Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Not actually quite sure what to do - moving

(73 Posts)
BulletFox Fri 15-Dec-17 15:38:09

I've moved me and the cat into a tiny one bed flat. We didn't have electric for the first few days (cock up) but have befriended neighbours and can sleep there if we need to. Cat doesn't actually need to and is well fed but I'm frozen to the core and drinking milk and brandy to get some heat.

I am really tired. I'll start to sort things out gradually but can't think straight (I had silverware and ammunition stolen during moving, I texted police but need to put in a formal complaint).

I guess I need to rely on the neighbours for a few days? They said they'd straighten me out and support and they've already travelled to meet my family. I'm in such a state and want to trust someone but am absolutely shattered.

I think I'm just slightly embarrassed at meeting new people (we just instantly liked each other), being so dishevelled, and accepting help.

Actually I'm tempted to book into a hotel tonight even though I can afford it but can't, if that makes sense

RebornSlippy Fri 15-Dec-17 15:43:16

No much of this makes sense, OP. Sorry. From the stolen ammunition to your new neighbours travelling to meet your family.

Can we try again? So, you've moved to a new flat. You have no electricity making it inhabitable because you're too cold. Your new neighbours have offered you a bed. Oh and the cat is fine. You can't afford a hotel. What to do?

Well, I can tell you what I'd do, but it's no doubt irresponsible. Rather than stay with strangers I'd have my flexible friend at the ready and book myself into a cheap place until the electric is sorted. Others may disagree, but that's what I'd do.

BrokenBattleDroid Fri 15-Dec-17 15:51:35

Is there a youth hostel or b&b nearby?

Not sure I'd want to feel indebted to new neighbours so quickly, but that's just me. Its not wrong if you're all comfortable with it and sure it's safe etc.

BulletFox Fri 15-Dec-17 15:58:29

Right I'll attempt clarity;

I had some things stolen during the move which I can't even make a formal complaint about until I've unpacked properly.

I have a cat and I've made sure she's well fed.

The neighbours caught me a little distraught and shivering at the entrance to the courtyard to our places as I didn't realise there was a key code and we instantly liked each other and have become friends and they're my 'minders' now apparently. I bought them a meal last night.

I was just a bit worried about intruding on their time (I slept on their floor think it was weds) and have been overwhelmed at all this and wondered if I should book into a hotel.

Oh actually I should just go round the neighbours and tell them I'm flailing, it's slightly embarrassing however

RebornSlippy Fri 15-Dec-17 16:00:55

Honest to God, if you didn't say things like you bought them a meal, the way you're describing this situation, it's like you're the cat! OP, can you not find the money to just book in somewhere?

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 15-Dec-17 16:02:54

I don’t wish to offend you OP but have you been drinking? I’m not actually sure what the issue is. Ask to borrow a heater and a hot water bottle. Ask if you can have a bath before bedtime the take Heater and hot water bottle and snuggle in for the night.

BenLui Fri 15-Dec-17 16:04:01

It depends on your situation but personally I’d arrange to spend the night with family, friends or most probably a hotel in your situation.

Why on earth isn’t there electricity?

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 15-Dec-17 16:04:02

Sorry, realise heater is useless without electric!

RebornSlippy Fri 15-Dec-17 16:05:38

You can get gas heaters though. Are they called Super Ser or something? You put the gas cylinders into the back of them I think.

BulletFox Fri 15-Dec-17 16:05:52

Reborn that's totally confusing, I'm confused enough already!!

Of course I'd buy a meal to say thank you for your help. Yeah I can afford a hotel, might be the best option for tonight, warm bed, bath.

Sorry if I don't make sense I'm still a little cold and dazed

SparklingSnowfall Fri 15-Dec-17 16:07:12

confused

BrokenBattleDroid Fri 15-Dec-17 16:07:25

Presumably a heater wouldn't cut it as no electricity? Or is the electric on now? If it is the heater is a good idea.

Skip the brandy though. Alcohol does NOT warm you up. If makes you think you are warmer while your body temperature gradually drops. Can be dangerous if you are actually stuck somewhere very cold.

waitingforlifetostart Fri 15-Dec-17 16:11:08

You're not making much sense OP. Are you physically ok? Are you ill? Maybe start at the beginning.

BulletFox Fri 15-Dec-17 16:11:09

No there was a cock up when I moved in at weekend and I was left without electricity for a few days! I was frozen!

There was some previous debt from previous tenants which needed to be cleared before I could pay.

I obviously make no sense, sorry, I need to defrost grin

RebornSlippy Fri 15-Dec-17 16:12:16

Look into the gas heaters I suggested OP. Might be cheaper than a hotel/B&B and from my experience of them they throw out really good heat.

noodlesandtomatoes Fri 15-Dec-17 16:18:12

The alcohol will NOT warm you up, so stop drinking. It'll make you feel more cold. Get a Jumper in and start unpacking. The work will keep you warm. Get your bed sorted, with extra blankets. If you can't afford a hotel, go and get a hot meal instead.

BulletFox Fri 15-Dec-17 16:22:21

Trouble is I was so disorientated and cold from moving that I used the shower as a temporary cat tray, I put down some of my great grandfathers paper and cat litter ahem, things he'd be turning in his grave and I need to clean everything up before I grab the estate agents.

Like I said I've been drinking milk and brandy to stay warm. I guess I could potentially snatch the neighbours to motivate me to start sorting this out. They phoned about an hour ago.

RebornSlippy Fri 15-Dec-17 16:27:28

You're drinking brandy and milk right now, aren't you OP? So, lets stop that. You sound off your face.

Why the hell would you need your new neighbours to motivate you? Motivate yourself. Sober up. Unpack. Sort yourself out. You're neighbours will be short lived friends if you start leaning on them so heavily so quickly.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 15-Dec-17 16:27:47

You seem a bit over dependant on your new neighbours! Just clean the shower!

RebornSlippy Fri 15-Dec-17 16:28:17

I mean, are you in Siberia? How cold can it be that it's actually making you this crazy sounding? For God's sake. Put on a few jumpers and get it together!

BulletFox Fri 15-Dec-17 16:30:10

Right - I've been told quite firmly - shape up and ship out, so to speak.

Tackle shower. I'm not looking forward to it, I'd rather run off to a hotel

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 15-Dec-17 16:31:44

Well you’d have to clean it if it was a litter tray so what’s the difference? It’s just a bit bigger.

Chaosofcalm Fri 15-Dec-17 16:35:09

Definitely stop the alcohol. Book a hotel or B and B for tonight. Sort out the cat litter.

Have you sorted the electricity issue yet?

Why did your neighbors travel to meet your family? Can’t you stay at your family’s over night? Or a friend?

BulletFox Fri 15-Dec-17 16:36:15

But Reborn I dunnoooo where the jumpers are. I'm wearing the neighbours coat!

Honestly even when the estate agents called round I think yesterday they said the sight of all my packed boxes made them feel queasy.

I'll just deal with the shower and bookcases today. And try to eat.

Apologies for sounding surreal

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 15-Dec-17 16:37:14

Definitely eat!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now