Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Amazon Prime - how do I make the most of it?

(17 Posts)
mineallmine Fri 15-Dec-17 00:13:36

I had to join Amazon Prime last night in order to get a game ds wants for Christmas. So now that I've paid the £7.99 or whatever it was, what else can I do with it? I'm in Ireland so can't get the food parcel stuff but is there anything else I can use it for? I intend to cancel it before the month is out.

GrimDamnFanjo Fri 15-Dec-17 00:43:57

Binge watch the Crown, Vikings, Outlander and any other Prime video that takes your fancy!

theoldtrout01876 Fri 15-Dec-17 00:45:48

well in my house my 3 adult Dc, one of whom doesnt even live here, plus their partners all use my amazon prime grin. I have so many names on it I actually have to check who is being billed, ditto who is being billed when its something I didnt order incase its me, as thats happened before. We REALLY get our moneys worth.

mineallmine Fri 15-Dec-17 00:51:16

Billed for what trout? What are you all buying?

I just found the prime videos fanjo so yes I can imagine we'll be watching lots of boxes. Sadly my favourite guilty TV pleasure, real housewives, is on heyu so not free I presume?

Glovebug Fri 15-Dec-17 00:54:20

It's great if you need any last minute Christmas gifts as you can get free next day delivery on some things. Quite a few films and tv shows are free to watch with it too and I think you get some kind of music package

Why didn't you do the 30 day free trial?

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Fri 15-Dec-17 00:59:16

- I use the music app a lot (I like that it has the lyrics. It isn’t as extensive as Spotify but I still get use out of it.
- We go through films and series regularly on prime video (they also have discounted downloads to rent)
- Have multiple people using the free delivery etc - you can have 2 adults and I think 2 kids in a household register their accounts to your prime.
- I’m just getting round to using prime reading for free books and magazines.

I believe you can store your photos with them too which I want to look into - rather than paying Apple.

Series I have liked on Prime Video are:
The man in the high castle
Bosch
The Tick
Transparent
Vikings
Outlander
Mr Robot
Constantine

They also have lots of great oldies like
Seinfeld
Parks and Rec

And they have generally better films that Netflix.

Glovebug Fri 15-Dec-17 01:00:55

Oh and I think you get to borrow a kindle book a month or something like that

Oswin Fri 15-Dec-17 01:05:13

If you have any 6 yes upwards in your family, the children shows on amazon are so good. Especially just add magic and annedroids. I watch just add magic without dd there!

TracyBeakerSoYeah Fri 15-Dec-17 01:13:02

Prime has definitely paid for itself several times over in our house.
Free p&p with next day delivery (apart from things that are sold through other sellers.)
Prime music is used non stop here.
Loads of things to watch on Prime Video.
A free kindle book every month.
Credits to put towards things if you go for normal delivery on items (I've had between £1 - £3 to use on music, video or book downloads.)
Had a £5 credit to put towards paying for anything (as a thank you for using Prime.)
Me, DH & DC can all use the free delivery, video & music app.

deathb4decaf Fri 15-Dec-17 03:01:40

I recently got the ukhotdeals app where people post bargains they’ve seen on amazon prime (aswell as other places) it’s worth a look! I got a bit of Christmas shopping this way.

MrsPandaBear Fri 15-Dec-17 03:16:17

You don't say how old your children are, but there's loads of kiddie TV - we have toddlers so watch shows like Thomas the Tank Engine or Fireman Sam and films like the Grufallo. I'd guess there is older kids stuff too.

If they do Subscribe and Save it can be a cheap way to bulk buy stuff like shampoo. Although you officially subscribe to regular deliveries it's very easy to cancel after one. If you have 5 or more subscriptions you get 15% off (and you can subscribe to the same item 5 times to get it) - so e.g. I'll get 5 lots of Aveeno and then cancel until I need some again 6 months later.

mineallmine Fri 15-Dec-17 08:13:53

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm in Ireland so deliveries are not next day unfortuately but as long as they get here by the big day that doesn't bother me.
I have one teenager and a 7 year old so I'd imagine they'd both love prime video too so will binge on that while we can. We already have Netflix so don't want it long term. The teenager will love the music so I'll direct him there to enjoy it while he can.
All those Subscribe and Save items are not available in Ireland so we can't do that I'm afraid. I suspect it's only really valuable to UK residents.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Now any ideas how to get rid of Ninja mice who are afraid of nothing and able to dodge any trap set by man????

Camomila Fri 15-Dec-17 08:38:53

We love amazon prime in my house!

Lots of good movies and box-sets of children's shows (less choice of adult boxsets than Netflix though)
If anyone in the house is a student get amazon student and prime will be free for 6m plus you get free amazon music
My DM goes on amazon.it and orders stuff to my grandmas house a lot so we don't have to bring it on the plane.

LittleHearts Sat 16-Dec-17 17:32:40

Does anyone else find it really difficult to search, and find what to watch through Amazon Prime though?

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 16-Dec-17 17:43:02

Nutella on the traps to catch the Ninja mice. No ideas about Amazon Prime sorry, I'm in Ireland too and it just doesn't offer much compared to the advantages that it gives in the UK.

allegretto Sat 16-Dec-17 17:45:37

I have Amazon Prime in Italy and there is hardly anything to watch tbh and no next day delivery!

SistersOfPercy Sat 16-Dec-17 18:24:06

I watch Lucifer (amongst other TV shows), great for getting what I need the next day when I CBA to leave the house. I use Amazon Pantry a lot as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now