Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Stopping breastfeeding at 7 weeks?

(53 Posts)
Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 10:17:10

No judgement please, I’ve done enough of that myself.

DS is 7 weeks today, and he’s feeding literally every hour - 2 hours. I haven’t slept longer than 1.5 hours since he was born, I am absolutely exhausted. And have a 3 year old to look after.

I had a scary birth/hemmorage afterwards, I’m anemic from this still, and got diagnosed with mastitis and PND on Monday.

I just don’t know how else to try and get myself back than to stop. The fear of mastitis again has absolutely pushed me over the edge health anxiety wise and I literally have not been able to put him down all night because he just wants the boob. My nipples are stinging like a motherfucker and my boobs still aren’t empty. I feel so run down!

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 10:17:56

How do I stop without increasing the risk of mastitis again?
HV said drop 1 feed at a time but how Can I when his feeds are constant?

nicknamehelp Sat 16-Dec-17 10:20:57

How about mix feeding so slowly cut out bf will probably be kinder on both of u. Ie baby gets used to it and u hopefully don get mastitis.

Don't worry what others think u have to do what is best for u and your family

Branleuse Sat 16-Dec-17 10:25:02

I think sudafed dries milk up quickly. Thats why its a no no when breastfeeding.
Have you managed to get him to take a bottle though?

hollowtree Sat 16-Dec-17 10:30:18

Don't feel guilty at all OP you've done amazingly well. Give yourself a break and stop if you need to.

If you want, you could pump? You choose when to express and can keep going until you're empty. Then just feed baby bottle! It worked for us but that is because I couldn't latch so the only way to breastfeed. Pumping can also be tiring so don't feel bad for wanting to use formula. 7 weeks is amazing well done you flowers

MoreSleepPlease6 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:34:31

If you offer a bottle in the morning he should then drop that feed until maybe 2 hours later. Then maybe BF for the rest of the day and offer another bottle late afternoon/early evening. Give that a few days then offer a bottle half way between those two bottles - so maybe lunchtime and then midnight ish. Again give that a few days and up the bottles again flowers It's unlikely, even on bottles, that he will go much longer than 2 hours for the moment.

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 10:37:28

It’s not the timing between feeds it’s that I’m the only one that can physically do it.

I didn’t expect it would take its toll so much emotionally. It’s got to the point now where when he starts to root I’m resenting feeding and getting upset, which I then feel guilty about because I adore the chubby fluffy headed little guy.

MoreSleepPlease6 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:37:46

Also maybe try a dummy? We gave DS one at 4 weeks and it literally saved my breastfeeding journey (Not saying give one so you can carry on BF but it might settle him more in between feeds, particularly at night)

AnonEvent Sat 16-Dec-17 10:37:52

You can stop whenever you want to, it is entirely your choice.

I second trying to mix feed or pump for a while until DC has go used to a bottle and your body has got used to not breastfeeding every hour.

I BF DD for only a few weeks before migrating to FF, I physically and mentally needed a break. It was the right thing for us as a family, I could sleep, DH could share feeds, I could recover from the birth (EMCS). DD is 14 months now and completely healthy, well-attached, confident and happy.

InvisibleToEveryone Sat 16-Dec-17 10:39:16

How about, giving him 20 minutes each side and then topping up with a bottle.
For every feed.

And gradually cut down to 15 minutes etc.

That way you're naturally slowing down the bf rather than a big stop.

MoreSleepPlease6 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:40:14

I completely understand, I used to hide when he started rooting blush grin. Do what's best for you and your family flowers but I would say do it gradually as the hormone crash is massive and if you are already feeling very emotional then gradual withdrawal will be much kinder on both of you smile

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 10:42:10

He only feeds for around 10 mins a side on 1 side each feed. I was worried it wasn’t enough but he’s gained 2lbs in the past14 days!

ems137 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:44:18

It's so hard when they're so small and demanding and you need to do what's best for all of you.

My 3rd baby was so so difficult and I introduced a bottle of formula from around a week old. Because she was used to it from so young if I was having a bad day she would happily have several bottles so I only breastfed a couple of times. She also had a dummy.

I ended up bf until she was 13 months but because the pressure wasn't 100% on me it didn't feel like such a chore

flumpybear Sat 16-Dec-17 10:48:57

I started combi feeding to slow down BF with both my children (6 weeks for first child and 2 weeks onwards for second child) I don't regret a moment of stopping bf (slowly gave up bf entirely after 6-8 weeks but could have done it quicker )

flumpybear Sat 16-Dec-17 10:50:00

Oh yes, dummy too, first baby wouldn't have one but second baby was very demanding and found a dummy helped a lot

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 10:52:56

He has a dummy but unsure when to give it to him, as I don’t want him to miss feeds because of it?

Also half the time he spits it out. Suppose it’s a start though!

Sparklyuggs Sat 16-Dec-17 10:53:37

If you can, I'd mix feed and cut down gradually. I couldn't and got mastitis which was utter hell. If not, la Leche league said to hand express to take the edge off.

It's one type of sudafed that dries up milk, you can Google which.

Hedgehoghogger Sat 16-Dec-17 10:57:56

He's likely having a massive growth spurt (with that weight gain) and he should settle down again very soon. I'm not saying carry on, but take it into account. Maybe give him another couple of days and see if he sorts himself out. I know how awful it can feel though. Giving a bottle doesn't have to mean the end of bf either so remember that. But do look after yourself. Anyone who can take the older one for a bit ?

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 11:03:20

Older one goes to pre school and my DM is very helpful with him but I bloody miss him!

Constantly checking my boobs for red patches 🙄 anxiety is a bitch.

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 11:05:03

@Hedgehoghogger he’s gained on average 1lb a week, he was only 6lbs something at a week old, weedy little thing compared to DS1 who was 8lbs 10 bless him.

Beansonapost Sat 16-Dec-17 11:06:08

You can stop whenever you like!

I personally found breastfeeding worked best when I started co-sleeping with my first as she fed every hour! And evenings were a nightmare as all she ever did was cluster feed. But once I started co-sleeping I found I got enough rest and she was happy and fed!

I was also diagnosed with PND, anxiety and I had low iron with my first... I wasn't right at all and had numerous mental break downs as I found it so challenging.

With my second I went straight into co-sleeping etc. And I've found while my depression etc hasn't completely gone having a good nights rest makes all the difference. From my experience I don't understand how breastfeeding can work without co-sleeping, I dread to think how I'd cope if I was still attempting to get up and feed.

I'd do what pp have suggested start replacing feeds with formula... and don't worry about a dummy babies spot them out when they're hungry!

And you can always pump and give him in a bottle so someone else can feed while you get a break.

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 11:38:14

Could I start cutting down now whilst still on antibiotics?

Hedgehoghogger Sat 16-Dec-17 11:56:20

That's an amazing weight gain! But ouch to the mastitis. It's hideous.

Do you want to stop or do you want it to be easier? If you want to stop make sure as others have said that you start to cut down very gradually. I think it would be best to wait until the infection has definitely cleared to cut down - as cutting down is a risky time for mastitis. Are you using warmth on your boob as well to help it along?

If you want it to be easier, are you co-sleeping with him? And I promise he won't always feed every hour although it really seems like it right now.

I know that feeling of desperately wanting a break from the older one... and then missing them as soon as they're gone. Sigh. What have they said about the PND? Did they give you antidepressants or do you have anyone to talk to about how you feel? Do you have a partner? Are they helping in useful ways?

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 12:07:42

I don’t know. Both really. I want to stop due to the fear of mastitis again, I’m driving myself mad with it. Can’t stop reading about it, checking my boobs, panicking cause I feel like I’m getting w cold when in reality it’s probably just exhaustion.

We have A Snuzpod so he sleeps by me in the bed with the side down.

Ohb0llocks Sat 16-Dec-17 12:10:14

To help it along what? It hasn’t been sore since tuesday (day after I started antibiotics), and he has been feeding off it etc.

Partner tries to help but I think he feels a bit helpless at the minute. He’s supportive with whatever I want to do but he sees that the situation I’m in at the minute is destroying me.

I really wanted to enjoy DS2s ‘baby’ time and I feel like I’m just not. With DS1 I was in a horribly abhsive relationship, and I can’t remember most of his baby time, my only real memories are from him being around 8 months when his dad and I split.

I don’t want any more children and I feel like my time with my little baby is just being wasted on stress and tears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now