Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If 'pleased to meet you' is incorrect....

(55 Posts)
Lollabonk Fri 15-Dec-17 21:02:10

I’ve read that “Pleased to meet you” is considered incorrect grammar. Other than ‘how do you do?”, what would be the ‘correct’ way?!

Alwaysatyke Fri 15-Dec-17 21:04:47

"How do you do?" is the preferred option from Debrettes

allegretto Fri 15-Dec-17 21:05:31

Who says its incorrect? It's not.

StoneColdDiva Fri 15-Dec-17 21:05:35

Person 1: how do you do?
Person 2: how do you do?

allegretto Fri 15-Dec-17 21:05:49

*it's

StoneColdDiva Fri 15-Dec-17 21:06:11

It is not incorrect grammar, but incorrect form.

WillowWept Fri 15-Dec-17 21:06:16

How do you do.

allegretto Fri 15-Dec-17 21:07:26

I was commenting on the grammar not the form.

Shopgirl1 Fri 15-Dec-17 21:07:49

I don’t think it’s that “pleased to meet you” is incorrect, rather that it is not considered upper class, as “how do you do” is.

RestingGrinchFace Fri 15-Dec-17 21:07:52

It's always "how do you do?" if you speak first.

If you speak second you just mimicking what the first person has said if you are being friendly or stick to "how do you do?" Otherwise.

Schlimbesserung Fri 15-Dec-17 21:08:11

Two fat gentlemen met in a lane, bowed most politely and bowed once again. Said "How do you do?", "How do you do?" and "How do you do?" again.
That nursery rhyme won't leave my head now!

Christmascardqueen Fri 15-Dec-17 21:13:17

But what on earth does “how do you do” mean? How do you do what?

blueskyinmarch Fri 15-Dec-17 21:18:40

It means how are you doing.

Lollabonk Fri 15-Dec-17 21:20:04

I’ve noticed super posh people on TV tend to say “Nice to see you” when they first meet someone

Lollabonk Fri 15-Dec-17 21:20:55

I’d normally say “Hi, how are you?”

Trills Fri 15-Dec-17 21:22:57

I don't think there is very much chance that what is "proper" in this sense is in any way relevant to your actual life.

BertieBotts Fri 15-Dec-17 21:25:54

Pleased to meet you is perfectly acceptable for a formal occasion. Who cares if the grammar is strictly correct? It's an accepted social norm.

I'm an English as a foreign language teacher, BTW.

ArbitraryName Fri 15-Dec-17 21:26:46

I wouldn’t worry about it. I cannot imagine anyone I know using either of them, particularly not the debrett’s approved ‘how do you do?’

MrsHathaway Fri 15-Dec-17 21:26:52

Yes, it doesn't mean anything. It's just social reciprocity.

"Pleased to meet you" can be right if you mean "... after all this time corresponding remotely" or "... because Sue speaks so highly of you". But it is as meaningless as "how do you do" really.

WillowWept Sat 16-Dec-17 09:38:38

“Pleased to meet you” always feels a bit subservient and only really makes sense if you’ve had a preceding correspondence with the individual, otherwise how could could you possibly know whether you’re pleased or not.

First time, meeting an unknown person = how do you do

First time meeting someone you’ve corresponded with “lovely to finally meet you” might be appropriate

Repeat meeting “lovely to see you!”

Gilead Sat 16-Dec-17 10:37:20

Correct form is 'How do you do'.

Crumbs1 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:54:16

Correct form is How do you do? Reciprocated by the other party. I think a lot of younger people dispense with this and just say Hello. It would be churlish to take offence however greeted.

‚Wotcha‘ should be used more often grin Nice and simple.

What a load of old bollocks from Debrettes and that Truss woman. I‘m always pleased to meet new people. It‘s the ‚It was nice to have met you‘ which may turn out to be a lie.

If the class system deems something to be wrong with a perfectly pleasant greeting, it‘s the system that is wrong and not the greeting.

NoSquirrels Sat 16-Dec-17 11:37:04

Blimey. Unless you’re meeting a member of the aristocracy in a formal situation like a State Dinner, I think you’d be mad to care. “Pleased to meet you” is clear and friendly - what more do you want from a greeting!

ButchyRestingFace Sat 16-Dec-17 11:38:33

Did all this not stem from the time Carol Middleton (mere de Kate) met HRH?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now