Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help- bechamel sauce!

(54 Posts)
FrustratedTeddyLamp Thu 14-Dec-17 13:38:11

I love food with bechamel sauce type sauces but on all the instructions they always say aroubd 15-30 minutes but i find mine takes 90-120 minutes to have a decent chance of not tasting floury... how long does yours take to not taste floury

fairylightseverywhere Thu 14-Dec-17 13:42:08

Here's my super easy, takes less than one minute alternative to bechemel sauce. Get a tub of creme fraiche, add a little water to make it pourable, add salt and pepper if desired. DONE! I've only used it on lasagne but it tastes amazing and saves a huge amount of time smile

MrsPestilence Thu 14-Dec-17 13:46:33

About 15 mins. I always use a mix of oil and butter so that the flour can be cooked without going brown, then add the milk, bring to boil and simmer 5 mins.

Adding a tub of creme fraiche adds a nice zing.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Thu 14-Dec-17 13:46:40

Are you cooking the roux at all?

Northumberlandlass Thu 14-Dec-17 13:49:36

The floury taste should really be cooked out in the roux before adding the milk slowly.
Are you cooking the roux long enough?
I have now idea how a béchamel can take that long shock

fussychica Thu 14-Dec-17 13:52:01

I do it in the microwave. Melt butter, add cornflour mix and cook for 30 secs. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Bung in microwave until milk boils and sauce thickens. Removing regularly to stir. I also season and add mustard while cooking.
So about 5 min max.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Thu 14-Dec-17 13:55:27

Melt the butter and add flour until it combines and makes a lump/ paste then gradually add milk. And constantly stir. Tbh i hardly do it as it takes so long and i get armache

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 14-Dec-17 13:55:29

If it's not cooked after 15 minutes, I can't see how cooking it for another hour and a half will help

teaortequila23 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:56:05

I cook mine for about 10mins from start to finish.
I melt butter add flour to it as soon as it’s all melted cook the flour for about a minute stirring with a whisk then add milk (full fat) till flour is all dissolved then chuck in grated cheese and salt and pepper. That’s it.
I use full fat everything. That’s what makes it taste so good! blush
(This is not often only when we have lasagna which is about every 2-3weeks)

FrustratedTeddyLamp Thu 14-Dec-17 13:57:13

I dunno i guess because the longer it goes on the more things i add to try and mask the flour in desperation. But ive always been told it just takes longer to " cook the flour out"

kmc1111 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:58:16

Jeez, mine takes about 5 minutes (10-15 if cooking an extra large batch for a crowd). Never tastes floury.

How much liquid are you using that it takes up to two hours?

FrustratedTeddyLamp Thu 14-Dec-17 13:59:34

I use skimmed milk and atleast a litre to two

Eolian Thu 14-Dec-17 14:00:09

Mine takes about 10 mins. How can flour take ages to cook? Lots of things with flour in (e.g. pancakes) cook really quickly!

Growingboys Thu 14-Dec-17 14:01:34

Maybe use full fat milk as skimmed milk has less taste.

Mine takes 15 mins I reckon, if that!

whatsthecomingoverthehill Thu 14-Dec-17 14:01:45

Yeh, you should cook the paste for a bit before adding the milk.

Maybe you're particularly sensitive to the floury taste as well. I quite often make vegetables in a white sauce and I can never be bothered making the sauce separately so I just add flour to the sauteed veg, mix it a bit, then add the milk. I don't notice it tasting particularly floury, but maybe I'm just used to it.

MrsPestilence Thu 14-Dec-17 14:02:45

Cooking the flour out is done before adding any milk.
Melt the butter (plus a little oil if you are a butter burner), add flour, stir for a few mins over a medium heat (this cooks the flour) don't add milk until the flour is cooked. The roux should bubble and cook, be careful not to make it too thick.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Thu 14-Dec-17 14:02:59

To be fair its probably for the best otherwise id have had more than 1-2 macaroni cheeses a year! Whats worrying is my brother was an accomplished chef ( worked with and catered for celebrity chefs wedding) before he got injured and he also takes an age to do it!

movingtowardsthelight Thu 14-Dec-17 14:03:29

I melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Then cook that gently until it smells cooked.

Takes about 3 minutes on medium heat. This it the important bit as the raw flour is cooked out in this stage.

Add strained hot seasoned (bay leaf, onion, pepper corns, nutmeg)) milk and whisk. It will thicken almost instantly.

It sounds as though you are not cooking the flour in the fat for long enough before adding the milk.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Thu 14-Dec-17 14:06:29

Ive got to say when i add the flour it goes more into crumbly little pieces so a lot of time im whisking to get rid of lumps and strain to get rid of it. So how does that translate into making it more of a paste...more butter? And how do you stop it burning?

MrsPestilence Thu 14-Dec-17 14:08:33

More butter and a splash of oil OR use ghee.

PurplePillowCase Thu 14-Dec-17 14:10:24

quantity seems an issue.
1litre sauce will need longer to cook than half that.
agree that the flour needs to cook in oil first, I let it bubble a bit before adding milk and other ingredients.

Roystonv Thu 14-Dec-17 14:11:13

Also why is your arm getting tired; even if it needs cooking a bit longer (but nowhere near as long as you are doing) it is not a recipe that needs continual stirring once the sauce is made. What are you achieving by it.

Mrstrumpalot Thu 14-Dec-17 14:11:47

Was that a typo with the timing you said?

FrustratedTeddyLamp Thu 14-Dec-17 14:13:03

So... in theory equal amounts butter and flour to make it a paste( if its crumbly add a bit more butter.) Then let it cook for 2-3 minutes in the pan ( by not touching it at all? Arent you worried about it burning? ) then add the milk gradually or all at once?

FrustratedTeddyLamp Thu 14-Dec-17 14:13:43

No not a typo it ends up being a workout kf sorts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now