Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Center Parks advice please

(19 Posts)
FancyPuffin Sat 16-Dec-17 12:07:21

Looking at booking next year and totally clueless! I have a load of questions and no one to ask

What's it like in August or would October be better?

Are the paths for cycling quite flat? Could you use a scooter on them for example?

Are all bike options 2 wheel or are there 3 wheel ones?

Thank you flowers

AlsoKnownAsMillicent Sat 16-Dec-17 12:18:13

Longleat site has zigzag paths on slope which isn't great for cycling, Woburn one also on a slope... Elvedene flatter. You can get bike trailers for kids?

Are you going for the kids activities / sports etc or the spa / pampering? Because I've stayed at all the UK centerparcs locations and went to one in Holland in October for the first time - much lower cost even with the crossing. And the site there was completely flat. Options for adult trikes with two seats on front/back and also electric buggies. Also had a ski centre. Pool was fab and different stuff on offer than what you get in UK.

But while good for active stuff it didn't have the AquaSana.

Rawhh Sat 16-Dec-17 13:01:35

Off season will be slightly less heaving than Summer and it will be cheaper.

Cumbria, Elveden and Sherwood are the best for biking.

You can get the adult trikes but I imagine would need to be booked well in advance.

FancyPuffin Sat 16-Dec-17 13:31:28

That's fab thanks Also and Rawhh

FaithEverPresent Sat 16-Dec-17 13:38:09

August will be busy and ££££. Depends what kind of holiday you want.
We took bikes to Longleat, we were far away from most stuff. The paths are pretty good for cycling but as Also says they were very steep in places. I’m not very fit and I had to get off and push!

Arronsmissus Sat 16-Dec-17 13:56:49

Center parcs is not hilly.

Bringbeboback Sat 16-Dec-17 14:02:52

I’ve only been to sherwood and it’s flat for cycling (maybe a very slight Hill in parts but pretty much flat throughout). I’d go in October as it’s half the price to go then and still busy with a great atmosphere. Because of all the tall trees everywhere it protects you a bit from getting drenched if you get rainy weather. Plenty of indoor stuff to do too

Seeline Sat 16-Dec-17 14:09:01

Cycling is fine at Elvden and Sherwood and would work well for scooters too. Also good for little ones as very little traffic about (just Park vehicles).
Been several times in October and it has been lovely. Usually enough good weather to do what you want outside and the pool for when it's not.
Are you taking kids and if so how old?

FancyPuffin Sat 16-Dec-17 14:22:36

It would be me, husband and dd who is 9. I'm definitely leaning towards October now.

flowers

eurochick Sat 16-Dec-17 14:30:08

Arron, Longleat most definitely is!

Viviennemary Sat 16-Dec-17 14:33:37

I've only been to the Sherwood one and that was a long time ago. The paths were flat and I was the shakiest most nervous cyclist ever and still managed quite well. I don't think I'd go in August. We went around springtime. October would be good too.

smudgedlipstick Sat 16-Dec-17 14:34:07

We went to longleat this October, we hiked up and down the hill and pretty much collapsed at the top each time 😂 the hill is brutal there, I have heard the other ones are no way near as hilly as longleat

HashtagTired Sat 16-Dec-17 14:44:12

Longleat is hilly but does have s land train. If it's just theee of you, book in Pine area and it's flat (ish) to the plaza and village square.

flowery Sat 16-Dec-17 14:46:13

Woburn is also hilly.

HeadDreamer Sat 16-Dec-17 14:51:05

Oh longleat is very hilly! It is a huge hike to get from the centre where we stayed to the lake for fireworks. I won’t rely on the land train. We were there in November and saw families who couldn’t get on them as they were full.

Arronsmissus Sat 16-Dec-17 15:12:45

Ive done all 5 CP in the UK and they are not hilly. People see a hill and think its a mountain.

ForalltheSaints Sat 16-Dec-17 16:25:17

There is a thread about rear entrances that is legendary on MN. Which I thought I would mention before anyone else does.

Before recommending you look at the Netherlands options for Center Parcs if you plan to cycle a lot.

flowery Sat 16-Dec-17 18:35:27

”People see a hill and think its a mountain”

No, they see a hill and think it’s hill therefore describe it as “hilly”!

Woburn has warnings on its various hills telling cyclists to dismount due to the incline.

FaithEverPresent Sun 17-Dec-17 09:03:33

No, I definitely saw a hill! All the bit beyond the spa at ‘westside’ Longleat is accessed up a hill. Not horrendous but not for the unfit on a bike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now