Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you get hens out of sofas?

(79 Posts)
TheWhyteRoseShallRiseAgain Thu 14-Dec-17 14:58:33

Ok in the things that could only happen to me stakes. Very kind people friendly with DH apparently said ages ago they had some wee birds for our DDs. DH forgot all about this and today said birds arrived, no problem we keep plenty of our own have space etc. BUT on arrival birds promptly escape and 2 immediately disappear into the workings of the sofa (third grabbed and secured). How the frig do I get them out (can't lift sofa)?

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Thu 14-Dec-17 14:59:31

How did they get in?? confused

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 14-Dec-17 15:01:27

I shouldn't laugh...grin

Food?

scurryfunge Thu 14-Dec-17 15:01:42

Egg-stremely carefully.
Can you tempt them out with feed?

BenLui Thu 14-Dec-17 15:02:07

Your DH brought them into your house? confused

I’d suggest leaving dishes of food and water out and leaving the room, they were probably frightened and may come out if it’s quiet.

I doubt your sofa will ever recover from the smell of chicken droppings though...

TheWhyteRoseShallRiseAgain Thu 14-Dec-17 15:03:44

Person just dropped off in open bag and as dd2 looked they jumped out I grabbed one but 2 legged it. Tried food but the buggers don't seem hungry confused

BenLui Thu 14-Dec-17 15:06:06

Oh dear.

Aridane Thu 14-Dec-17 15:07:47

TigerMoon Thu 14-Dec-17 15:08:02

There is a chicken keepers topic on MN - try posting there you might get some more ideas.

I've only had hens a few months myself so not an expert but I did read that they hate being transported from one place to another so they might prefer to stay inside the sofa for a while until they've had chance to calm down.

Good luck getting them out :-)

BillyDaveysDaughter Thu 14-Dec-17 15:09:28

Mealworms, dried ones. Get them in the bird feed section of the local garden centre!

MycatsaPirate Thu 14-Dec-17 15:10:05

I thought this was going to a be a type and you meant pen and I was going to say scatter some seed.

But you do actually have two hens in your sofa.

Your house is as fucking mental as mine.

nobutreally Thu 14-Dec-17 15:10:25

OP: are there three of those chickens? Are any of them wearing a beret at a rakish angle? A string of garlic around their little fluffy necks maybe?

BillyDaveysDaughter Thu 14-Dec-17 15:10:44

Oh yes, Tiger is right...they might now see the sofa as a safe roosting spot, so they may not venture out again until daylight tomorrow morning!

beargryllshasabigrope Thu 14-Dec-17 15:11:02

I only clicked on this thread because I thought it was a typo and wanted to see what was actually in the sofa. Turns out it is hens! Erm. No advice. Good luck!

Zubrowka Thu 14-Dec-17 15:12:36

Oh my god. Sorry OP but grin grin grin

I know that's not helpful. Hope you catch them soon!

gunsandbanjos Thu 14-Dec-17 15:15:32

Are these full grown hens? How on earth did they get in?!
Food is the only thing I can think of.

NoParticularPattern Thu 14-Dec-17 15:23:32

When you say inner workings of the sofa what do you mean? I’m imagining a reclining sofa style thing like ours, but it can’t be that easy if you haven’t managed to fish them out by now!! If they’ve got in there there has to be a way out surely?! I mean I know hens are brilliant escape artists (or at least mine bloody well are!!) but they do need a gap to fit through! Any chance you can get into the underneath if you wait and get DH/neighbours or whoever to give you a hand and lift the sofa? Other than that I’m at a loss! Especially since they don’t know where they are so they won’t know where to come to for food/water!

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 14-Dec-17 15:24:42

No advice but grin

whothefuckhas5children Thu 14-Dec-17 15:26:11

Another who thought typo and you meant pens grin
Good luck!

TheWhyteRoseShallRiseAgain Thu 14-Dec-17 15:29:00

Hmph appear to be reasonably happy in there so will probably just have to stay there until later. When DH comes in we have to leave for dd1s Christmas show so have put some food and water in behind sofa and will hope they appear/ stop being travel sick.(Yes recliner thingy). Cat not amused at being locked up.

chickenowner Thu 14-Dec-17 15:29:55

Our chickens absolutely LOVE leftover pasta. Could you lay a trail and tempt them out?

MirriVan Thu 14-Dec-17 15:33:26

Hens love Christmas films.
Put Love Actually on and they'll come out to watch.

LilQueenie Thu 14-Dec-17 15:33:36

Let the cat near the couch and scare them out grin

I actually thought there was a typo in the title.

Tinselistacky Thu 14-Dec-17 15:36:45

I thought you meant pen out of a sofa!!!

Mummylin Thu 14-Dec-17 15:38:31

Leave a packet of sage and onion near where they got in, if they can read they will soon come out 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now