Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Garden bird ID help please!

(32 Posts)
AwakeCantSleep Thu 14-Dec-17 16:12:29

I've currently got a trail cam in my garden (it's triggered by movement), trained on the bird feeding station. I mostly see blackbirds, robins, blue tits, starlings (and bloody pigeons). Strangely, the (very numerous) sparrows aren't interested.

But I have no idea what this bird is? It's probably quite small, just seems big from sitting right next to the lens. (Apologies for the grainy, out of focus pictures. I'm blaming the bird for sitting so close to the camera... )

Does anyone know?

JillyBoel Thu 14-Dec-17 16:14:33

Female blackcap, maybe?

WhattheChuff Thu 14-Dec-17 16:15:56

Wren? It's head is small and stocky like the ones we get. Or a Nuthatch possibly? I'm no Ornithologist unfortunately!

MsHomeSlice Thu 14-Dec-17 16:16:35

try this Bird ID whatsit

Exercisejunkieforlife Thu 14-Dec-17 16:17:18

DH is a bird expert but he's out at the moment, when he comes back I'll ask him. grin

PanannyPanoo Thu 14-Dec-17 16:17:50

definitely a black cap

MsHomeSlice Thu 14-Dec-17 16:18:01

I think Jilly has it!

Female blackcap

AwakeCantSleep Thu 14-Dec-17 16:19:30

I've uploaded a short video here:

youtu.be/VV8ihC0pPxQ

(Only 10 seconds)

AwakeCantSleep Thu 14-Dec-17 16:22:32

Ohhh good shout, thank you Jilly and others. Perhaps exercise's DH can confirm smile

I've never noticed this type of bird before. I wonder if they are very common? My house is in an urban location, close to city centre, but also close to a river.

SmileChuck Thu 14-Dec-17 16:24:09

Black cap

Exercisejunkieforlife Thu 14-Dec-17 16:25:44

DH says is a blackcap .

AwakeCantSleep Thu 14-Dec-17 16:27:46

Thanks very much Exercise DH and everyone else.

HellonHeels Thu 14-Dec-17 16:29:28

ooo exciting! I love birds :-)

theothersideoftheworld Thu 14-Dec-17 16:32:51

I opened my curtains to find a kestrel sat on the swing frame and then flew onto the top of the bird table. It sat there for about 15 minutes. It was strangely quiet in the garden that morning!

AwakeCantSleep Thu 14-Dec-17 16:44:34

theother that must have been amazing! I could do with a kestrel here every now and then, to keep the pigeons and seagulls in check... I've only ever seen one outside of the city, in the marshes.

I don't know much about birds at all, but I want to learn, hence the feeding station and trail camera. I've even got myself an RSPB birds book smile

GingerKitCat Thu 14-Dec-17 17:44:12

Ooh where did you get your camera from?

I've topped up my feeders this afternoon, hooray for birds grin

AwakeCantSleep Thu 14-Dec-17 23:48:04

Ginger I got it on amazon. It runs on eight rechargeable batteries and has an SD card. It's fab - I've had no end of fun spying on the hedgehog, birds, neighbours' cats etc. Highly recommend it.

moogdroog Fri 15-Dec-17 00:08:33

I want a camera now.
For anyone in the market for a bird ID-ing book, this is a lovely one - www.mattsewell.co.uk/books/#/our-garden-birds/

SquirrelPlantedBeech Fri 15-Dec-17 00:13:13

I want one of those cameras!
I saw a nuthatch in our garden recently, was very pretty. I’ve never seen one before.

TheImportanceofBeingEarnest Fri 15-Dec-17 00:17:38

Ooh I get these in my garden but only in the last year or so. Mine seem teeny, tiny - much smaller than a sparrow/robin. Is a black cap tiny? They have really compact bodies and flit and dart rather than flying? That doesn't make sense, sorry ornithologists!
Your camera/spying thing sounds great, I might get me to get it for me for Christmas.

AwakeCantSleep Fri 15-Dec-17 11:07:44

TheImportance it could be a wren? Wrens are tiny. Blackcaps are a similar size to robins (says my clever book). My neighbour has seen a wren several times in her garden, but I'm yet to spot one myself.

Maudlinmaud Fri 15-Dec-17 11:12:15

Op what's in the cage? Is that a bird feeder?

AwakeCantSleep Fri 15-Dec-17 11:23:21

Yes it's a bird table. I had to put the cage over it to keep the pigeons and magpies off. They just scoffed the lot, leaving nothing for the smaller birds.

The robins and tits use the bird table, but it's not getting as many visitors as I was hoping for.

The resident blackbirds are very annoyed that they can't get to the food. Though I think they actually could fit through the mesh if they tried. I'm still trying to think of a way of feeding the blackbirds without also feeding the pigeons.

Pantah630 Fri 15-Dec-17 11:24:02

Blackcap

Maudlinmaud Fri 15-Dec-17 11:37:12

Awake that's a great idea. I have a few blackbirds, thrushes, a pair of collared doves and a lone Robin who visit my garden. I think the doves actually roost in one of the trees. We live across the road from a park with a lake and can hear the geese at this time of year as they fly over us. I will definitely investigate both the camera and cage idea, we see squirrels on the feeders a lot and my dog isn't a fan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now