Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Whats the best 'melty' fondue type cheese?

(36 Posts)
QuiQuaiQuod Thu 14-Dec-17 18:17:22

Keep seeing ads for fondue type melty cheese and fresh sliced baguette to dip into it.

Mouth watering! Whats the best to melt then? I dont actually have a fondue set but thought I could melt it in a ramekin on the hob (if thats possible) and dip fresh bread.

Anyway, anyone know?

QuiQuaiQuod Thu 14-Dec-17 18:24:56

Picturing the generation game now and the conveyer belt grin. fondue set....cuddly toy....teasmade......

TheSpottedZebra Thu 14-Dec-17 18:27:55

For baking, a camembert.

For actually melting in a fondue, gruyere. Emmentaler lovely texture but blander on it's own. A mix of both, with cheddar is lovely.

NatashaRomanov Thu 14-Dec-17 18:28:16

Get a camembert to bake.
Good with fresh crusty bread, or simple crackers smile

PurplePillowCase Thu 14-Dec-17 18:28:28

camembert
the one in the wooden box

PurplePillowCase Thu 14-Dec-17 18:29:27

or raclette if you want to melt it on bread (ultra posh cheese on toast)

crackerjacket Thu 14-Dec-17 18:30:24

Don't put a ramekin on the hob - it'll crack. Put the Camembert in the oven instead.

For cheese fondue you need 2/3 appenzeller and 1/3 gruyere.

upsiedayz Thu 14-Dec-17 18:32:04

Agree with baked camembert - amazingly gooey

QuiQuaiQuod Thu 14-Dec-17 18:36:02

MMMMM! Mouth watering. Will buy all that tomorrow.
thanks.

Cracker Ive got a ramekin that was made in spain, one really thick one, I make garlic prawns in it, had it for years, never cracks.

But wondering if they actually sell fondue sets in this day and age?

They do sell them where I live - we eat fondue a couple of times a year, especially around Winter time abd New Year.

Would you like a proper recipe?

DeltaG Thu 14-Dec-17 18:41:29

Hi OP,

I live in the home of fondue, Switzerland. Officially, Swiss fondue is made with two cheeses (moitié-moitié = half & half); Gruyère and Vacherin Fribourgeois plus white wine and kirsch. I think Gruyère is easy enough to get in UK supermarkets but I imagine Vacherin would be more difficult. Compté or Emmental would work OK though. I've also used cheddar when in the UK too.

I think you can also buy ready prepared mixed cheese for fondue from the supermarket in the UK, have a look and see what is available.

QuiQuaiQuod Thu 14-Dec-17 18:42:24

Psamm yes please!

will look into getting a set actually as now thin king of melted chocolate and dipping strawberries or marshmallows in.

disclaimer. Got PMTso get cravings!!

Borridge Thu 14-Dec-17 18:44:22

this is why microwaves were invented! great for melting cheese!

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:46:45

Ive got a fondu set and have used it about 12 times in the past 5 years
There's great fondu recipes online. The fondus i make tend to have comte, abondonce, white wine, nutmeg and seasoning

Archfarchnad Thu 14-Dec-17 18:50:18

Heat Appenzeller, Gruyere and Emmentaler in a thick-bottomed saucepan slowly with a good slug of white wine (half a bottle or so), do stir to stop the bottom burning. If you don't have anything to keep it warm on you'll have to return it to the stove every so often to keep it melted. Yum!

DeltaG Thu 14-Dec-17 18:50:35

@PurplePillowCase

Traditionally it's bread with cheese fondue, whereas raclette is eaten with small boiled potatoes, dried cured meats like ham and salami and finished off with gherkins and pickled onions (those tiny white ones).

Although why not put raclette on slices of bread too, as you say. I don't think I'd get away with it when eating it with DH (a purist and Frenchman), but I might give it a go when I prepare it just for myself!

You can use a saucepan, too.

You need around 150 - 200 g cheese per person, grated. As I said before, 1/3 gruyere to 2/3 appenzeller.

Rub the pot with garlic first and then add the cheese and 100ml ehite wine per person. Stir it (in s figure of 8, gently) until it starts to melt. Add a bit of salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Dont let it boil.

Once it’s all melty, add in a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a schnapps glass of schnapps. Stir and then serve.

You‘ll need to keep it just around boiling at the table so you can use tealights or something.

The bread needs to be a bit less airy than baguette but not too dark. Baguetter would work id you dip big chunks in with your hands, though.

At the halfway point, have a schapps. No fizzy drinks or you‘ll get stomach ache.

Oh and it should be prepared by a man grin

mostlymindblown Thu 14-Dec-17 18:51:59

Do the baked camembert in the wooden box, but stud the cheese with garlic cloves and sprigs of rosemary before putting the top back on and putting in the oven.

A-mazing

DeltaG Thu 14-Dec-17 18:52:22

Yeah and don't forget to add the alcohol, makes all the difference!

ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 14-Dec-17 18:55:30

Baked camembert is great and easy. Get the one in the wooden box, remove and discard the paper. Put the cheese back in the box with the lid, place on a baking tray and cook for 20mins on 200 ish. Some people add white wine and or rosemary. It's delicious with or without.

lynmilne65 Thu 14-Dec-17 20:14:46

gruyere

lynmilne65 Thu 14-Dec-17 20:15:33

appenwhat??

VivaLeBeaver Thu 14-Dec-17 20:18:51

Racelette is the cheese traditionally used in tartiflette which is food of the gods.

Gruyere for fondue.

Dont you get it in the uk? Appenzeller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now