Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Collective wisdom - where to eat dinner on a66?

(23 Posts)
moobeana Thu 14-Dec-17 13:10:16

I’m in need of mumsnet wisdom and help.

We are heading off on a long drive to my family in Northern Ireland this Christmas. We have decided to stop in Doncaster and go swimming with the girls to break up the first part of the journey. We will be crossing the a66 at the girls teatime and wonder if there is anywhere good to eat? It will be around 5:30 so some of the lovely farm shops etc night not be open at that time.

Mumsnetters are always great at this kind of quest. So please help and give me your best recommendations!

moobeana Thu 14-Dec-17 14:06:20

No one!

user1494409994 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:25:41

It's a bugger of a long road. Which end will you be closest to at that time?

chocoshopoholic Thu 14-Dec-17 14:28:03

The A66 is about 180km long. But if you're anywhere near, Wellington Farm tea rooms are lovely.

moobeana Thu 14-Dec-17 15:43:50

Oh thanks!

We are travelling from scotch corner across to penrith from around 5-6:30. So I’m happy to stop at the best place and plan snacks accordingly.

I am just aware it is not the most populated of areas so need some insider knowledge!

moobeana Thu 14-Dec-17 15:45:05

@chocoshopoholic
I’m off to google it I’m worried the lovely farm shops will be shut for dinner. I’ve often stopped at some during lunchtimes and they are amazing.

Gintoxicated Thu 14-Dec-17 15:49:07

Mainsgill farm is lovely but I'm not sure of their opening times. Worth stopping in Richmond if not as plenty of options there

user1494409994 Thu 14-Dec-17 15:55:20

Mainsgill Farm closes at 5 according to their website. What about the Rheged Centre, just past Penrith?

Dowser Thu 14-Dec-17 16:00:02

Rheghed but I think you’d need to get their much earlier

Do you really want to cross that road in the pitch black
So much nicer to see it in daylight
If you miss rheghed the George hotel in Penrith does nice meals but a bit pricey
Also llama cafe but I suspect that will be closed too

Where are you staying
The hotel for the blind at Windermere does nice family rooms

thenightsky Thu 14-Dec-17 16:06:33

I always stop at the Karma Llama, but I think it closes at teatime.

moobeana Thu 14-Dec-17 16:17:06

Thanks all, we normally stop at Mainsgill farm. It has been our stop of choice for years, but this year we are doing things at a different time to usual.

We are staying in Dumfries eventually, but want to stop between 5-6 as the girls will have been in the car for about 3 hours at that point and will need another break.

I feared most places will be shutting at 5 which is such a shame.

We will be driving back in daylight so we will get to see the gorgeous scenery then. It is a beautiful drive and we get to stock on yummy farm food to bring home!

I’m off to google what’s available in Richmond.

moobeana Thu 14-Dec-17 16:41:58

Hmm can’t seem to find Richmond that’s not near London? Am I missing something?

moobeana Thu 14-Dec-17 17:14:55

Bump for evening crowd!

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 14-Dec-17 17:16:20

Anything here?

Or try googling Richmond Yorkshire Pub Restaurant Cafe whatever, or try zooming in on google maps to see if anything comes up.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 14-Dec-17 17:21:34

Seasons Restaurant in the Station complex in Richmond looks good and serves food until 8.30 pm

GingerKitCat Thu 14-Dec-17 17:23:26

I think my folks have stopped at Fox Hall Inn before when Mainsgill was too busy/ closed.

here

They have a small kids menu too smile

Korez Thu 14-Dec-17 17:35:14

There are some nice places at Barnard Castle which is not far off route either...

moobeana Thu 14-Dec-17 17:37:21

Oh thank you, I’m really struggling online, it appears to be a bit of a black spot!

I am stressing about this part of the journey more than any other, partly because both my dds and are prone to becoming ‘hangry’!

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Thu 14-Dec-17 17:45:18

Fox hall like said up thread, is a Fish and chip place (but posher). I was disappointed with the Station last time I went (and overpriced). If you go to Barnard castle and get there before 5.30, Vivo pizzeria does an early bird menu (pizza pasta) for about 7 quid. The a lacarte isn't outrageous. Three horseshoes nice pub, couple chippies.

moobeana Tue 19-Dec-17 19:16:50

Well we have just left ‘the royal oak’ on Appleby. It was amazing!

Gorgeous food, friendly staff and they even had hair straightners in the toilets! Very helpful for me who didn’t have time this morning.

Thoroughly recommend

Autumnchill Tue 19-Dec-17 19:26:15

Ancient Unicorn if it's still open and Royal Oak at Appleby if that's the one where it's on what was the original road but dual carriageway now built. We had good food there.

itsallrelative2017 Tue 19-Dec-17 23:03:33

I see you got sorted but next time, if all else fails there's a KFC right on the a66 as it goes through Penrith grin

FrankiesKnuckle Tue 19-Dec-17 23:34:27

Some lovely places in Penrith. Loads of nice pubs.
Can highly recommend The Lounge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now