Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Question for migraine people re aura/visual disturbance

(68 Posts)
QuimJongUn Thu 14-Dec-17 22:26:39

I started having migraines about four years ago, triggered by medication I was on. I stopped the meds but the migraines carried on, the bastards. I don't always have the visual symptoms, but when I do it's at the very end of the attack - when I start to see what looks like shimmering holographic spiky lines, I know the attack is about to end (this happened about an hour ago after two days of agony).

Even my GP was flummoxed by this and said the aura never happens at the end of a migraine, and all the information I've read agrees. So am I just a weirdo? Or does anyone else have this? Should I be worried?!

FreeNiki Thu 14-Dec-17 22:29:28

I have no idea.

I always get the shimmery lines at the beginning so I know it's coming and take painkillers quick smart.

Never heard anyone having it at the end.

Freshprincess Thu 14-Dec-17 22:30:32

Completely the other way round for me. I only know I'm getting a migraine when my eyes go a bit odd (like my brain can't match up what my eyes are seeing) and then the aura comes. Usually lasts about 30 mins then comes the head-in-a-vice pain.

Ofthread Thu 14-Dec-17 22:32:57

I think that migraines aren’t very well understood. I get the visual symptoms throughout, sometimes they get worse at the end. I also get migraines lasting around a month (recent one), which is a whole other heap of crap to have to live with.

KurriKurri Thu 14-Dec-17 22:35:14

I get visual migraines with no headache. My vision goes into what I can only describe as a photo negative effect - black and dark greys, no colours. I get occasional flashes of brightness throughout the episodes (which usually last between half and three quarters of an hour) I don't get any kind of shimmering.

MrsApplepants Thu 14-Dec-17 22:38:25

Aura comes at the beginning for me. Shimmering zig zags starting in one corner moving across my vision in an arc. Lasts about 20 mins then the headache starts

twinklebee Thu 14-Dec-17 22:38:26

I only ever get aura at the start- it's how I know I'm getting a migraine. I see a round void and can only make out things around the void. It's horrible as I know what's coming! At least you know it's coming to an end I suppose! They're a nightmare!

underneaththeash Thu 14-Dec-17 22:41:00

No, I don't think so.
Thinking about it from a physiological point of view, there is strong evidence that migraines with aura (visual symptoms) are linked with vascular changes in the brain - so dilatory changes in the blood vessels.

Therefore it follows that potentially so people would have corresponding changes when the blood vessels constrict after their migraine has finished.

I'm just guessing though...there is a migraine trust and they may be interested in your experience. I'm just an Optometrist, so am interested in headaches as people tend to come to us if they have them. But generally migraines have absolutely nothing to do with needing glasses or having eye problems.

RapunzelsRealMom Thu 14-Dec-17 22:41:38

Visual disturbances are the first sign for me of a migraine to come. If I get meds quick enough, I can often avoid pain, however, I tend to feel 'hungover' all day.

Since having a daith piercing in March this year, I haven't had a migraine. Evidence of the success of this is purely circumstantial - nothing scientific - but it has been a miracle for me. Something to consider if your migraines are debilitating

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 14-Dec-17 23:03:43

I have the visual disturbances at the beginning too.

But three months clear since I gave up red wine.

God I love red wine: white doesn't come near.

MammaTJ Thu 14-Dec-17 23:09:08

I always had the aura at the beginning but would have been delighted to get something signalling the end.

I hope you find the prevention for these evil fuckers!

For me it was citrus fruits, coffee, lack of sleep, lack of proper nutrition, chocolate, not one, but 2 or three together!

KichenDancefloor Thu 14-Dec-17 23:24:59

I always get visual disturbance at the beginning too.

Everything goes sparkly ('tis pretty grin) then I can't see sections of my vision, then the headache, nausea and extreme aversion to light.

I have no signal that it's ending, other than I can get out of bed/no longer need to be in the bathroom.

Maybe you are just a weirdo unique!

Thymeout Fri 15-Dec-17 01:31:53

Kurri I get 'silent' migraines, too. Just the visual disturbance, no headache. Mine start with a blurred spot in the middle of my vision and then a silver, shark-toothed irregular oval shape which gets larger until it disappears.

I had dreadful headaches and vomiting that went on all day when I was a teenager and occasionally when pregnant. So I know what I'm missing and feel v grateful. smile

SolitudeSometimesIs Fri 15-Dec-17 05:16:30

I get visual disturbances at the beginning of my migraines too. It gives me time to take meds and try to switch off any sensory overload triggers - my sense of smell is very strong and ability to cope with noise is zero when I have a migraine.

I hope you find some help to get relief from your migraines. They are so misunderstood and yet so debilitating. Mine are linked to my hormones, so around the time I’m ovulating or due my period I’m more likely to get one.

NotAgainYoda Fri 15-Dec-17 06:01:41

I used to get them at the beginning - lost peripheral vision, then bubble-shaped areas of pixilation drifted across my visual field. If I took meds in time, no headache would appear

When I was a child/teen I had less aura would would get sensory issues- numbness in my hand/arm/tongue

Camomila Fri 15-Dec-17 08:42:35

That's interesting underneath when I get migraines I always feel them start behind one eye (with normal headaches I get them right behind across forehead)

strugglingtodomybest Fri 15-Dec-17 08:44:54

I used to get stomach migraines. I'm not sure how similar they are to head migraines, but I used to get visual disturbances at the end of the migraine.

dancinfeet Fri 15-Dec-17 08:51:56

I get the visual symptoms at the beginning of a migraine usually.

Yoksha Fri 15-Dec-17 08:55:59

I had a "stoater" this week. Worse ever in the 6yrs since diagnosis. I get the off-line visual disturbance at the start. I ignored the signs and the rooms and contents began wrapping around me. I was frightened. On trying to get downstairs to Dh, the stairs were wrapping around my feet. My balance failed. Strong urge to vomit. I'm just coming out of it now.

My Gp told me research into this area of medical science is still in it's infancy. Because I refuse treatment with anti-epileptic meds and drugs they used to treat schizophrenia, they've pretty much washed their hands off me. Strong ibuprofen & Buckland ease the symptoms.

My sympathies to all out there who suffer.

Cedar03 Fri 15-Dec-17 08:58:24

I also get the visual disturbance without the headache - well once or twice I've had a mild headache but nothing like a full on migraine. DH gets these but he doesn't get the visual disturbances.

A friend definitely gets them at the start as he says he knows he has about 20 minutes to take some medication and - if at home - go straight to bed.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 15-Dec-17 09:00:53

I get those, sometimes in the middle of a full blown up migraine, sometimes without the headache.

A big trigger for me is dehydration.

Maudlinmaud Fri 15-Dec-17 09:30:21

Hi Quim, I can get aura without any headache, usually a weird little box with black and white lines blinking at me or flashes of light from the outer corners of my eyes.
Holo sounds cool grin
Migraines are the absolute pits.I have tried lots of different meds prescribed by my neuro over the years and none have had any long term benefits. Ibuprofen seems to ease the pain though.

HappyLabrador Fri 15-Dec-17 09:44:23

Ooh, everyone’s description of their migraine is making me feel a little queasy..

I get the aura at the beginning too. Lasts between 20-30 minutes, then the headache comes. Then I feel groggy for a day or two after.

They became much worse while pregnant (addition of memory loss, unable to speak properly) and they’ve changed a bit since I had heart surgery 3 years ago - now I also occasionally get the aura without the headache, or I get 2 or 3 episodes of visual disturbance with headache in one day (which is thankfully rare).

As others have said, they’re not completely understood and come in many strange ways. I think you’re just unique OP!

Laniakea Fri 15-Dec-17 09:52:08

I don't get a visual aura at all - mine is sensory. It starts with the skin around my left eyebrow going numb then spreads down my nose & cheek ... always the same then I get the stinking headache.

My mum gets the classic visual aura - hers is like a curtain falls across her vision (first time they thought it was a retinal detachment) then her arm & hand go numb & a bit later dizziness & headache. My sister just goes white, pukes then minutes later the headache starts ... it all happens very quickly. Dd1 gets abdominal migraines - she doesn't recognise an aura but I'm staring to notice signs - she goes white & gets very grumpy. Her abdominal al pain is horrendous (A&E type pain) & last 3-4 days. I dread them. Dd2 gets similar to my sister - very pale, tummy pain then headache and then she sleeps for about 6 hours.

We have a strong family history!

Laniakea Fri 15-Dec-17 09:53:38

My aura usually starts the night before the headache & the numbness lasts through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now