Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Working till 10pm with two children under 5?

(15 Posts)
RoseGold2017 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:03:18

I left my well paid job when I had dd1 (now 4) to be a sahm and have tried to get back into work but it's proving very, very difficult. I have a degree and was thinking of doing a pgce but i have decided against it. (I've always wanted to be a teacher but now I'm not so sure)

The only areas of work that I could possibly get into is call centre type of work. Working till 10 every night. Am I crazy for considering this? The hours would be 1:30 - 10 x 2 days, 4 - 10 x 2 days and one weekend

My children are 4 and 18 months. My partner is not particularly supportive but he would not have a choice but to step up if I went for the job

We are not on benefits and my partners job is not well paid. We are currently getting by. I have savings which I've been using which has helped us out

I'm in my 20s. could I make it work or should I keep looking for another job with more reasonable hours

Furgggggg12 Thu 14-Dec-17 19:25:22

I think it would be really hard.

Can you go for admin type roles instead?

MaisyPops Thu 14-Dec-17 19:26:55

That sounds really rough OP.
Are there no other solutions?
It sounds like you risk burning out quickly.
flowers

debbs77 Thu 14-Dec-17 19:28:36

Could you start your own business doing ironing or similar??

And definitely apply for tax credits!

Tinselistacky Thu 14-Dec-17 19:29:33

Unless you can enjoy sure your dh will step up I wouldn't. I worked in a shop til 11 a few nights a week when exh was out of work, came home, loaded dishwasher, washing machine and put dc x 2 to bed - he used to let them sleep on the sofa full clothed. Bed by 1 and up at 7 was no fun.

AgentProvocateur Thu 14-Dec-17 19:32:33

I worked these kinds of shifts for years when my DC were small, but I had a supportive DH a flexible nursery and family and friends nearby, without which it wouldn’t have been possible.

RavingRoo Thu 14-Dec-17 19:32:52

If you will be working until 10 each night then you might as well extend your commute to look for a better paying job you can do. You just need to keep applying for roles you are qualified to do - eventually you will get interviewed.

CandiedPeach Thu 14-Dec-17 19:36:00

I don’t think that sounds too bad. So you’d be doing 4 days and every other weekend? What hours is the weekend?

The 4-10 would mean you have most of the day with your dc and on the 1.30-10 you’d see them in the morning.
What would your childcare arrangements be? Is your dh home in time for you to leave and how long will it take to and from work? Do you drive as public transport might not be as reliable later on.

In regards to your partner, like you say he has no choice. You won’t be there so dinner, bed and bath will be on him.

AnnaT45 Thu 14-Dec-17 19:37:09

You can do it if you really want it.
I run my own business but work till 10 most evenings once kids are in bed (am having a quick mn break!) I often work Sunday afternoons too if I need to plus I work four days a week. Stop to get kids, do dinner, bath and bedtime etc. I won't lie it's bloody knackering. I love what I do and it's going well so I can't stop, but be prepared to be shattered and to never have any time for yourself! If you can afford it get a cleaner.

LikeSilver Thu 14-Dec-17 19:45:56

I also gave up a well paid job to be a a sahm but currently work 5-11 three/four evenings per week making pizza. It’s easy, verging on dull, but I need dull after a full time week with two little kids. It is tough but who’s life isn’t? I feel very busy and every few months I get overwhelmed and need DH to take the kids out for the day just to get some headspace.

CherryLips1980 Thu 14-Dec-17 20:01:49

I wouldn't. I have two kids, one has just turned 4, the other is 2.5. From when the youngest was 9 months old to 6 months ago, I often worked until 8pm, with a 40minute drive home.

It nearly ruined my relationship and I never got to see my kids.

stoplickingthetelly Thu 14-Dec-17 20:11:26

I have a 5 and 2 year old and I wouldn't consider this unless I absolutely had to. Are you sure there's nothing else you can do? Could you go back into your original line of work? You're still young so retaining in something that is better paid might be more beneficial in the long term

HamishBamish Thu 14-Dec-17 20:20:09

This is the problem you gave when you take time out of your career to raise your family. It’s extremely difficult to get back to where you left off. I’m not criticising you OP, I think it shouldn’t be that way, but unfortunately it’s something people should be aware of. I have lots of friends in a similar position and they have found it difficult too.

I guess you have to weigh out the pros and cons. Is the money your motivation or are you looking longer term to build your career? If you need the money then you have to do what you have to do. It will be tricky at first but you will adjust.

RoseGold2017 Thu 14-Dec-17 21:49:54

I really, really regret leaving my job. I can't stop kicking myself about it. I was in a bit of a bubble when I had my dd1 and ive definitely been given a reality kick!

I can't go back to my original type of work. I've had interviews in similiar roles but I'm never successful.

The weekend day is every Sunday 9-5. I do understand that I'll be knackered in the day as I'll be doing the cooking / cleaning etc and then off to work but I would still get to spend time with my kids in the day. In all honesty, I'm not too bothered about the two 4-10 shifts it's just the two 130-10 shifts that I am concerned about.

In terms of childcare, my partner would be home for around 4:30 so my mum would have my children for half an hour on two days and on the other two days I'd work something out but I do have family that would help out with childcare.

im so confused!

ginteresting Thu 14-Dec-17 22:03:42

Get back into work Op, take the job you don't want If needs must for now. It will give you the inspiration and confidence, especially if you have had a few knock backs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now