Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Where's my c-section scar gone??

(27 Posts)
10FingersOnTheFender Fri 15-Dec-17 22:07:45

I don't have a full length mirror at home and don't often bother to bend down to look at my lower belly. But this morning I did.

And I could hardly see my c-section scar!! shock Last time I looked (many months ago) I could still see it quite vividly. But now you'd need to know it was there to see it. It's been just under 3 years since I had the c-section.

Don't get me wrong - I'm delighted, especially as I'd never bothered to moisturise the skin. But I'm very surprised. I had always thought I'd have a pretty obvious scar. Was I in fact wrong? Do most womens' scars disappear?

Tinselistacky Fri 15-Dec-17 22:09:42

Ds is 3 and mine has vanished. And even if it was still there it is hidden by a fat chocolate stomach atm anyway. sad

Pennywhistle Fri 15-Dec-17 22:10:59

Lucky you. Mine is visible 10 years on.

user1471459936 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:11:00

Mine is around the same age and I have a thin silver line. Quite extraordinary.

MunchMunch Fri 15-Dec-17 22:13:45

My first two disappeared but my third is more noticeable because one end hasn't healed as well it's sort of wider at one end. Saying that I had to lift my overhang to see my scar so it also disappeared in that sense! grin

I remember when I went for a scan/check up with my middle dc the consultant was talking to a junior dr about how there was actually a previous scar there but it had healed so good it was hard to tell.

SpottyGecko Fri 15-Dec-17 22:14:09

I've had two, most recent one 14 months ago and first 5 Year’s ago. Still v visible :-(

Ragwort Fri 15-Dec-17 22:14:46

I never noticed mine, people talk about great big scars, I didn't have one confused.

ShowOfHands Fri 15-Dec-17 22:15:27

You can see mine only if very close and at a certain angle. It's practically invisible.

10FingersOnTheFender Fri 15-Dec-17 22:15:49

Gosh - that is extraordinary that the skin seems to heal so well for lots of people.

Other injuries/operations - you tend to see the scar forever, no?

10FingersOnTheFender Fri 15-Dec-17 22:16:38

Sorry, wrote my last post before seeing posts saying that for some people the scar remains quite visible.

hazeyjane Fri 15-Dec-17 22:19:54

Mine is 7 years old and looks big, jagged and red. It is really noticeable and still sometimes painful, even whilst managing to feel oddly numb (around the whole area).

10FingersOnTheFender Fri 15-Dec-17 22:22:13

I'm sorry to hear that for some of you it's still so visible sad

I wonder what it is that causes a different outcome for different women - is it more likely to be the surgeon's skill or the elasticity (or some other quality) of the woman's skin?

MunchMunch Fri 15-Dec-17 22:24:26

I have scars from a breast reduction (anchor shape under boobs) which have healed just as well as my section scar but when my nipples died I was left with keloid scars which have flattened out but are very noticeable if Im topless.

My scars from gallbladder removal have all but faded apart from 1 (between boobs) but again that was has flattened but is more noticeable.

Pennywhistle Sat 16-Dec-17 01:39:10

I had twins so perhaps there was rather more rummaging around than if there had just been one baby? grin

Despite taking great care with it I also had a massive infection in my wound so I imagine that had an impact.

Brandnewstart Sat 16-Dec-17 01:45:42

Mine's silvery and not too bad (13 years old) but I have stretch marks that wrinkle around it and the annoying overhang. I so wish I could get rid of the overhang!!

VanillaMincePie Sat 16-Dec-17 01:49:36

Why do you get overhang?

Disclaimer - I had 2 c-sections. I have overhang .

Only1scoop Sat 16-Dec-17 01:54:56

Mine is invisible
Always shocks me

RemotesNotFuckingWorking Sat 16-Dec-17 01:57:05

I had twins. Can't find mine at all.

RemotesNotFuckingWorking Sat 16-Dec-17 01:58:08

6 years ago but been at least 4 years since I've seen it.

eurochick Sat 16-Dec-17 01:58:29

My surgeon said that whether you get an overhang is down to the surgeon's skill.

SingaSong12 Sat 16-Dec-17 02:07:03

(I havent had DC). I think all healing is very different, sometimes even on the same person. I got a very raised scar after one operation, and was warned in future surgery on another part of my body it was likely to be the same but I just have a thin line now.

Pennywhistle Sat 16-Dec-17 02:07:40

That’s interesting Remotes. Perhaps euro is right and it’s down to the surgeon.

Janetjanetjanet Sat 16-Dec-17 02:34:50

Last section was a year ago and you can still see it vividly. Hopefully it'll fade.

kmc1111 Sat 16-Dec-17 05:33:21

Mines still really obvious two decades later. Great surgeon who did a brilliant job, it's not a 'bad' scar, but I just don't heal well. Down to genetics unfortunately, my skin elasticity is terrible and always has been.

UnbornMortificado Sat 16-Dec-17 05:39:20

I've had three, last one 5 month ago.

No overhang, silver line.

I was told emergency sections can leave a bigger, more noticeable scar then a planned one due to the rush to get baby out.

No idea if it's true, all mine where emergency ones, two under GA as there was no time for an epidural.

I am having no more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now