Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Where is the weirdest place you have bumped into someone you know?

(156 Posts)
Comedyshortsgamer Fri 15-Dec-17 00:05:31

the weirdest place i have bumped into someone i know was at crown green bowling.

StorminaBcup Fri 15-Dec-17 00:13:59

I bumped into an ex-work colleague in a hostel in South America.

SallySphinx Fri 15-Dec-17 00:15:03

Ibiza, first club I went to bumped into 2 boys I was at school with (I was 18)

Bloodybridget Fri 15-Dec-17 00:15:46

DP and I got off a plane at a small airport in France and saw a couple who moved out of our street in London several years previously. We'd had no contact with them since they left and had no idea they had moved to France.

MrsHathaway Fri 15-Dec-17 00:17:05

Arc de Triomphe when neither of us had any connection to Paris. Just completely coincidental weekends away in the same place, visiting that monument in the same half hour.

pieceofpurplesky Fri 15-Dec-17 00:18:29

A rainforest in Australia

AnotherRoadsideAttraction Fri 15-Dec-17 00:27:24

In line at a night club in Mexico.

AnotherRoadsideAttraction Fri 15-Dec-17 00:29:30

(He had a pack of gum and I asked for a piece. Didn't recognise him at first...it was someone I'd gone on several dates with about 3 years previously.) blush

Battleax Fri 15-Dec-17 00:29:50

The Ponte Vecchio, a childhood neighbour I hadn't seen for 25 years. Most surreal.

Osirus Fri 15-Dec-17 00:33:09

Bumped into some old school friends in a very ancient prison (now museum) hundreds of miles from home.

OvO Fri 15-Dec-17 00:35:32

Walking down George Street, Sydney.

I'm from Scotland so definitely didn't expect to hear someone calling my name! I ignored them as obv it was another 'OvO' as it couldn't possibly be me. ''Twas a baker from my work (supermarket)!

chipmonkey Fri 15-Dec-17 00:38:41

Not me but the friend I was with. She's from a tiny village on the West Coast of Ireland. We were working for the summer in New Hampshire and sharing an apartment with our boss's daughter. One day the boss's daughter brought two of her college friends to visit. My friend looked at one of them and said, "Helen!"
It turned out that this Helen was a cousin of my friend's friend in Ireland and had visited my friend's tiny village in Ireland the year before. Other than that it was a total coincidence that she was a friend of the boss's daughter.

MummaTwinkleToes Fri 15-Dec-17 00:39:04

I always seem to bump into people I know in airports. One time it was old work friends in Crete whilst on the first holiday with DH. Another time in the airport in Barbados in duty free. I had just dropped a large bottle of rum which smashed soaking my clothes. The shop manager was clearing up the glass and having a go at me when a couple came and started talking to me. I was embarrassed and upset so didn’t realise at first they lived on my road. blush

Riddo Fri 15-Dec-17 00:40:51

On holiday in France as a child. We were in Morlaix and met a family we knew.

ConjugalHoliday Fri 15-Dec-17 00:43:18

In a queue to board a plane. My childhood neighbour who I hadn't seen in around 10 years. We were on the same flight.

Want2bSupermum Fri 15-Dec-17 00:44:37

I work in midtown NYC. I've bumped into quite a few people I know when walking to work and stepping out for lunch. It's a bit awkward when it's a work lunch and they are in holiday mode while I'm having a business meeting.

I regularly bump into people I know at Manchester and heathrow airports too.

HappenedForAReisling Fri 15-Dec-17 00:46:29

An aquarium in a not-very-well-known area of Australia.

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Fri 15-Dec-17 00:46:30

An old school friend whilst diving in Egypt. Friend of mine bumped into her GP at a Portuguese airport

AirandMungBeans Fri 15-Dec-17 00:51:08

Florida, we rented a villa and next door was a villa being rented to a family who lived in our road. We had no idea they were going there and out of all the thousands of holiday homes they were next door!

puglife15 Fri 15-Dec-17 00:52:37

A camel riding trip in the desert in India. He lived about half a mile away from me at home.

BelleandBeast Fri 15-Dec-17 01:03:11

Trekking the Samarian Gorge in Crete, I bumped into my childhood friend from nursery and , infant school. Went separate ways for school but I saw him around town, as you do.

I hated that walk, I was wearing the wrong footwear and had a stitch. It took all bloody day too.. I was not in a good way. Hot, thirsty, hungry, tired. I had no idea what I was getting into (pre mobile phones for internet research, a friend persuaded me).

Swapped numbers

Now we have 2 children.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Fri 15-Dec-17 01:04:40

Getting off a hotel shuttle bus on Orchard Road in Singapore. Waiting to get on was someone I used to work with in Scunthorpe!

NotTheQueen Fri 15-Dec-17 01:08:12

I went to high school in Australia, and in Year 7 each year group got allocated 4/5 final year students as ‘peer group mentors’. I ran into one of my mentors in Paris 22 years later; she was standing behind my DH and I in the queue for the catacombs... neither of us live in Oz anymore.

I also ran into my brothers high school girlfriend on the way to Australia Day celebrations on the tube... awkward as he cheated on her and she wisely dumped his ass.

Amy106 Fri 15-Dec-17 01:10:04

We were in Disneyland. Our son said he had seen his teacher. We started to tell him it was probably someone who looked liked his teacher but no, he was right. It was her!

innagazing Fri 15-Dec-17 01:11:38

I was walking down a lane one evening in Goa when there was a power cut. I managed to duck into a small bar which had lit a few candles here and there. When the power came back on, an ex colleague was sitting at a nearby table!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now