Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Your worst family Christmas arguments

(78 Posts)
Unreasonablebagrage17 Fri 15-Dec-17 16:58:13

Inspired by my DB calling my Dsis an entitled cunt on a group message last night as we tried to work out who was having our Df on Christmas Day

One year my Dm , whilst carving the turkey & sick of everyone bickering, stabbed the carving fork into said turkey , picked it up with the fork & launched it across the room 🎄

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 15-Dec-17 17:00:45

Oh I'm sorry, that image of your mum with the turkey has really made me laugh.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 15-Dec-17 17:01:41

I came on to say MIL and the Monopoly Game but your mum launching the turkey wins!

Did you eat it? Did you stop bickering?

RickOShay Fri 15-Dec-17 17:03:54

One awful Christmas dh and I had a hissed hidden dagger type row while decorating the tree, we both stormed off, when I came back ds1 aged about 5 was valiantly putting on baubles while singing Jingle bells.
It was quite honestly shit. I felt so bad.

midsomermurderess Fri 15-Dec-17 17:05:58

Not mine, but a colleague. She and her sister fell out over how to say ‘Basel’ on. Christmas Day and didn’t speak for almost a year.

Unreasonablebagrage17 Fri 15-Dec-17 17:11:28

She very calmly walked across the room, picked it & picked a few dog hairs off it.

We all ate in a very stony silence

Hulder Fri 15-Dec-17 17:14:27

Year my DF bought DM a mini-hoover for Christmas.

She cancelled Christmas, went to bed and refused to come out and speak for 24 hours.

PeterRabbitt Fri 15-Dec-17 17:23:46

DF bought our mother a chainsaw... They hated each other anyway but she took particular offence to this present. Wasn't even our worse Christmas either!

ProseccoMamam Fri 15-Dec-17 17:27:17

I remember when I was younger (around 7/8) my aunt launched the Christmas tree at my uncle, across a table of maybe 20 people. To be fair she had just found out he had cheated as she had snooped and found an expensive necklace yet he had gifted her a bath set and some chocolates. We didn't see him after that, she is now married with 2 kids to a new man and doesn't host Christmas anymore.

TurtleCavalryIsSeriousShit Fri 15-Dec-17 17:29:27

Oh my word, these are funny blush
Sorry

Steeley113 Fri 15-Dec-17 17:29:38

My MILs dog bit my then 2 year old a few years back. It caused an almighty row and we didn’t speak for 6 months! It’s still very icy now but we’re civil.

DancesWithOtters Fri 15-Dec-17 17:32:36

My Dad once bought my Mum an electric tin opener for Christmas. That didn't go down well.

FatRedCrayon Fri 15-Dec-17 17:43:48

I really want a story to post on here but as I have a tiny family there were never more than 3 of us at Xmas (often less) and it was always so quiet. I used to long for a big family and a bit of drama!

This year I have 2 DC so hoping things go smoothly..

dustarr73 Fri 15-Dec-17 17:55:27

My dos family had an almighty row one Christmas.His dad picked up the cooked turkey and flung it down the back garden😂😂

IHaveACuntingPlan Fri 15-Dec-17 18:21:52

There was the time that my younger sister expected me to drive to pick her dc up from their granddad's, who was only up the road (so within walking distance) at the end if the meal. I didn't want to because it would mean not being able to have any alcohol at all all day so I said no.

WW3 erupted - I stormed off home, my step-dad rang my other sister saying that Christmas was cancelled and my mum walked out.

After an hour, my younger sister phoned me, shouting and telling me to fuck off so I told her to fuck off - that was basically the whole conversation; then my brother rang to tell me to come and help find my mum. I found her in the bus stop, pissed, swigging wine from the bottle and crying so I took her home. Then I went to pick up my elder sister and her family before giving in and going to get my younger sister's children.

Basically, I was the fucking taxi driver all day anyway. Out of all 4 siblings, I was the only one who could drive at the time and was always designated driver. I wanted a day off. We ended up not eating until nearly 8pm and dinner was cold, the meat was burnt, the veg was mushy and everyone apart from me was pissed.

I agree that some of it was my fault - perhaps I should have just agreed to pick nephew & niece up and perhaps I was stupid to storm off like I did but I can't help but think that they weren't my dc, they weren't my responsibility and my sister should have got off her lazy arse and walked the 15 min round trip to get her own bloody kids. That Christmas has gone down into family legend and since that day I refused to drive anyone anywhere or to babysit unless it is an absolute emergency or they pay me for my time.

Notonthestairs Fri 15-Dec-17 18:26:47

Not an argument as such but things very sticky the Christmas that my granny announced that it was very strange her sister - Vera*who was sitting opposite - having red hair, nobody in the family had red hair etc etc, but that their mother (so my great grandmother) had had a lodger with red hair....
My mum had to hide in the kitchen because she was giggling so much.
*Name changed to protect the red headed.

Notonthestairs Fri 15-Dec-17 18:27:24

Things got very sticky it should read.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 15-Dec-17 18:36:31

I can't remember what it was about now, but DH and I had a tiff one Christmas afternoon and he stormed out in a huff. (He was back in 15 minutes - it was not a major row but I was upset that it happened on Christmas Day.) DD was 2 at the time and I tried my best to be cheerful and normal with her while he was out stropping. But she is a perceptive soul. She put her little hand on my arm and said "Did Daddy shout at you, Mummy?"

Tears fell. I couldn't help it. But to this day she can tell with one look if I or anyone else is upset about anything and trying to hide it. And she has such a soothing, comforting manner about her. It's her super-power.

Cheekyandfreaky Fri 15-Dec-17 18:37:00

Our parents always left us to cook Christmas dinner as siblings from when we were all teens as 1) we weren’t Christian so it didn’t matter to my parents and 2) my mum was a veggie. In theory this was good as we all had to pitch in and cooperate to make something lovely together. In practice there were loads of fights. The one that stands out was my brother screaming at me and me throwing stuffing right at his face, but we collapsed into giggles straight after. It still makes us all laugh.

HerRoyalNotness Fri 15-Dec-17 18:41:46

Every year my mother played the martyr. We shared a holiday house with friends and the wife wouldn't help, so in a very basic kitchen which used to be camp stove and gas in the old days, she'd do a full xmas dinner incl steamed pudding. We knew to be out on the beach all day and stay out of the way . Then she'd moan that friend hadn't helped at all. Everyone would get roaring druNk and i remember several years when various friends came the husband and wife would split up during the holiday. But the best bit is, she didn't even celebrate xmas! Completely bonkers.

I still have fond memories of it all weirdly.

blackheartsgirl Fri 15-Dec-17 18:45:54

My son and my dp having a horrible row which ended up with my dp being pushed on to a glass coffee table which shattered and paramedics and police trying to calm things down. Dp needed 17 stitches in his arm. I am dreading Christmas this year

Parsleyisntfood Fri 15-Dec-17 18:48:29

I can’t really post specifics because I don’t know who else from my family lurks BUT I have been witness to a series of Eastenders style Christmas dinners. Never got violent but I lots of storming and slamming of doors.
My weird coping mechanism was to prefer the years we stormed out (or were stormed out on) because then I could watch the good Christmas tv while my parents screamed at each other and various relatives over the phone.
There’s video of one fight (which I have and only found recently so can tell you all) where 6 or 7 grandchildren from late teens on a toddler are singing Christmas songs and in the background a fight is escalating amongst the adults. Why did they keep filming?!

georgie262 Fri 15-Dec-17 18:48:32

My brother and BIL had a physical fight one Christmas, my sister tried to split it up and got accidentally knocked out. My littlest sister's new boyfriend called us 'fucking weirdos' ....can't blame him really or argue with that one

FreeNiki Fri 15-Dec-17 18:51:21

One year my Dm , whilst carving the turkey & sick of everyone bickering, stabbed the carving fork into said turkey , picked it up with the fork & launched it across the room

Your mum is one awesome woman!

LyannaStarktheWolfMaid Fri 15-Dec-17 18:52:48

One year DM got absolutely hammered on Xmas eve and decided that she hated everyone and everything - cue fit if the screaming abdabs. Not an uncommon occurrence. She was still in a mood on Xmas day and refused to come down until 3pm, when she proceeded to cook Xmas dinner in a nightdress, in stony silence, with a face like thunder. Called us to the table, flung the dinner at us, and went back to bed. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now