Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Are Sleepyheads worth the money?

(38 Posts)
pomadas87 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:20:38

We have a 2 week old DD and have some Mothercare vouchers to spend. I had my eye on the Sleephead Deluxe when I was pregnant but thought it seemed so expensive I couldn't justify buying it.

Now we have been given some vouchers, I wondered would it really be worth getting one? Or are they overhyped?
At the moment DD sleeps in a Mothercare Hyde crib in our room at night and in someone's arms or (occasionally) a bouncer in the sitting room in th daytime.

I thought the Sleepyhead would be useful for safe daytime naps and also taking to her grandmas for overnight sleeping.

If you have one (or an alternative?) please let me know your thoughts - are they worth the money??

Hugepeppapigfan Sat 16-Dec-17 13:25:13

Yes. Hugely useful. I loved ours so much! DC slept in it in a wooden crib in our room then on top of cot mattress when moved into own room. We also used it in the travel cot and downstairs for daytime naps.

ajb17 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:34:13

My son loved it until about 3 months when he became too broad to get comfortable in it and it was more restrictive than helpful. We used it for daytime naps in the early days and for night sleeping. Babies can become dependant on them to sleep, so bear that in mind as it may be tricky to wean off it later on. If you have a good sleeper already, I'd buy something else like a good bouncy chair or save for a jumperoo in a few months.

Kpo58 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:34:32

I found it really useful as DD wouldn't let me put her down so I could sleep without it. It saved my sanity.

ginandnappies Sat 16-Dec-17 13:34:51

Yes yes and yes.

Nightmanagerfan Sat 16-Dec-17 13:37:04

Official advice is that babies sleep on a flat mattress with nothing in the cot - I have never understood why sleepyheads seem to be deemed “ok”.

Amatree Sat 16-Dec-17 13:37:47

It's the best thing we ever bought. Wedged DS in it until about 9 months and he transitioned out of it no problems despite our fears. Love it!

nolurkynolighty Sat 16-Dec-17 13:38:45

check out the babymoov cosydream before you buy. it's a fraction of the cost and worked great for us. can be adjusted as the baby grows too.

JellyBert Sat 16-Dec-17 13:39:25

Didn’t work for us! He was a screamer for the first 6 weeks though (wind)

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 16-Dec-17 13:39:36

nightmanager do some research then. They’re totally safe. Why wouldn’t they be? The side are fully breathable.

They’re worth the money if your baby likes them! Mine slept brilliantly in it and we could take it anywhere we went meaning she always settled. She came out of it at about five months though as it became restrictive to her.

jellypi3 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:41:13

My daughter loved hers. We stopped her using it when she could roll over though.

NameChange30 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:44:01

Pros:
- can be a lifesaver if your baby wakes up every time they’re put down (this is why we bought one, and it definitely helped, but just delayed solving the problem, as he outgrew it and still wakes often when put down)
- can be used on any flat surface so useful for moving around the house. You can use it instead of a Moses basket for example

Cons:
- weaning them off when they outgrow it can be a nightmare
- expensive and spare covers also expensive
- you have to take it with you which is fine when travelling by car but a bit annoying when travelling by train or plane

In hindsight I wish we had tried swaddling him instead as a swaddle is cheaper and more portable. If that had worked we could have saved money on the Sleepyhead and maybe had an easier time gradually removing the swaddle.

pomadas87 Sat 16-Dec-17 14:01:33

I was also wondering about how soon she'd outgrow it - she is quite sturdy and is already 10lbs9oz at 2 weeks old. Would I be better getting a cheaper alternative for daytime naps as she does sleep okay in her little crib at night (for the moment!).

It's mainly having somewhere safe to put her in the daytime that appeals to me, and that we could take it for overnight trips easily.

PurplePillowCase Sat 16-Dec-17 14:05:21

They’re totally safe. Why wouldn’t they be? The side are fully breathable.

they are only safe if used correctly, i.e. on a hard surface and not next to walls or furniture. so not safe in the cot and not in the parent's bed for example.

Nightmanagerfan Sat 16-Dec-17 14:29:51

The sleepyhead website says they should only be used for supervised sleeping which presumably doesn’t mean overnight.

The NHS and Lullaby Trust all advice an empty cot and firm clear mattress

www.lullabytrust.org.uk/safer-sleep-advice/clear-cot/

Kittykat93 Sat 16-Dec-17 14:56:01

We have one to use downstairs and we love it. Also used it in his cot to sleep at night for the first couple of nights until midwife told us not to as it is only safe for supervised sleeping

NameChange30 Sat 16-Dec-17 16:53:45

“It's mainly having somewhere safe to put her in the daytime that appeals to me, and that we could take it for overnight trips easily.”

A travel cot would do that and would last much longer. You could get a compact, light one that’s easy to take with you.

happymummy12345 Sat 16-Dec-17 16:56:47

I never saw the point of them myself. Ds only slept in his crib upstairs, then in the cot. He never needed anything else, and I didn't see the point of getting it when he slept fine.

Scaredycat3000 Sat 16-Dec-17 17:40:07

BBC news
What is so hard to understand for companies, babies sleep safest co sleeping on a clear bed, next safest in a clear cot with parent present, unnecessary risks are co-sleeping whilst drunk, medicated, on a sofa, any sleeping with soft toys, pillows, duvets, cot bumpers, on front, being by themselves. Oh yes, no money to be made!
I came out of the baby stage feeling very very ripped off at a very vulnerable time.

taybert Sat 16-Dec-17 17:52:24

They don’t meet safe sleep guidelines. They are being sneaky when they quote all the safety standards- they are standards for pillows and breathable materials. All pillows should meet those standards- they still aren’t considered safe for babies to sleep on.

That said, there also isn’t any evidence that they specifically are unsafe, just that the safest place is on a firm mattress, in their own cot, in the parents’ room. It isn’t easy guidance to follow (I didn’t manage it) but you should be aware of that so that your choice is an informed one.

EssentialHummus Sat 16-Dec-17 17:54:36

I bought one. Don't regret it but I don't think it did anything for DD's sleep, and the cost is extortionate for what it is. In hindsight I'd try fashioning one out of a rolled-up towel with a muslin over it.

pomadas87 Sat 16-Dec-17 18:40:15

Thanks. So what would people advise for daytime naps if not a sleepyhead?

Namechange30 Sat 16-Dec-17 18:45:40

Travel cot as I said above, then you’ll get more use out of it.

For a big, young baby, it’s a PITA lifting them in and out of a travel cot, so I suggest one with adjustable height or a bassinet part or one side which can be unzipped fully.

Alphin Sat 16-Dec-17 19:00:28

I loved my sleepyhead, but only because I had babies who wouldn't be put down! I ordered one at 4am in desperation with DD (I'd love to see stats on what % are middle of the night desperation buys, when £100 seems like a small price to pay!). Her sleep immediately improved- frequent waking but at least I could put her down. However, it was difficult to transition her out of it so when DS came along I was determined to try without. He also wouldn't be put down, and the sleepyhead worked again, at least until 5.5 months when he started rolling in his sleep. He was easy to transition out though.

If your baby sleeps ok without I wouldn't buy one.

For daytime sleep I used either the sleepyhead upstairs or a poddle pod downstairs. They are similar but a lot cheaper. DS grew out of it at about 5 months and I was happy at that stage for him to nap in his cot. I don't get on well with travel cots as they seem to wake in the long bend over to put them down.

Sleepyheads do hold their resale value well- I used mine for 2 children and have just sold it for £50.

MyDcAreMarvel Sat 16-Dec-17 19:01:53

Sleepyheads have been recalled in the US.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now