Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What's the best nit treatment?

(29 Posts)
MrsZB Sat 16-Dec-17 08:39:04

I am struggling to get rid of the little fuckers.

I do comb with the nitty gritty but it's taking ages to clear them.

So I want to do a chemical treatment today on all 3 of us and then continue with combing.

I used vamousse recently but that didn't kill them. Is hedrin better?

Thank you in advance.

shadesofwinter Sat 16-Dec-17 08:40:03

Herding has always worked for us.

TotemIcePole Sat 16-Dec-17 08:40:27

Hedrin spray gel is very good.

shadesofwinter Sat 16-Dec-17 08:40:48

Nooooo!

Hedrin grin

MrsZB Sat 16-Dec-17 08:41:43

I could try herding them!

MrsZB Sat 16-Dec-17 08:42:33

Ok I tried the hedrin mousse but that wasn't good. I'll get the proper hedrin and coat us all in that.

shadesofwinter Sat 16-Dec-17 08:44:29

Yes, I've only ever used the lotion stuff.

I have never, ever attempted nit herding.

ProperLavs Sat 16-Dec-17 08:44:58

listerine

MrsZB Sat 16-Dec-17 08:45:42

I do have listerine. Do you just pour it on?!?

Viserion Sat 16-Dec-17 08:45:48

Herding 😂 , perfect typo!

We use that too.

Mamabear14 Sat 16-Dec-17 08:47:00

When DS got them a few years ago, he had long curly hair. Vamoose worked better than hedrin for us.

GreenRut Sat 16-Dec-17 08:47:03

I had a job getting rid of 2dc's lice recently. What finally worked was Hedrin moose, you don't comb after (you can if you want to), you just apply again 7 days later.

MrsZB Sat 16-Dec-17 08:48:30

Mama bear - I used vamousse recently. I left it on for ages but then when I combed them out they were still wriggling. I couldn't believe it! So it seems it doesn't work for us unfortunately.

falaciousreasoning Sat 16-Dec-17 08:49:38

Malt vinegar always works in my house. Pour it on the head and make sure hair is soaked. Wrap in a towel for around an hour then wash out.
Needs more than one wash to get rid of the chip shop smell.

OhforfucksakeFay Sat 16-Dec-17 08:50:42

Hedrin once. Suffocates them and the eggs
I
You'll still see the eggs for months as they are stuck to the hair shaft but they'll be dead and won't hatch.
Make sure you repeat in 7 days as per instructions to get them all

oneboy3girls Sat 16-Dec-17 10:28:00

Lots of hair conditioner

ProperLavs Sat 16-Dec-17 10:40:29

I use the gold listerine as it has no added sweeteners and seems to be the most powerful one. I put a large plastic bowl in the sink, stand over it and pour the listerine over my head , the bowl catches the excess which I keep repouring from. This method saves wastage and is more economical.
I then wrap my head in cling film to keep the hair soaking and cover this with a towel.
It has NEVER failed to work. I don't know if it kills the eggs so sometimes I will re do in a week.

I have 6 kids and over the years have tried pretty much all commercial brands( which cost a bloody fortune) and other methods. Now I am no longer dread headlice.

Neapolitanpink Sat 16-Dec-17 11:53:13

Same as method properlavs . I spent a fortune on the proper methods and while they worked on some of my DC they didn't work on DDs very fine hair.

Also as a preventative I use the vossene anti nit shampoo on all the DC and give regular comb throughs with the nitty gritty comb and we haven't had them for ages.

Vintagegoth Sat 16-Dec-17 13:36:45

Just tried Hedrin Once and keeping everything crossed. Went through the hair with a Nitty Gritty comb and conditioner afterwards. Every louse that came out was stone dead.

MrsZB Sat 16-Dec-17 13:55:53

I got some hedrin once and have done all 3 of us with that. Haven't combed yet as well as the kids didn't like the hedrin so didn't want to torment them anymore. Will comb tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Notreallyarsed Sat 16-Dec-17 13:59:21

Hedrin (although I much prefer herding grin) spray gel followed by nitty gritty every day for a week, also Vosene repellent shampoo and spray. There’s a Mum in DD and DS2s Nursery who just will not treat her child’s lice, so we’ve spent a lot of time de-lousing recently.

ProseccoMamam Sat 16-Dec-17 14:25:36

Tea tree oil in conditioner left on for about an hour and then comb through all the dead lice, comb through each day until the nits are all gone. Then comb twice weekly to prevent outbreaks.

I have 2 DS, but LOTS of girls in my family and there are never any outbreaks of nits because we keep it under control in a military fashion grin

FlakeBook Sat 16-Dec-17 18:58:09

We used lyclear but comb, comb, comb with tons of conditioner every night was the only thing that worked. Took weeks and weeks to get rid of the little fuckers.

SkyIsTooHigh Sat 16-Dec-17 19:23:43

Nitty gritty every 2-3 days, late bedtime for DC. Not every day because it's too much effort and I get slack, but every 2-3 is really effective. For us, it's less effort in the long run than buying various concoctions that may or may not work.

MrsZB Sat 16-Dec-17 19:53:10

I'll comb again tomorrow. Yesterday when I was combing I saw a baby one on DDs scalp but couldn't get it with my fingers or comb it out. That's why I have got the chemicals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now