Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Oh no! Not another MIL and Christmas thread... Confused...

(15 Posts)
Viserion Thu 14-Dec-17 15:59:49

A parcel arrived from Amazon addressed to DH and I earlier today. I opened it up and there are two items and two gift notes.

One is a gift voucher and there is a note saying Happy Christmas DHname, hope you find something nice to spend it on, Love Mum.

The other, and this is where it gets interesting, is a pack of Pledge fluffy duster replacement heads. confused. The note with this says 'enjoy your gift' love MILname. confused This has to be for me surely?

But who on earth thinks dusters are a Christmas present? I don't even have a Pledge duster whatsit!

Normally, I get on really well with MIL, and she sends me a gift voucher too.

She has just been to stay for a few days while her husband is in respite. This is the first time she has been here in about 18 months because her DH can't travel any more. No my house is not immaculately clean, I have a full time home-based job and we have just finished a large extension so the dust is still settling . But we spent 4 days feeding her, plying her with wine, basically did an early Christmas for her. She went home with a carload of gifts and enough food that she wouldn't have to shop when she got home.

I am really bloody confused! Why would she do this? For the moment, I have put it back in the packaging for DH to open when he gets in and see how he reacts. confused

Answers please?

Nosleepforthewicked Thu 14-Dec-17 16:03:22

If I were you I'd text saying, DH says thanks for his gifts! He especially loves his dusters and is using them right now! - she didn't put your name on it after all...

Jenala Thu 14-Dec-17 16:03:40

Perhaps she was buying a bunch of stuff for herself as well and clicked on the dusters as a gift by mistake?

Jenala Thu 14-Dec-17 16:04:10

It's the sort of thing my mum would do.

RestingGrinchFace Thu 14-Dec-17 16:05:45

I would think that it must be a mistake

Viserion Thu 14-Dec-17 16:10:44

I thought it must have been meant for her until I found the gift note. You can't do that bit by mistake!

Maybe they are meant as a joke for DH because of all the dust. But, she is (lovely as she usually is) quite old fashioned about the fact that DH does most of the cleaning here and she is one of those incredibly house proud, nothing out of place sort of people. I have often said to DH that I have the impression she thinks I am a slattern, so I am panicking that this is her PA way to tell me sort my act out!

I will be making sure he rings her on speakerphone for an explanation later, for sure!

LoveProsecco Sat 16-Dec-17 01:20:29

Did he call?

coconutnut Sat 16-Dec-17 07:29:34

Cliff hanger!!

Fitzsimmons Sat 16-Dec-17 07:31:42

Were they from Amazon? It might have been a mistake in the warehouse.

NotAChristmasCakePop Sat 16-Dec-17 07:34:01

Hilarious, what did DH make of it?

bikingintherain Sat 16-Dec-17 07:37:03

'Enjoy your gift' is the generic gift message when you have selected gift options. I'd say there was a reasonable possibility she meant to order them for herself, but forgot to unselect gift option, and change delivery setting. Possibly they were in her basket and she just didn't notice. If so e that kind of thing a reasonable amount. If she doesn't have dorm for it I'd give her the benefit of the doubt for a bit.

ItsBeginingToLookAlotLikeChris Sat 16-Dec-17 08:58:49

I think it's a joke and it's for dh and that's certainly the way I would be presenting it. Not for one second would I be taking those on!

Bumpinthenight Sat 16-Dec-17 09:27:48

Could be dusters she wanted. I put things in my Amazon wishlist that I want to buy, when I do buy them they automatically have the gift checklist ticked and come with a label.

If it isn't that, don't worry you now have an entry for the "shit presents" thread!

Appuskidu Sat 16-Dec-17 09:33:05

Is the ‘enjoy your gift’ the generic message you get when you buy things off a wish list?

Have you asked who they are for?

CurlyBlueberry Sat 16-Dec-17 10:01:10

Is there an update on this?! Really curious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now