Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone else just not feeling Christmas this year?

(24 Posts)
LoudestRoar Thu 14-Dec-17 20:53:14

No particular reason why, just feeling meh about it. Could be I still have bits to do, but I just can't get the energy to deal with them. Hopefully ds's trip to Santa's grotto this weekend will sort me out....

Borntobeamum Thu 14-Dec-17 21:38:00

Yeah me.
Packing up to move on 22/12
House is a tip. (Think family home, 4 kids all married. Lived here 29 yrs)
Not bought one present. Not written one card.
I just want to go to sleep and wake up on Boxing Day.

PickAChew Thu 14-Dec-17 21:52:50

Moving house does knacker your time frame. We moved last week into a house needing lots of tlc, while mil was in hospital and she died, the other day. Meantime I have had one of the kids off school, following one of his pukey migraines and bored out of his mind. We have no internet, yet, so have had to reintroduce him to old fashioned not on demand but you get what you're given TV just to stop him from pacing and flicking switches for hours on end (he has ASD). Finally bought him some presents, today, and got them wrapped and found a hiding place he might not turn upside down with 15 minutes to spare before he got home.

Only just got the oven up and running, yesterday after cleaning out several mm of black gunk and DH fixed a bent hinge that stopped the door from closing. I'm missing having an induction hob. Christmas dinner is going to be simple, I think.

Going to clear a space among all our crap and mil's crap that DH is having to sort through and put one of those dinky potted trees from Sainsbury's up for the boys, though.

BuckysRoboticArm Thu 14-Dec-17 21:53:23

Me. I've had an awful year. I just can't seem to feel any festive joy but I'm putting on a show for dd. It's also her 3rd birthday a few days after xmas. We are spending christmas with treasured family 60 miles away and I already feel exhausted at the thought of it. I know everyone is going to a lot of effort for me and dd this year to make it a good one as I've had a bad time, so I feel extremely guilty that I'm not more excited sad

I'd say I will be glad when it's January, but I usually feel very depressed in January!

Hopefully when the day comes I will have given myself a good shake and be feeling merrier on the inside to match the outside.

PickAChew Thu 14-Dec-17 21:55:49

This card just about sums up this Christmas. I found one of their shops earlier and just about resisted buying a merry fucking Christmas mug.

m.scribbler.com/christmas-cards/oh-fuck-it-s-christmas

ThePortlyPinUp Thu 14-Dec-17 21:56:16

Me! We haven't bought anything yet and have to wait until the 22nd which is my only day off after payday to do it and I'm working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day for the first time ever. We've also had a pig of a year with bereavements and money worries. I'm hoping once I've bought the dcs presents I'll feel a bit more positive about it all.

Undercoverbanana Thu 14-Dec-17 21:57:06

I want it over.

Ijustlovefood Thu 14-Dec-17 21:58:15

It's because it all starts too bloody early and it goes on for over a month. Really spoils it.

Overthehillsandfaraway8 Thu 14-Dec-17 21:59:52

Me. I haven't bought any presents, thought about food shopping or anything else . I am in a blind panic. I'm just totally exhausted after an awful year and a cancelled holiday.

PussCatTheGoldfish Thu 14-Dec-17 22:03:47

Yep, crisis at work means me and DH are doing 6 days a week, have missed the DC's nativity plays and are unexpectedly working between Xmas and new year when we both had it booked off. And no immediate prospect of things going back to normal.

Will love the day itself with the DC, but am exhausted just thinking of everything to be squeezed in between now and then!

SharkSkinThing Thu 14-Dec-17 22:04:34

I feel the same. DP recovering from horrible heart procedure and seems to be getting worse. I can tell it's really getting him down.

FIL's health deteriorating and currently in a nursing home 1.5 hour's drive away, so poor DP driving there most weekends, leaving me with DS (7) and no car. Do not resent this in the slightest, but we're all feeling tired.

Painter won't finish hall until Thursday (the day my mum arrives to stay and the first day of school hols). House feels messy and dusty and not Christmas ready.

I have a deadline of Tuesday for work which is non negotiable and will involve me working this weekend on top of cleaning, looking after DS on both days and getting presents wrapped.

DP working from home on Weds so anything I clean will need redoing anyway.

Sigh. Perhaps I should just open the Baileys and get my Christmas feeling that way!

belgiannun Thu 14-Dec-17 22:07:05

I can't be bothered with it. Not even interested in putting the decorations up this year. I probably won't bother.

allglitteredout Thu 14-Dec-17 22:08:36

I’ve bought and wrapped a month ago and it’s a good job because I just can’t be arsed with it at the minute. I’ve gradually put about a stone on past few months and really need to diet so just want to get Christmas out the way. confusedcakecakeenvycakefconfused

SharkSkinThing Thu 14-Dec-17 22:20:40

Me too, glitter. It's serious and I need a serious diet solution!

LoudestRoar Fri 15-Dec-17 07:44:12

flowers for all. Once ds is off school, that should help...

Mulberry72 Fri 15-Dec-17 07:59:12

Another one here! I just can’t summon up any enthusiasm for it.

We’re goungbaway for NY and I’ll be glad to get away.

Mulberry72 Fri 15-Dec-17 07:59:43

*going away, sorry fat fingers! fblush

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Fri 15-Dec-17 08:08:01

DS has been very ill since before December which included a hospital stay. I was already struggling this year as we’ve had a pretty shit one, but cancelling all the Christmas bits I had planned for him and essentially being house/hospital-bound for nearly four weeks has been the nail in the coffin.

bigbluebus Fri 15-Dec-17 08:09:49

Thought I wouldn't really be bothered as we buried our DD 4 days before Christmas last year but for some reason we went out and bought a tree in all that snowy weather and decorated it - probably the earliest we've ever put a tree up! I do have a list of things i still need to buy but limited time to get to town and little motivation to do so. Have got pressies for DH and DS but it's everyone else I can't be bothered with. We managed to buy them pressies and do Christmas last year when we could so easily not have bothered, so they'll expect it this year.

BuckysRoboticArm Fri 15-Dec-17 08:16:26

flowers bigbluebus

Oblomov17 Fri 15-Dec-17 08:19:51

I don't really feel it this year. Neither does Dh. Odd. No reason.

KinkyDoritowithsparkleson Fri 15-Dec-17 08:29:19

bigblue flowers

NextIndia Fri 15-Dec-17 08:31:33

I'm going through the motions for the sake of everyone else but I'm not feeling it. The last two years have truly been the worst of my life and this new year will begin with DH being made redundant. I'm a SAHM and we have 5 DC so it's not boding well. I want to feel joy but instead I feel utterly bereft with loss.

LoudestRoar Fri 15-Dec-17 13:05:23

So sorry bigblue flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now