Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Baked sweet potato

(30 Posts)
tectonicplates Thu 14-Dec-17 23:24:17

Come and tell me all about making baked sweet potato instead of baked normal potato. Do you prefer it? Does it feel like a different meal? Interested in hearing about your recipes and nutrition.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Thu 14-Dec-17 23:42:12

I wouldn't ever just bake a sweet potato in the way I would an ordinary one. It would be too rich to eat in that way.

I cut mine into either slices or chunks and roast them with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and sometimes rosemary.

CheeseEater Thu 14-Dec-17 23:54:29

I do! Is lovely. Either with grated cheese or there’s a good recipe I got on a Waitrose card which I expect is on their website - something like sweet pot with spinach and creme fraiche.

But for some reason I can only eat a small sweet potato,they fill me up more

WhatCanIDoNowPlease Thu 14-Dec-17 23:55:37

Cut the tips of the pointy ends off and bake. It does tend to go quite mushy so put it on a baking tray, not directly onto the oven racks. Butter, salad, beans, they're yummy.

PinkAvocado Thu 14-Dec-17 23:57:00

Yes definitely don’t put it directly into a rack-it seeps. Lovely with mushrooms in. I much prefer them to normal potatoes baked. Really filling!

SheGotBetteDavisEyes Fri 15-Dec-17 00:03:19

I love baked sweet potato. Goats cheese and chilli oil with lots of black pepper and baby spinach leaves. They are very filling though.

SparkleFizz Fri 15-Dec-17 00:10:25

Baked sweet potatoes are so much tastier than normal baked potatoes.

Battleax Fri 15-Dec-17 00:12:27

Yes it's lovely, sweeter which is an adjustment, but much lower carb. The contrast of tangy savoury fillings really works.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 15-Dec-17 00:14:21

I microwave them - they take less time than a normal potato - and then fill with cream cheese with a dash of sweet chilli sauce, or some Boursin.

LuisCarol Fri 15-Dec-17 00:15:54

Sweet potato needs a smoky contrast like chipotle peppers, for me.

Ezzie29 Fri 15-Dec-17 00:20:24

I had this with my tea today, I love it. I just stab it a bit and cover with oil and cook for an hour-ish because I like them super soft inside. Tiny bit of butter and some salt is all I put on. Sometimes I will cook then almost to how I like, cut up and then microwave them for breakfast the next day.

Bobbiepin Fri 15-Dec-17 00:22:38

@shegotbettedaviseyes that sounds delicious!

Want2bSupermum Fri 15-Dec-17 00:24:12

I microwave them too. I stab it with a fork and wrap it in a wet paper towel. Takes about 10mins to cook.

Lndnmummy Fri 15-Dec-17 08:15:23

We do this, my dh loves them with tuna.

LilCamper Fri 15-Dec-17 08:17:24

Lovely with Philadelphia and pepper.

iseenodust Fri 15-Dec-17 08:24:28

They cook a lot faster than ordinary potatoes. I do them in tin foil & just open that for last 15mins so can go on a rack.

DS prefers them to ordinary jackets. Go well with cheese and all the usual hot stuff but I'm not so keen with salad.

bumpysleighride Fri 15-Dec-17 08:25:39

Hmm I prefer baked sweet potato to normal, and it's much healthier. My favourite topping is feta, olives and coriander with olive oil.

tectonicplates Fri 15-Dec-17 09:10:39

Thanks everyone. Sounds great. smile

Juanbablo Fri 15-Dec-17 09:55:41

I love a baked sweet potato with veggie chilli, soured cream and cheese.

SillyLittleBiscuit Fri 15-Dec-17 09:58:38

Chilli on top for me - with cheese and sour cream.

LifeofClimb Fri 15-Dec-17 11:06:32

Yes and yes! I scrub them well, and spray a little olive oil with salt and pepper on the skin so I can eat that too. I never feel the need to add cheese to sweet potato (and I love cheese!). So it's win-win for me because I'm consuming less overall.

irvineoneohone Fri 15-Dec-17 11:19:11

My family loves them. It takes so much quicker to cook, and lovely with garlic and herbs.
It's my ds's favorite quick lunch menu.

Janetjanetjanet Fri 15-Dec-17 13:50:04

Really good with roasted veg and feta OR with a big spinach salad with dried cranberries and balsamic and red onion.

Also good blended into a soup.

pourmeanother Fri 15-Dec-17 14:34:11

Either of these ideas are an absolute go to for me. Delicious.

AmethystRaven Fri 15-Dec-17 14:40:49

What about the skin, can you eat it and what's it like? The peelings always seem barky so I've never fancied one baked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now