Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ds has a second hand coat for new school in Jan

(74 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sat 16-Dec-17 15:49:55

It has someone else's initials on it. I am the least crafty person I know and can be guaranteed to mess up any removal attempt.
Would it be easier to just change his name?

Mosaic123 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:52:04

Can you ask a friend to cover the initials with a new label with his name on it?

Much cheaper than changing his name - I'm assuming that you are joking about this.

PaxUniversalis Sat 16-Dec-17 15:53:26

Are the other person's initials visible? If not I'd leave it. If you'd like your DS's initials in the coat then maybe take it to a local seamstress? Or a dry cleaners, they usually do that kind of thing.

LadyintheRadiator Sat 16-Dec-17 15:54:07

Sharpie?

RJnomore1 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:54:29

Cut the label off?

Witchend Sat 16-Dec-17 15:59:17

Change his name. Much better. Tell the teacher you'll change his name every winter depending on coat.

Bearfrills Sat 16-Dec-17 16:00:36

Colour over it with a Sharpie and write his initials elsewhere.

Our school does a nearly new uniform sale for 50p per item. I gave them a bag of uniform things the DC had grown out of. I forgot to cross their names of the labels and whoever bought them forgot to write their DC's names on. For a entire term my DC kept bringing home "lost property" that had been returned to them by their teachers and at the end of term I had to re-give the school the entire bag of uniform all over again.

abbsisspartacus Sat 16-Dec-17 16:01:44

Stain remover?

StealthPolarBear Sat 16-Dec-17 16:06:50

Yes it's embroidered on the front. I like the idea of a new season a new name..
Si...boysnames beginning with v anyone?

DelurkingAJ Sat 16-Dec-17 16:09:29

Where are you? I’m competent (although far from professional) and will happily meet if local and sort it?!

Sensimilla Sat 16-Dec-17 16:10:44

The initials are embrodiered on the front on the coat???

rizlett Sat 16-Dec-17 16:10:53

Does he look like a Victor?

zzzzz Sat 16-Dec-17 16:11:05

Just clip the stitches and pull them out.

Smarmydrippings Sat 16-Dec-17 16:11:19

Vernon fgrin

ScreamingValenta Sat 16-Dec-17 16:11:56

How big is it - could you cover it with a sew on/iron on patch?

rizlett Sat 16-Dec-17 16:12:00

Or just go gender neutral with Vee. wink

NinonDeLenclos Sat 16-Dec-17 16:13:27

Just buy an unpicker, it's hard to mess that up.

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 16-Dec-17 16:13:57

Certainly in those circumstances name changing is the way to go.

What is the other initial? So far I can only think of Vincent, Victor or Valentine. Or you could make things really easy and just change his name to whatever the boy who's coat i used to be was called.

Was he someone you would like to be associated and constantly mixed up with? Yes, Vincent Jones, straight A student, football captain, violin master or was it Victor Smith, delinquent and no longer needs his school coat because he is now wearing a tracksuit in the local YOI?

Bearfrills Sat 16-Dec-17 16:14:29

Vincent/Vinnie?

Eminybob Sat 16-Dec-17 16:14:41

If it’s embroidered, can you get one of those “quick unpick” tools? I seem to remember them from sewing classes when I was at school

abbsisspartacus Sat 16-Dec-17 16:16:07

Buy a patch

pinkblink Sat 16-Dec-17 16:16:15

I'm all for second hand stuff, I'm just curious why you have gone for one with a visible wrong initial?!

RJnomore1 Sat 16-Dec-17 16:16:44

Vincent jones?

Would that be VINNIE jones?

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 16-Dec-17 16:17:38

Do you have or know anyone with a sewing machine? They usually come with a little tool kit including a stitch ripper.

Or are there any haberdashers or alterations shops nearby? There's a lovely lady in our local market who does all sorts of sewing jobs for what seem like ridiculously cheap prices. Someone like that could sort it out for you.

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 16-Dec-17 16:19:21

Ha ha forgotten about Vinnie Jones. I was nearly there with the football captain, but he might not make it on the other factors.

Could be worse, it could have belonged to Val Doonican and Junior SPB could end up walking around with VD on his front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now