Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Christmas Guests, arghhhhh!

(10 Posts)
Allgirlskidsanddogs Sat 16-Dec-17 03:02:05

So father and newish girlfriend (less than 12 months together but have known each other 40+ years) are coming for Christmas.

In previous years he has always stayed with us. This year they have rented a gite for 3 or 4 nights locally. I offered them the spare room but they would rather have their own roof, fine by me.

Now they announce that that will be here for EVERY meal including breakfast which I think is rude. No thought into their plans fitting in with ours, the whole time is what works for them. How do I politely get them to turn up later in the mornings?

(He has form for being here for 2-3 nights, not lifting a finger to help or contributing in anyway. Last time he came for Christmas I arranged and wrapped the presents for him to give to his Grandchildren and he didn’t even buy me a bunch of flowers let alone a present. He would usually bring a bottle of champagne for Christmas Day but that didn’t happene either.)

Youllneverlivelikecommonpeople Sat 16-Dec-17 03:35:12

Perhaps suggest that dinners are fine but you're not that into breakfast and enjoy your lie-ins these days. And how about lunch at local pubs/restaurants so you don't end up spending all of your time in the kitchen.

MrsDilber Sat 16-Dec-17 04:39:20

I'd just say, we like a lie in over Christmas and we're not up and about till -- o'clock.

HarassedElf Sat 16-Dec-17 06:15:58

“We eat breakfast at 8 o clock. The closest bakery is ... We’ll eat [whatever] Thanks for offering. See you then!” Should cover it.

maras2 Sat 16-Dec-17 08:41:42

Baiseur Effronte (can't find the acute on this laptop) fgrin

BMW6 Sat 16-Dec-17 09:56:25

Reply "No, am not providing all meals for you. You are invited for ......... but other meals you will have to get elsewhere"

Nip this in the bud.

Tinselistacky Sat 16-Dec-17 10:00:18

Send him a pic of a Kellog's variety pack and ask him which ones he wants kept aside ..

SchadenfreudePersonified Sat 16-Dec-17 10:07:26

Tinsel

grin

But tell him the CocoPops are already spoken for.

He's being VERY cheeky and selfish - and she sounds the same. Most of us wouldn't dream of foisting ourselves on people- even people we know well, and you don't know her well.

As others have suggested - just say "Sorry - we can't give you breakfast and lunch, but would be delighted to see you both for dinner" *(or whatever meals you are prepared to provide).

I wouldn't suggest eating out because you will end up with the bill every single time.

*Easy in theory, not in practice, I know from experience.

Maelstrop Sat 16-Dec-17 10:09:53

Just text back saying doing breakfast doesn't work for you and you'll see them for lunch at -name of restaurant- so you can just offer snacks in the evening, no chained to the kitchen nonsense bar Christmas day.

Allgirlskidsanddogs Thu 21-Dec-17 22:26:34

Thanks all. Telephone conversation today asked if they could bring anything(!) so I mentioned breakfast, all sorted, they don’t eat it. Then, apparently, reveal she does eat gluten, but one meal a week should be OK😯

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now