Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Never having seen Star Wars is not an achievement

(40 Posts)
haveyouseemyhamster Sat 16-Dec-17 00:49:24

Radio presenter this morning announced this proudly to the film critic who was reviewing Star Wars. Of course he answered. 'Oh you must see it...etc' as she knew he would.
Watch it or don't watch it, no-one cares anymore. We've got netflix now.

ForalltheSaints Sat 16-Dec-17 07:43:58

Though not having seen any of the films is a rarity it seems- I have not seen any but most people I know have seen some of them.

HerSymphonyAndSong Sat 16-Dec-17 07:45:53

It actually is the name of a radio show

(I’ve never seen Star Wars but it is not through any particular effort on my part)

WetsTheVet Sat 16-Dec-17 07:53:24

It is in my eyes, as it looks absolutely shit.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sat 16-Dec-17 07:56:34

I've seen 20 minutes of the first one, got bored and not seen a single one since. It's not common to have not seen them which is why people are surprised

TroubledTribble28 Sat 16-Dec-17 07:57:40

Trek is better obvs. grin LLAP

kshaw Sat 16-Dec-17 08:04:33

I've never seen one. The look on people's faces/ their reactions when you tell them definitely tells me it's an achievement!!

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Sat 16-Dec-17 08:04:43

I only class not seeing/reading the Fifty Shades rubbish as noteworthy tbh.

WizardOfToss Sat 16-Dec-17 08:08:04

I've never seen it/them.

This has taken absolutely no effort on my part grin

Gramgram Sat 16-Dec-17 08:08:41

I've not seen any of the Star Wars films. I don't feel I've missed out. I understand there is a new one out.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 16-Dec-17 08:09:24

I’ve never watched them and people do,seem surprised if you say this.

BigGreenOlives Sat 16-Dec-17 08:11:15

I went to one of them with my son but I fell asleep. I have never felt as if I missed out. I’m old enough to have seen the first one when it came out but I went to see Grease instead.

ButchyRestingFace Sat 16-Dec-17 08:11:32

My best friend at uni (late 90s) had never seen any of the original trilogy.

I thought she was a deprived cave dweller.

AppleKatie Sat 16-Dec-17 08:13:10

I’ve never seen them either. They just don’t appeal to me.

Viserion Sat 16-Dec-17 08:16:49

I made it well into adulthood before watching them without trying not to watch and was similarly mystified by the whole concept and fuss. Then I had sons. They wanted to watch, so I watched with them. I now love them and completely understand the hype.

CakeNinja Sat 16-Dec-17 08:18:55

I haven’t seen any of them. I despise anything sci-fi, it all looks like total shite to me.

Codlet Sat 16-Dec-17 08:20:39

Oh come on, OP. I expect there’s something you haven’t done that most people have and you feel slightly smug about? Never watched a single episode of <insert popular reality TV show>? Never owned a <insert electronic gadget>?

pinkhorse Sat 16-Dec-17 08:20:53

I've never seen any either. Can't think of anything worse

ButchyRestingFace Sat 16-Dec-17 08:22:56

I despise anything sci-fi

Oh, so do I! Sci-fi devotees bring me out in hives.

With the exception of Star Wars.

And the original Battlestar Galactica films. But that may be more to do with wanting to marry Richard Hatch when I was 3.

LizzieSiddal Sat 16-Dec-17 08:24:47

Well I expect the presenter had to tell the reviewer, as they were having a conversation about the film!

Anyway I’ve never seen a single film, neither has dh or our two dds. I’m interested in real people in real situations, not Sci-fi

DancingHouse Sat 16-Dec-17 08:43:41

I've never seen them but with that many references to the storyline there's not much point.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 16-Dec-17 08:45:53

I've never seen them. It's not my genre so I think even if I saw them I wouldn't get the hype. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on this big thing that everyone loves but most people I know aren't bothered about it either way.

I'll fangirl the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice until I'm blue in the face, though!

HerSymphonyAndSong Sat 16-Dec-17 09:33:34

I do like science fiction and fantasy genres a lot. I just didn’t watch them when I was younger and haven’t had the time to invest in that many films since then!

Makeitso Sat 16-Dec-17 10:38:26

I haven't seen any. I think it was because I didn't see the first one as a child and it took about 10 years for it to be shown on RTE (Irish tv) so I just never got into it.

I tried to watch the first one a few months ago and lost interest fell asleep after 15 minutes.

Makeitso Sat 16-Dec-17 10:39:19

I don't see it as an achievement though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now