Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you have your curtains / blinds open at night?

(74 Posts)
Mupflup Fri 15-Dec-17 19:37:59

The street I live on is one of the mainish roads through our estate. Our houses are all set back about 6-8ft from the road with a strip of lawn in front (i.e. no wall or fence separating from pavement). Two of my neighbours have their curtains open and lights on in the evening and early morning...so when I'm walking the dog early doors I see them eating cereal in their dressing gowns and in the evening I see them watching tv and lounging around on the sofa. There's a house around the corner on the bigger main road that's also like this but they have a massive bay window and always have the Big Light on so its even less private.

Each to their own I guess but I just wonder do they not realise everyone that goes past can see them getting on with their lives or do they not care?

<disclaimer: I know this is absolutely none of my business, it's just puzzling me so I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light as none of my friends or family do this!>

MrsHathaway Fri 15-Dec-17 19:39:04

I don't have big light on and curtains open at the same time. Ever.

IdogMax Fri 15-Dec-17 19:41:26

I’ve seen enough scary movies to know, lights on - curtains open, is a recipe for disaster shock

HeadDreamer Fri 15-Dec-17 19:42:46

They are just eating cereal and watching TV. I don’t see the problem. If you say they are getting change, having sex or going to the loo then it’s different.

NeilPetark Fri 15-Dec-17 19:44:54

No never, although I do like nosing if other people do. grin

Peachyking000 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:45:21

Blinds closed (wooden ones) and curtains open. When I previously had an upstairs living room, I left them open

ShowOfHands Fri 15-Dec-17 19:46:13

Curtains firmly closed here.

PrincessoftheSea Fri 15-Dec-17 19:51:55

Curtains open and lights on and most people in our street do too.

mustbemad17 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:54:38

Curtains shut & lights on in every room...i have an irrational fear of open curtains in the dark 😬

WidoWanky Fri 15-Dec-17 19:55:41

Hell no. Curtains closed as soon as the lights go on.

However, i am ever so slightly appreciative of those who dont. Makes the homeward bus journey so much more interesting😉

InTheRoseGarden Fri 15-Dec-17 19:56:26

No way!

Ruhrpott Fri 15-Dec-17 19:57:59

Don’t close curtains but live on the side of a hill and only birds fly past the window and no one overlooks us.

Abra1d Fri 15-Dec-17 19:58:52

No. I hate the light pollution aspect apart from anything else.

happymummy12345 Fri 15-Dec-17 19:59:36

I usually close them when it gets dark so people can't see in.
Though ATM the front ones downstairs stay open, so people can see our tree.

Bluntness100 Fri 15-Dec-17 20:00:54

I’m not overlooked so they are open, but when I was in houses where it was easy for people to see in, one on a main road, then I had window coverings up at all times. I’ve no desire for randoms to be watching me in thr privacy of my own home.

I honestly don’t quite understand how people can live their lives like they are in a gold fish bowl and not give a shit.

Shadowboy Fri 15-Dec-17 20:01:04

I close curtains when it gets dark in the rooms I intend to use. If I’m not going to be in the room I’ll leave them open- e.g the spare bedroom

LoniceraJaponica Fri 15-Dec-17 20:01:23

No
1)I don’t want our neighbours looking in on us in the evening, plus it makes me feel vulnerable that everyone can see in and I can’t see out.
2)It makes the room much darker to have black windows instead of cream colored curtains that reflect the light back into the room
3)Closing the curtains makes the room warmer

Tinselistacky Fri 15-Dec-17 20:03:35

Our sitting room is upstairs, one window the curtains are open and the Christmas tree is in the other window with lots of lights shining!!

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Fri 15-Dec-17 20:03:40

We often leave ours open but because of the location of the house (on the side of a hill) nobody can see in.

If we were somewhere where people could see in the curtains would definitely be shut.

BarbaraOcumbungles Fri 15-Dec-17 20:03:46

The front curtains are closed but we never ever close the curtains at the back because we're not overlooked at all. I don't like the feeling of having curtains closed so I guess we've purposely bought houses with the living areas at the back.

Dahlietta Fri 15-Dec-17 20:04:11

I recently found out that my sister sleeps with her curtains open shock. I'm still reeling.

MrsBonato Fri 15-Dec-17 20:04:36

Gosh no, I have been known to tape curtains together so there isn't any gap.

Fill has slight claustrophobia and leaves the curtains open all the time, when we go on holiday together there it's a battle between us with curtains constantly being opened and closed again.

Popchyk Fri 15-Dec-17 20:04:53

Never close the curtains downstairs. I like to be able to see out. We have a nice view and I like to see the twinkly lights in the valley at night.

We are not overlooked, although I never closed curtains or blinds when we lived in houses that were overlooked. Don't like to feel enclosed and I don't care about people looking at me. If looking at us watching Only Connect gives you a buzz, then crack on mate.

Gilead Fri 15-Dec-17 20:09:09

Noooo!

Notreallyarsed Fri 15-Dec-17 20:12:19

No! I hate having the windows uncovered, especially when it’s dark. During the day I have vertical blinds open, but at night it’s blinds and curtains closed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now