Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Weird family sayings that others wouldn't get

(88 Posts)
moutonfou Fri 15-Dec-17 11:11:55

Does anybody have any family sayings that others wouldn't get?

When I was little we had a favourite Thomas the Tank Engine book, Thomas Comes to Breakfast. In it, Thomas' driver says "you could almost drive yourself!" Thomas becomes conceited and decides to set off without his driver. He gets out of control and crashes into the Fat Controller's house during breakfast.

In our family, if somebody is getting ahead of themselves or being over-confident, we say "don't come to breakfast!"

Curious to hear what weird sayings have come about in other families grin

Witchend Fri 15-Dec-17 11:49:33

"Union lights" was one used for years. It's the sort of fairy lights that if one bulb blows they all don't work: One out-the lot out.

"Gone and never call me mother" from a melodrama my great-uncle was in.

Also "Can't find a knife will a fork do" also from my great-uncle's acting career. Apparently said by a props guy to the murderer who needed to produce a knife from his suit pocket.

"Desperately needed choir robes" from a newspaper article that claimed the local church needed these. They were perfectly okay at the time and the church had much more pressing needs.

"My aunt's a Roman Catholic too" meaning an irrelevant comment. From my Gran who on hearing the pope was ill said "that's a pity, because Jean's Aunt is a Roman Catholic too".

Notagainmun Fri 15-Dec-17 12:12:31

"Don't shame your Granny". DS going out to pub as a teen for the first time. I tried to give him a talk about not doing anything that he would be ashamed for his grandparents to hear about.

Appuskidu Fri 15-Dec-17 12:15:30

"Don't shame your Granny". DS going out to pub as a teen for the first time. I tried to give him a talk about not doing anything that he would be ashamed for his grandparents to hear about.

We say something very similar!

LaContessaDiPlump Fri 15-Dec-17 12:16:28

'Parsnip?' meaning 'Pardon'. My Grampy says 'I beg your parsnip' a lot grin

Also 'Do you have a brother called Alexander?' meaning Alexander Dumas (aka you are a dumb-ass). Bit involved, that one!

LaContessaDiPlump Fri 15-Dec-17 12:18:51

Also 'It's imperial to me' as 'it doesn't matter to me'. From my grandparents again, courtesy of a lady who lived next door to them during the war (with her soldier husband) and was apparently renowned for her unique turn of phrase....

Enb76 Fri 15-Dec-17 12:20:08

Many - and I'm initiating my daughter as she grows up that there are words and phrases for things, and there are our words and phrases for things.

VeryFoolishFay Fri 15-Dec-17 12:22:07

A 'mars bar' question is one that is asked repeatedly, despite being given the same negative answer - stemming from an episode where one DS constantly requesting the confectionary bar all morning.

When referring to my DF, in the company of DM and siblings, it is customary to chime, 'if, indeed, he is my/our father' That has caused consternation in some settings.

weekfour Fri 15-Dec-17 12:25:44

‘Dad portion’ is used to describe when there’s not enough food on your plate. In honour of my father who would give a 23 year old a small child’s portion of food. Also works well if he gives you half a glass of wine.

SylviaTietjens Fri 15-Dec-17 12:27:07

We say ‘Ethiopia’ rather than goodbye. It goes back to my dad as a little boy overhearing people saying ‘I’ll be seeing you’ to say goodbye and he thought they were saying ‘Abyssinia’. It’s sometimes substituted with other old names for countries like Rhodesia, Burma or Persia. They all mean goodbye.

RosyWelshcakes Fri 15-Dec-17 12:28:27

When met with a screwed up face at the table -

Whats is it?

Shite wie sugar onit.

SylviaTietjens Fri 15-Dec-17 12:28:58

Also ‘lavish her with eggs’ is a cure all medicine. It was from some period drama we watched where it was recommended that a mother ‘lavish her daughter with eggs’ as a cure for the plague or something.

fourquenelles Fri 15-Dec-17 12:48:43

We "besmear a backing pan" when cooking - taken from the instructions on a packet of the very first Chinese ready meal we had as a family.

"Don't stick beans up your nose" ie avoid danger when going out and about - lost in the mists of time

Loving these grin

I'm sure we have some, I just can think of them!

itsallrelative2017 Fri 15-Dec-17 12:58:57

Were you born in a barn?
(usually said about leaving a door open but in our house its said when leaving a light on since many years ago my DH used it in error, much to my amusement!!)

Was your dad a glass maker?
(When blocking someone's view, usually by standing in front of the telly)

Trying your hardest to get someone to repeat themselves by using various versions of "pardon?" "What was that?" Etc etc and on the third repeat responding with "that's three times you've said that!"

"Is there a teabag in that?"
When someone is taking too long to finish an alcoholic beverage

"Tides out!"
When your cup of tea is anything but full to spilling over

n0ne Fri 15-Dec-17 12:59:39

Also originating from some terrible Chinglish, 'connocting poopie' - when the baby is filling her nappy. I think it it was supposed to be 'connecting people'?

Trufflethewuffle Fri 15-Dec-17 13:00:04

My sister and I were analysing phrases one day (as you do) and we came to "that's not out the way" used to describe a decent price on a purchase.

We decided that if it wasn't out the way it must be in the way. So now when we see a bargain we say "that's in the way".

ShotsFired Fri 15-Dec-17 13:00:14

Hate to disappoint you @RosyWelshcakes, but ^Shite wie sugar on it" is a very well known phrase indeed, up and down the country.

Candyfloss1122 Fri 15-Dec-17 13:01:13

"stop arranging the onions"...used when someone is faffing around... can't really remember how it started!

jollygoose Fri 15-Dec-17 13:03:00

"I`ve got everything to do and a wedding to go to" we say it now everytime a bit hurried but originally said about 20 years ago when going to a friends wedding and a bit stressed.

jollygoose Fri 15-Dec-17 13:05:17

And another one "I`ll pay Abner" every day in the canteen queue I seemed to be stood behind Abner and his gf we thought it hysterical that she offered to pay daily so we still trot it out when deciding who will pay.

EddieHitler Fri 15-Dec-17 13:06:47

We have a few of these. My favourite one is, 'A Johnny bath'. It means washing your bits in the sink and comes from a friend catching her husband doing just that.

fenneltea Fri 15-Dec-17 13:12:26

"Round by Kelloe Docks"; Kelloe being a village that had no connection whatsoever to water or docks, meaning the long/impossible way around something.

Ideserveaholiday Fri 15-Dec-17 13:12:57

Flip flop flummox means having a very quick bath in our family

Marmelised Fri 15-Dec-17 13:30:49

Not a saying exactly but if someone has lost something and another family member finds it they either bark or lick the person who had lost the item originally.
Barking comes from ‘if it was a dog it would have bitten you’ ie the item was easy to find.
Licking relates both to the dog reference and to another family phrase ‘if I find it you’ll get a licking’ where licking of course is meant to be a beating but nothing wrong with homonyms...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now