Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do I need to pay babysitter anyway?

(57 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Sat 16-Dec-17 13:44:00

Had to cancel tonight as dd has been throwing up since lunch. Should I be paying babysitter anyway?

ladystarkers Sat 16-Dec-17 13:47:16

I would its only fair and if you want to use her again would be a good idea.

I charge half if it’s same day but less then 4h before, less then 4h before I charge full price if I get a cancellation

INeedNewShoes Sat 16-Dec-17 14:39:55

I think it depends a bit on whether this is someone who is a babysitter for a living or the 15 year old who lives across the road.

The former, I would offer to pay in full (but I'd hope she'd only accept half), the latter I'm not so sure.

When I babysat as a teenager I would never expect a cancellation to lead to payment anyway.

But if the 15 year old over the road has turned away plans because of the babysitting and is expecting the money why shouldn’t she/he get some form of compensation for it?

user1493413286 Sat 16-Dec-17 14:46:59

Unless it’s through an agency etc then no.

WillowWept Sat 16-Dec-17 14:48:03

I always offer but my babysitter always declines.

allegretto Sat 16-Dec-17 14:49:02

No.

Bluntness100 Sat 16-Dec-17 14:50:47

I’m not sure I would take advantage of a 15 year old like that.

I’d pay due to short notice, their choice if they accept.

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 16-Dec-17 14:53:56

It's a nursery worker who occasionally sits for us- I offered to pay something as I felt bad and she has said yes.
It would have been £30 for the 3 hours tonight- give full amount or I'm thinking £15 is ok?

PersianCatLady Sat 16-Dec-17 14:55:24

£10 an hour for babysitting.

Times have changed

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 16-Dec-17 14:57:25

I know I used to be happy with a tenner for the evening and a packet of crisps

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Sat 16-Dec-17 14:59:20

I'm a nanny who babysits. If someone cancelled the same day I would expect 4 hours pay as that's my minimum booking. I rely on the money to pay my bills (currently not working) and wouldn't be able to fill the space at short notice (if I was able to i wouldn't charge).

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 16-Dec-17 15:01:20

I'd pay the £15, you may want to use her again and if you don't pay anything then you'll go bottom of the list. Full pay for nothing I think is too much. She will still be able to go out if cancelled this early.

Jaxhog Sat 16-Dec-17 15:03:38

Of course you should pay her if you cancel at short notice. It isn't her fault you cancelled.

Raaaaaah Sat 16-Dec-17 15:04:07

I pay. Sometimes a babysitter will decline so I will add it on to a future payment. I used to babysit a lot and when people cancelled last minute they never paid.

pisacake Sat 16-Dec-17 15:04:35

"She will still be able to go out if cancelled this early."

Go out? She might have had another booking . Why do you assume she wants to get pissed? It's Christmas, must be peak time for babysitters, surely?

Downtheroadfirstonleft Sat 16-Dec-17 15:11:03

I would absolutely pay.

nocoolnamesleft Sat 16-Dec-17 15:17:56

Pay. If you hadn't booked her, she'd probably have booked for someone else. Must be peak working time.

tararabumdeay Sat 16-Dec-17 15:33:17

Yes, you need to pay. Otherwise, you'd be an 18th century capitalist mill owner who turns employees away at the door no matter what impact that may have on their shivering, starving families.

emmaluvseeyore Sat 16-Dec-17 15:37:13

I would offer to pay. I had someone cancel on me last weekend and I’d actually turned down another job that called at the last minute. Luckily they still paid me the full amount. I would’ve been really pissed off otherwise. I rely on babysitting to top up my low income.

cdtaylornats Sat 16-Dec-17 15:46:14

How upset would you be if the babysitter cancelled on you?

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 16-Dec-17 15:47:30

Go out? She might have had another booking . Why do you assume she wants to get pissed? It's Christmas, must be peak time for babysitters, surely?

Who said anything about getting pissed? hmm don't judge everyone by your own standards.

Yes, it's Christmas, also peak time for going out surely?

pisacake Sat 16-Dec-17 16:38:22

"Who said anything about getting pissed? don't judge everyone by your own standards."

You what? It's you that's judging. Nowt wrong with getting pissed. The suggestion that she wants to go out is rather presumptuous, it doesn't matter WHAT she would be doing. Presumably she wanted the money, hence taking the job.

"Yes, it's Christmas, also peak time for going out surely?"

Well yes, for people who have made prior arrangements like Christmas parties, etc. Not so much for people who've just been cancelled to work at half-a-day's notice.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 16-Dec-17 16:53:10

FFS! I couldn't care less whether she want's to go out and get pissed or not. You are the one that mentioned getting pissed (sounds like you might be now tbh).

Neither of us have any idea what the babysitters personal circumstances are. Sounds like she may be a young girl from the OPs description. It is possible to go out without it being an arranged party and to have a drink or not and also still possible to get another job at late notice too.

If you worked part time for a supermarket or a bar/restaurant or a shop and they called you in the afternoon to say they didn't need you that night, would you expect to get paid anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now