Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please help - ideas to keep children entertained backstage

(16 Posts)
Fanta4 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:00:00

Dear Mumsnet,

I’m having a slight wobble as I have somehow been roped into looking after about a dozen 6-year olds tomorrow. They’ll be participating in a show (for about 5 mins) and we will spend hours and hours backstage waiting around (there will be 2 performances).

I have:
Lots of extra snacks (ok’d with parents)
Plenty of paper, pens and colouring in. We can’t do anytghing too messy because of costumes.
A couple of films on the laptop
Some game ideas (charades, Chinese whispers).

I thought about bringing lego but tbh it will be chaos as it is (over a hundred children and teenagers participating) so I don’t think bringing toys is a great idea.

Help! What else can I do for entertainment? I have to fill at least 5 hours of downtime, a chink of it past their bedtime.

Oh and chickening out is not an option.

SkyIsTooHigh Fri 15-Dec-17 22:04:26

They to occupy themselves a lot better than you'd think. Try to pair up anyone looking lonely. Save the film for later on as once the tv's been on, they won't settle with their activities so well.

Making fortune tellers is a good activity.

whatdoidoaboutds Fri 15-Dec-17 22:06:42

Consequences is a good writing game as it can be picked up and put down and still enjoyed through the evening especially if you divide it up into smaller groups. Just make sure you have lots of paper!

Drinaballerina Fri 15-Dec-17 22:10:23

Did this last weekend. I brought lots of colouring (pencils only), stickers, a few of those activity books you get, some games (snakes and ladders, jenga, coppit).

Also had crazy amounts of hair spray, grips and safety pins.

Oh and a large glass bottle of wine for you afterwards.

Fanta4 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:12:24

Fortune tellers, consequences, excellent ideas. Added to the list.

I’m hoping they’ll entertain themselves for a good amount of time SkyIsTooHigh but they’ve had a crazy schedule of after school rehearsals for the past weeks (on top of all the end of term activities) and judging by my own DC they are all tired.

Fanta4 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:14:41

Ah yes, Drinaballerina, that would be the same type of show. Pencils only, very very good point!

Ionacat Fri 15-Dec-17 22:16:37

I did this in the summer - it wasn’t too bad. Quite a few bring things with them. I also took books, activity sheets e.g, mazes, dot to dot.
The toilet runs took forever......

dancinfeet Fri 15-Dec-17 22:17:51

Colouring with pencil crayons - don't take pens or felt tips because of the costumes. Card games such as happy families (snap not a good idea because of too much backstage noise). The laptop & DVDs is a great idea but as suggested by another poster, save it for the second show when they are getting tired.

Rainbowqueeen Fri 15-Dec-17 22:20:23

Winking murder?

Noughts and crosses

Thumbs up thumbs down

Sleeping lions

Fanta4 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:22:07

This is all great, thank you. Currently printing out dot to dot thingummies.

Just to hear that others have done this and lived is very reassuring.

moobeana Fri 15-Dec-17 22:25:00

Paper chains!

Festive, takes ages and they can have competitions of how long, repeating patterns of colours etc.

Fanta4 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:45:59

Paper chaisn! Yes! I have some pre-gummed ones. Also thank you Rainbowqueen. I hadn’t even heard of a couple of these. Great games.

delilahbucket Fri 15-Dec-17 22:49:43

I did this but had all boys earlier this year. I took a laptop to play films, then we had colouring stuff, a ball to roll around, UNO and the children were asked to bring their own activities.

Heratnumber7 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:53:58

Uno! Keeps 7 yo Brownies occupied for hours.

Books to read stories to them

Fanta4 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:56:50

Don’t have UNO. Major oversight.

Rainbowqueeen Sat 16-Dec-17 01:49:09

Good luck

I actually think it's good that you are having a wobble.. Means it's bound to go smoothly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now