Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What are your worst examples of public transport bad manners....

(66 Posts)
Thisnamechanger Fri 15-Dec-17 17:40:06

Having bad luck with the train journey today angry

Family of four are happily settled around a table, one of their seats is the one I’ve reserved. Awkwardly explain one of them is in my seat and show ticket. Dad and teenage boys look completely blank and then look at the Mother. She huffs that she reserved the table. Showed my ticket again and pointed out none of the paper things on the seats they’re in are even reserved for the same place, they were a mixture of stops along the line. Entire family blink at me. Eventually found a spare seat next to a large man who makes a loud roaring noise when he yawns —every five minutes— and keeps falling asleep in a spready way. To avoid cuddling up with him my shoulder is hanging over the side into the aisle a bit. Most people slow down as they walk through so I can quickly tuck my arm back in but several have stormed straight past, slamming into me hard and not apologising (second one actually hurt quite a lot).

Urghhh. Tell me your tales of shitty transport manners.

Musicalmistress Fri 15-Dec-17 17:45:45

Never mind that - find the guard, explain the situation & wait for the CF family to be asked to move. You reserved a seat for a reason, they don’t get to turf you off just cos they fancied a table! 😠

KurriKurri Fri 15-Dec-17 17:53:46

Oh - yes tell the guard - they are CFs.

I was rushing for a train once with my adult son and we though it was just about to leave so jumped into the first carriage we got to which happened to be first class. An awful man got up and started pushing us back towards the door saying 'no no no this is first class it's not for you' grin It was like League of Gentlemen.

DS did me proud by saying in a very loud voice so all the carriage could hear 'take your hands off my mother at once' grin

Sandsnake Fri 15-Dec-17 18:00:23

Guy on packed commuter train last week was sat on the aisle side in a priority seat, the window seat had his laptop bag and a large package in. The train was so busy that there was barely room to stand, let alone somewhere to sit so I - graciously - asked to sit in the seat his bags were occupying. He treated the request like I'd demanded his first born. He very grudgingly moved over and - shock - had to sit with one of his bags on his lap! I was bowled over by his attitude. To top it off he then made a loud, 5 minute long phone call when we were in the quiet zone...

JoJoSM2 Fri 15-Dec-17 18:12:29

Rude of them.

I've seen a few things on the tube in London - squeezing spots, plucking eyebrows, clipping nails etc.

PoisonousSmurf Fri 15-Dec-17 18:14:59

This is why I drive...

usernameinfinito Fri 15-Dec-17 18:18:22

Man taking a razor out of his backpack and proceeding to shave his beard until he bleed.

Thisnamechanger Fri 15-Dec-17 18:30:50

I figured if I demanded my seat Id have to sit with the rest of the pissed of family!!grin

FreeNiki Fri 15-Dec-17 18:43:32

Applying deodorant spray.

Cutting their nails whilst standing.

neverundersold Fri 15-Dec-17 18:51:27

Long queue for bus, lady with pram barges to the front, past a man with a pram saying excuse me I have to get on first because I have a pram. Elbows everyone aside to get on first and spends the entire journey complaining about how busy it is at the top of her voice. Luckily there was enough room for the man with the pram too who had politely waited his turn.

Thisnamechanger Fri 15-Dec-17 19:07:38

Old men clipping their nails on the tube is definitely a thing. Boak!

SmilingButClueless Fri 15-Dec-17 19:12:30

A very smartly dressed young man “raced” me / pushed past me for the last seat in the tube carriage and looked around very smugly when he won.

I was on crutches. It was hardly a challenge.

I’ve never had so many other people offer me a seat. Suspect they also thought he was a knob...

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 15-Dec-17 19:19:48

I hate it when I stand there waiting for the tube, behind the yellow line, and some twats come and stand right in front of me and then push in.

Or when some woman starts flicking her hair in your face.

Or backpacks hitting you in the face because some twat insists on wearing them on a crowded train.

Or loud music, just use your bloody headphones.

specialsubject Fri 15-Dec-17 19:53:33

Shrieky jabberers in the quiet coach. Shut up!

WidoWanky Fri 15-Dec-17 19:58:33

Smokers who exhale every few seconds. 😷 and the great unwashed😷...there is a theme here😊

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 15-Dec-17 20:06:53

The (several!) men who used to share long-distance trains with me when I was regularly commuting. It bowled me over that there was more than one man who would look at me using the laptop charger (cos I thoughtfully booked the seat next to it) while obviously doing work on my laptop, and who would say 'I need that, because I am working'. hmm

Yes love, you and me both.

Ditto the men (it was always men) who felt they needed both armrests.

Thisnamechanger Fri 15-Dec-17 20:07:20

Funnily enough my colleague just texted:

Sat opposite a guy on the bus and he told me to move because he’d “had a hard day and needs some space”

mumonashoestring Fri 15-Dec-17 20:11:55

I used to catch a packed 6pm service from St Pancras every evening - saw many examples of shitty behaviour. The two that really stood out as persistent irritating gits were:

1 A snotty cow who was so desperate to be first off the train at our stop she would wait til we were 5 minutes away, get up, pick up her bags and elbow her way through all the poor miserable sods who were standing in the aisles and carriage end loudly going on about needing the toilet, shut herself in, then miraculously emerge just as the doors unlocked and shove her way off the train first. Every. Sodding. Evening.

2 A nasty little man who would shove his way to the front of the queue, run (actually run) down the length of the platform to get to the end of the train and get a seat, and again, shove his way back along the train just outside Bedford through about 3 or 4 carriages of standing passengers so he'd be right next to the stairs when we got to the station. It's not like the rest of us used to get off the train and dawdle around looking for Narnia...

MoanaofMotunui Fri 15-Dec-17 20:14:06

I was on a train last week with 5 year old DD, train was packed and we had to stand in the aisle... not one person offered DD their seat. She's never been on a train before and, bless her little heart, sat on the floor eater some chocolate when her legs got tired sad

MoanaofMotunui Fri 15-Dec-17 20:14:49

Not that DD is entitled to one obviously, I just felt a little sad that people looked at her and stuck their noses back into their phones

DoAsYouWouldBeMumBy Fri 15-Dec-17 20:23:46

Got to be honest, I travel extensively by train, and it wouldn't occur to me to offer a child my seat on a busy train, and no one has ever offered DS theirs. I usually find adults need a seat more than kids! Or is that just knackered old me blush

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 15-Dec-17 21:21:58

I'd always offer a small child my seat in that situation. It's much harder for them to cling on if trains brake suddenly. I think this is just basic common sense.

MountainDweller Fri 15-Dec-17 21:40:53

On my way to hospital appointment the other day, got on the full bus with my stick. Nearly fell over when the bus set off. Had to shout out that I was disabled and could someone please give me a seat. I hate public transport but can't drive for long so sometimes have no choice sad

Tinselistacky Fri 15-Dec-17 21:45:03

When I was a dc (born 1971) dc were expected to stand for adults, when did this change around??

TheClacksAreDown Fri 15-Dec-17 21:46:47

Yesterday the man next to me on the tube was excitedly sexting someone about what they wanted to do to each other later. In big font. In a position where (due to the way we were hemmed in) It was directly in the eyeline of myself and another person. <Vom>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now