Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone else NOT going all out on presents for their young dc?

(36 Posts)
Misty9 Thu 14-Dec-17 16:51:19

This year we've decided to scale back the present giving both from us and family (those who will listen) as the dc have way too many toys already and there are no big ticket items on their wish lists, plus environmental reasons. But then I read the lists of what others have bought and feel a bit torn and wonder if I'm depriving our kids?!

For context they are 3 and 6 and will be getting two presents each plus stockings of little things and a big present between them (large playmobil set). We've explained to them and they're happy enough to know they won't be getting loads of gifts.

Is anyone else NOT giving very much? (in comparison to some of the lists on here - which are obviously every parents' choice and I'm not judging) stop me twitching!

Discusting Thu 14-Dec-17 16:52:35

I’m barely buying anything, DS has just turned 1 and has lots of toys from his birthday last month that he hasn’t even looked at yet.

Badeyes77 Thu 14-Dec-17 16:55:18

My dd is 3 and so far we've never got her loads at Christmas and won't be this year. This year we are having to watch our spending but this wasn't the case on previous years, we just didn't see the need to get her loads of stuff. I don't feel bad about it at all. I'd rather get her a few things that really get played with, and don't add so much to the existing clutter. Honestly don't know how some people manage to store it all!

Navegante Thu 14-Dec-17 16:59:45

I thought we'vd bought dd too much. She's 2.5 and we've spent £50. Quite a few things are second hand so we have a lot for that price. In total she has 7 presents plus a stocking with a few very small and cheap items. However, chatting to friends/family it appears that that is a small number of presents/low value. We have a huge family so she's looking at getting around another 20 gifts (mixture of toys, money and clothes) so I'm certainly not buying her anything else!!

TheBeastInMsRooneysRoom Thu 14-Dec-17 17:00:37

Your plan is our normal. Kids are 10, 9 and 5. I’d much rather not be broke and in debt in January and we haven’t had the kind of income previously that could avoid it if we went all out at Christmas. Now we have a decent amount coming in but I still have no desire to bury us in plastic!

Dancetherain Thu 14-Dec-17 17:01:03

We did this last year with our 4 DC (ages 4 -14) and it really worked. I wasn't so stressed and the actually played with and seemed to enjoy what they got.

In earlier years we've gone all out and it's too much. The hardly touched any of it. Doing the same again this year. Each have one main present and then a board game plus little bits and pieces in their stockings.

FireflyGirl Thu 14-Dec-17 17:44:07

I've spent about £100 on 2.5 DS, got 16 presents including a couple of sets of books, and I honestly think it'll be too much for him.

I don't like buying tat that breaks the first time it's played with (he's thankfully not old enough to be sucked in by the must-have toys, which often seem to fall into this category, so I can retain my moral high ground on this until at least next year). His stocking has things like bath crayons, and I've included those in the total.

It's each to their own, but you're definitely not depriving them!

Openup41 Thu 14-Dec-17 17:55:11

We are spending £140-150 all in on 2 dc primary school aged. Four presents each. They are due to receive a few more gifts from family and these will.be token gifts not your x box/mobile/ipad from rich grandparents.

I too have read threads where parents are spending up to £1000 on each child's gifts, taking them to London theatres, eating out etc. Our whole budget for Christmas is less than half of £1000.

yomellamoHelly Thu 14-Dec-17 17:59:18

We do this. (Though youngest 8 now.) They still get plenty when you factor in stuff from extended family, so don't feel the need to be guilty. We spoil them more on their birthdays.

capercaillie Thu 14-Dec-17 18:05:29

Ours (8 and 10) get one main present, a book, a photobook of our summer holiday and stocking presents (and the stockings are small - mostly crafty bits, pens/penciles, notebooks, chocolate a book, bubblebath and one small toy. Family will get them a gift each. We've never done more than that.

Camomila Thu 14-Dec-17 18:25:54

DS is 20m, I plan on doing '1 present from us' '1 present from father Christmas' for as long as I can!

He'll get a stocking on January 6th (from the Befana, a mythical Italian old lady) because I really like the tradition. I might just fill it with Clementine's and babybells and he'll be happy.

crackerjacket Thu 14-Dec-17 18:29:10

DS is nearly 4 and DD is nearly 1.

We've bought a couple of gifts but honestly not that much as they have so much stuff already it's untrue! There's still boxes of old toys from the cousins that we haven't looked at! And they will be getting gifts galore form family so we have't spent much at all.

Also at that age they are happy with something really simple - DS plays loads with a fishing rod from the pound shop more than the expensive stuff!

HairyToity Thu 14-Dec-17 18:36:27

I have a 5 year old and have never spent more than £50 on Xmas or birthday presents. Can't say my daughter noticed that her bike/ dolls house etc were second hand. I have often laminated things like xrays for doctors set or tickets to go with the second hand theatre etc.

Xmas is still magical and we have enough money to have a holiday every year.

My son is a baby and plan to stick to a budget.

lovelyjubilly Thu 14-Dec-17 18:36:54

We're getting ours the same amount as you (right down to the shared playmobil set!) and I was starting to think it was quite a lot! I know they're going to love it so I don't really care whether it's deemed by others to be 'enough'.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Thu 14-Dec-17 18:40:17

We aren't, DD aged 1 had lots of presents from family and friends from her recent birthday, so we'll get her a couple of nice presents but won't go ott.
IMO what's nicer is to have fun with them on the day.

Lweji Thu 14-Dec-17 18:43:00

My list for DS tends to be a tenth of many MN lists.
I normally wouldn't spend more than £200 on DS. And that includes one major item.

RestingGrinchFace Thu 14-Dec-17 18:45:21

We're not. Stocking gift from Father Christmas. Small token gift from DH and I, smaller token gift from sibling and whatever family gives. Christmas is about the thought behind the gifts, not the gifts themselves.

OhHolyJesus Thu 14-Dec-17 18:47:12

Same here - DS2 will be happy with just a couple of gifts and what we receive will be spaced out through the year as his birthday is in Jan so I think it would be overload otherwise.

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Thu 14-Dec-17 18:47:13

DS has just turned 4 and it's the first year he has properly been able to say what he wants. It's very modest. So we have got him what he has asked for plus a d
few other bits and bobs I know he'll love. Main gifts plus stocking gifts all totalling about £70-80. Previous years, when he was too young to get the concept and request things specifically, I went massively overboard. Spent about £250 and got loads more than he needed. He totally lost interest in opening stuff and was overwhelmed, so I learned a lesson there. Less is more!

Oblomov17 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:49:56

We have always done this. One main present and a couple of tiny ones. I think piles of presents is obscene.

LurkingQuietly Thu 14-Dec-17 18:50:38

Yes for my 2. Nearly 4 and 2.5. No stockings (will do one next year I think) less than £50 spent on stuff they'll really like. Sadly I've had hours and hours of my DM telling me how cruel I am, and listing all the shit lovely gifts she's bought them to make up for my tightness. Never mind they have a playroom heaving with every conceivable toy for their age. Sigh.

kohl Thu 14-Dec-17 18:52:46

Yep. Stockings for each DD with little things in(playmobil person, chocolate, magazine, glitter, toothbrush etc) and then a few books each, a puzzle each and a game to share.
Dd2 is getting DD1's old bike & DD1 is getting a second hand (£50) bike. And that is plenty for a 7 and 3 year old that have loads of stuff already.
Am refusing to twitch or panic.

Easilyflattered Thu 14-Dec-17 18:54:00

No we've scaled back. Partly because we're moving next year, and I've promised one child two guinea pigs and a hutch when we have a garden, and the other child a trampoline when we have a garden. And I don't want an outstanding credit card balance when applying for mortgage.

MissUnderwood Thu 14-Dec-17 18:54:03

Last year we didn't get much for the DC. Mainly because we were trying to get out of debt. Oldest DC said later, quietly to DH, "Santa didn't get me much this year, but that's ok because I got some money". DH's family had given the boys some cash

Marcine Thu 14-Dec-17 18:55:01

I think we're kind of in the middle - 1 main present from us, 1 main present from Santa plus a stocking. Then they also get clothes and books from us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now