Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you were single and childfree, how much money would you need to live comfortably?

(40 Posts)
Namila Sat 16-Dec-17 17:46:46

Out of sheer curiosity, I wonder what other single and childfree people in their late 20s need to live comfortably. Or what people who are married and with DC think they would need to live comfortably if they were single and childfree.

With "comfortably' I don't mean luxury holidays and high-end shopping every other day, but not needing to count every penny either. A reasonable level of financial comfort according to your own needs and desiders.

Thank you for your replies!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 16-Dec-17 17:50:12

Well, if I lived here (West Country) as opposed to the SE, I think I'd be OK on the £2.2k pcm that I keep out of my £42k salary (still making student loan repayments).

Wouldn't cut it in a more expensive area though.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 16-Dec-17 17:50:50

I'm a nurse and comfortably off. Too if band 5 so about £28.000 with unsocial hours on top.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 16-Dec-17 17:51:34

No student loan to pay off and landlord under charges on rent.

gingerbreadmam Sat 16-Dec-17 17:52:14

I'm north east and I reckon if I was on 2k a month i'd probably manage quite nicely

mustbemad17 Sat 16-Dec-17 17:56:18

I was managing on £2k a month with DD so i reckon £1500 easy on my own! If I moved up North that would be bloody luxury tho

RosesInTheHospital Sat 16-Dec-17 18:00:32

About £1.5k. Pays all the bills, some for saving and some for fun.

crisscrosscranky Sat 16-Dec-17 18:09:18

If I were single I'd need a salary of £70k to secure a mortgage on a decent flat in the area.

I don't feel like my kids cost anymore than I used to spend in the pub so I guess my current salary less childcare costs?

RitaPanda Sat 16-Dec-17 18:10:01

Are we talking London & South East? If so, I wouldn’t fancy less than £50k gross salary, assuming you want to save a bit and pay into a pension.
Know a lot of people survive on much less though.

Do you own or rent?
Would you be prepared to take a room in a house share, or would you want your own place? That would make a massive difference in London

Namila Sat 16-Dec-17 18:39:02

RitaPanda yes I agree that housing in London would make a massive difference in determining how much money one needs!

Some of my closest friends live on their own in Chelsea/ South Kensington and spend £1700-2000 in rent and house bills every month! But of course living on your own in a terribly expensive neighborhood is not something most people feel they need in order to be comfortable.

ImAMarshmellow Sat 16-Dec-17 18:53:28

I'm north east so on my own I think £1500 would allow a 2 bed house, car and the. Spends for food/clothes etc, £2000 would be suitable to x2 adults assuming no debts, reasonable travelling costs etc. If there was kids; probably a similar amount plus whatever childcare costs you have,

Loveactuallyoctopus Sat 16-Dec-17 18:56:36

Living in the house I do now (which to be fair is too big for 1 person) id be comfortable on my wage.. About £1200 a month. I'm up north.

RitaPanda Sat 16-Dec-17 19:11:50

Even when I lived in a house share in a nice but not posh part of London I was paying £850 month for my room and that was 5/6 years ago.

Namila Sat 16-Dec-17 19:19:25

RitaPanda yes I agree, £850 is an average rate for a bedroom in a shared house in London.

I live in SW London zone 2 and the rates here are: £1100/1300 for a studio, £1400/1600 for a one bed, £1600/2000 for a two bed.

I am lucky enough to rent a lovely two bedroom apartment with a childhood friend (so no random flatmates!) but otherwise I'd have to rent on my own as I don't think I could tolerate sharing with strangers any longer.

MyDcAreMarvel Sat 16-Dec-17 19:21:38

£1600 a month net would pay the mortgage and bills and leave plenty of disposable income.

spankhurst Sat 16-Dec-17 19:25:52

I’m in Oxfordshire and would need about 2k to be comfortable.

greendale17 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:27:03

1.3k a month

BitchQueen90 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:28:21

Current income is about £20k a year after tax and I currently live comfortably on that, single parent with one DS.

If I was single and childless I could probably take about £3k a year off that and be comfortable. I have no childcare costs so would just need a bit less to feed/clothe/treat DS and would live in a one bedroom place instead of a 2. East Midlands area.

TheZeppo Sat 16-Dec-17 19:30:37

I'm a teacher in the midlands. Have been single and childless forever 😂(Mid 30s now).

Take home pay, I have always been fine. Felt comfortable at £1200 take home. Now I'm over £2k per month. Outgoings have increased though.

Fruitcocktail6 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:31:50

We earn about 75k between us. Most of that is DPs earnings, mine are shite at the moment.

It's a lot but we are in SE and still paying off our first car with insane insurance as dp is a new driver. We are comfortable but not luxury holidays, fancy car type comfortable.

LewisFan Sat 16-Dec-17 19:33:35

Are you all crazy?! I'm alone with a teenage son on 1700 a month and we're doing ok...

More than that, for one person? I can't get my head around that!

Leatherboundanddown Sat 16-Dec-17 19:34:47

For me about £2k each month.

Viviennemary Sat 16-Dec-17 19:37:22

Are people counting mortgage/rent in this figure. Because that can vary hugely.

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 16-Dec-17 21:08:03

These single childfree people might be the type who 'have' to spend £100+ on a night out, or 'have' to spend hundreds of pounds a month on clothes, beauty treatments, haircuts and the like. You could have a grand a month there before you consider things like food, transport and utility bills.

BulletFox Sat 16-Dec-17 21:13:53

Not much really. I have furniture, clothes, china, I drink and smoke too much whilst stressed but that's about all.

Area where I'm living is cheap.

Sooo...could theoretically get by on £1k per month at present (to include everything).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now