Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Leaving work jitters

(9 Posts)
milleniumhandandprawn Fri 15-Dec-17 19:19:34

Hello,
Thanks to all who commented on my previous thread re my interview - I got the job!! 👍
Now though I’ve got 1 week left at my current place and I’m panicking about how much I’ve got to do and I don’t know how to chill out.
I don’t want to leave a mess behind me so I’m trying to sort everything out but it’s hard. My notice period is turned out to be shorter than anyone thought, mainly down to Christmas, bank holidays and unused annual leave.
I’m a pretty conscientious person, I’ve got an achievable to do list, but how do you get past the feeling that you’ve forgotten to do something and things will all go wrong at a job that you’ve cared a lot about for along time.
I keep trying to tell myself (as does DH) that it’s not my or

milleniumhandandprawn Fri 15-Dec-17 19:22:14

Damn! Posted too soon!

That it’s not my problem, but that’s not working. I know I can only do what I can do, but ffs. It’s keeping me up at night!

Help please wise mnetters!!

For full disclosure I should say I’ve recently had a few problems with work related anxiety that I’m trying to get on top of but it’s difficult to get perspective. I’m hoping that a fresh start will sort it all out.

milleniumhandandprawn Fri 15-Dec-17 20:14:17

Bumpity bump bump!

Timmytoo Fri 15-Dec-17 20:19:10

Take time to to write a detailed to do list and write notes and mark completed once they’re done. This helps consolidate everything you need to do and it cheats your mind by getting it out so your thoughts don’t go round and round. When you think of a job write it down and you can also refer to your notes for reassurance.

Remember thoughts are not reality and the new person taking over your role will probably make i their own so will do things their way anyway. It helped me by writing a handover document too so then I knew I was handing everything over and I copied my boss in so they could see that I handed everything over properly so that if things go tits up they’d know it wasn’t you.

Timmytoo Fri 15-Dec-17 20:19:41

Helps not cheats 🤨

strongandlong Fri 15-Dec-17 20:23:14

I haven't read your previous posts, but I'm in a similar position. Leaving a job after a long time. Worried about leaving things undone or making life difficult for the beloved colleagues I'm leaving behind.

I'm trying to tackle the most important things first and just accept that I can't do everything I would like to do. Easier said than done, of course!

So have nothing to useful to add, but sympathy flowers

SJM72 Fri 15-Dec-17 20:51:07

Congrats OP!

I'm leaving a job next year that I've been in for 18 years. I'm anxious about leaving but for different reasons. I hate the place but I love my colleuges and I'm dreading having to say goodbye.

It'll all work out in the end though.

milleniumhandandprawn Fri 15-Dec-17 21:00:59

Thanks so much for your reply timmy! And tbh I don’t minding cheating my brain to calm down at the moment... I’m very annoyed with it for dicking about so much!

I have a to do list and am chopping through it. I think it’s also because it’s so very final - I won’t even necessarily find out if thinfs were to go awry.

milleniumhandandprawn Fri 15-Dec-17 21:02:16

Good luck with your new roles stong and sjm.
Maybe worrying about it all just means that we’re good at our jobs and care that they’re done well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now