Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone still up? 11yr old febrile hallucinations!

(24 Posts)
SchmetterlingeImBauch Sat 16-Dec-17 01:37:44

My DS has had night terrors from being young and they have thankfully dwindled to practically nothing over the last 2 years (there was a stage they were happening almost nightly about 3 years ago).

He’s poorly at the moment with a high temperature and cough, cold, eye infection, you name it...!

Tonight he is constantly getting up out of bed and in a hideous state of panicked, sweaty, clingy then shouty and scared hallucinations. He’s telling me ‘the house is covered in tablets’, ‘that speaker is MASSIVE, Mum, MASSIVE!’, ‘I just need to to to give you this mint that I have in my mouth’, ‘Mum, this whole head is just like it’s glued on with superglue’! He’s been in his brother’s room, waking him up and shouting for his stepdad, and clawing at the walls to try to escape from whatever he can see. He’s doing these weird silent screams, crying and really distressed. It’s quite terrifying to watch and so hard to get him out of it. sad

I am of course dosing him up with paracetamol and ibuprofen, trying to keep him cool, but he’s staying in bed for 45 minutes at the most before he’s up again.

My poor boy. Anyone else had this? It’s so terrifying and heartbreaking to see. He’s almost like he’s possessed. Yuck.

endofthelinefinally Sat 16-Dec-17 01:40:00

I would be getting medical advice pronto. He sounds really unwell.

Insomnibrat Sat 16-Dec-17 01:40:51

God no I haven't any experience but I'm so sorry you're all going through that! Sounds horrendous!!!!
Have you approached a DR about it?

tobeornottobe1 Sat 16-Dec-17 01:44:06

It could be because his got a fever but it could also be he has an infection in his head, please go to your local A&E as these symptoms are very worrying.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 16-Dec-17 01:44:25

Please ring 111

ohfourfoxache Sat 16-Dec-17 01:44:26

I really think you need to call 111 thanks

Flumpernickel Sat 16-Dec-17 01:49:46

I personally think 999/A&E for this, it does not sound like something you should mess around with OP.

endofthelinefinally Sat 16-Dec-17 02:56:26

Yes. Encephalitis was my first thought. I hope you have called fir advice op.

iamafraidofvirginiawolves3cats Sat 16-Dec-17 03:08:21

Bloody hell. Get help now- quick. Good luck.

Haudyerwheesht Sat 16-Dec-17 03:31:45

Get urgent medical advice

PringlesSmoothie Sat 16-Dec-17 03:33:39

See a dr

MrsGB2225 Sat 16-Dec-17 03:45:57

I hope everything is ok and you are with a doctor now

EnidButton Sat 16-Dec-17 03:47:35

I think A&E too. Sounds like he has a fever that needs checking out.

(The massive speaker thing is this btw. Nothing serious in itself, not why I'm saying A&E, just thought you might be interested to see that particular symptom has a name en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome
I got it every time I was ill as a child. Can remember it vividly. Haven't had it as an adult.)

Hillbillyhotel Sat 16-Dec-17 10:03:57

How is he this morning OP? Hope he's feeling much better flowers

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 16-Dec-17 10:08:46

Only just came across this thread.
How is your little one.

Lukeandlorelai4Ever Sat 16-Dec-17 10:08:50

How's he doing op? Must have been very frightening

DB24 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:11:01

Who the hell goes on mumsnet when their child is in this state? shock

corythatwas Sat 16-Dec-17 10:24:40

Poor lad. Hope he's feeling better now. flowers

Dd used to get like this with even a fairly moderate fever. She was delirious with chicken pox, which I didn't think you could do. Partly I think it was her being highly strung, partly that her normal body temperature was low, so even a moderate temperature (to normal people) would be a high temperature to her.

Bendyandtheinkmachine Sat 16-Dec-17 11:32:25

When my DD was about 4 she was quite unwell and started having hallucinations. She could see blood everywhere and said it was shooting out of the table. She was properly terrified (So was I). She still occasionally has these hallucinations when she is unwell but they are a lot less frequent. In your DS case I would seek medical advice as they seem more serious than my daughters.

JollyGiraffe Sat 16-Dec-17 13:31:10

Hope he's doing better this morning OP flowers

SantasLittleYelper Sat 16-Dec-17 15:56:55

How is he today OP?

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 16-Dec-17 16:01:25

Hope he's improving

TheHobbitMum Sat 16-Dec-17 16:06:03

How's your boy today op?

Flumpernickel Thu 21-Dec-17 00:57:50

Any updates OP? Hope he is better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now