Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

anyone else getting far fewer Xmas cards this year?

(50 Posts)
lucydogz Thu 14-Dec-17 12:46:59

Normally we've had a fair number by now, but this year only have 5 or 6 rather lonely looking ones. Anyone else having this?

toffee1000 Thu 14-Dec-17 12:53:24

People on MN seem to hate sending Christmas cards, saying they’re a waste of money and trees. I think that’s a bit miserable tbh but to each their own.

ShatnersWig Thu 14-Dec-17 13:16:20

It decreases with each passing year, I find. Obviously some have sadly died off but I definitely get fewer each year although I still send the same amount.

JustHappy3 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:17:07

Yes but i was hugely relieved yesterday to discover the post hasn't been delivered while the snow's been around and there's a massive backlog in the depots.
Either that or 40 friends/family aren't sending me a card this year!

SparklingSnowfall Thu 14-Dec-17 13:17:54

Yes! We have 6, used to get about 50!

onemouseplace Thu 14-Dec-17 13:18:38

We have 3 now - usually have more than that by this time! Not that I've sent any yet, mind you.

toffee1000 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:20:04

We’ve only got one so far, from our window cleaners. Most of ours come from relatives.

Crunchymum Thu 14-Dec-17 13:21:17

2 here, they look pathetic!

NancyJoan Thu 14-Dec-17 13:21:22

Not just this year, though. Last few have been slim pickings.

fussychica Thu 14-Dec-17 13:21:39

Definitely. Only ones I receive / send are to close family or those who don't use/like the internet. Everyone else gets an ecard with a message which they can watch over and over again if they want.
I do save any really beautiful cards I might receive and put them up along with new ones.

specialsubject Thu 14-Dec-17 13:23:28

Bit early. Still writing mine, last post not until the 20th.

mrsm43s Thu 14-Dec-17 13:25:47

Only a few here this year. Has been a gradual decline over the last decade to be honest, but this year there have definitely been notably fewer.

I haven't sent any cards for about 5/6 years and am reasonably vocal about my dislike of Xmas Cards cluttering up the place, so I can't really complain!

Iwantacampervan Thu 14-Dec-17 13:40:25

I've had the same number through the post and the hand delivered ones haven't yet arrived (I'll admit I've not done mine yet). Not teaching this year does reduce the numbers received and my daughters, being older teens, don't seem to receive as many. However, I used to get a few from my cubs - we had our last meeting this week and I wasn't given a single one.

Anymajordude Thu 14-Dec-17 13:44:41

I've got about 4. I've sent 10. Normally I send about 50. It's a dying tradition.

EnidButton Thu 14-Dec-17 13:59:06

Loads less. I sent mine but only because my DM was slightly horrified that people would miss them. So now they'll feel obliged to send back and the circle will continue. 🙄 Should've stuck to my guns.

Playdohnut Thu 14-Dec-17 14:02:58

It's the cost of postage for me. Sending far fewer than I used to.

VanGoghsLeftEar Thu 14-Dec-17 14:07:30

My husband is a postie and his Christmas bonus each year is 50 first class stamps, so we are ok for postage, but yes, we get less and less each year too.

Bluerose27 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:11:30

5 so far. Last year I think we got about 20. Still a week and a bit to go though

We sent out 14 and have recieved 2 so far!

Christmas cards are not really a thing in germany though and I think my parents will bring some over from british relatives whenthey fly over to us.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 14-Dec-17 14:11:55

Me too.

PinkHeart5914 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:13:04

Mine just keep coming! Admittedly my family is big and all over the world so they tend to send them with a message & photos about the year they have had.

Dh family isn’t very big but his a lot of friends & clients that send cards

nobutreally Thu 14-Dec-17 14:15:10

Yes - and I've sent massively less this year too. I do send to those family/friends who I think still value them though. Mine is partly for environmental reasons: all that paper and glitter (non-biodegradable) just to say 'happy Christmas'; partly because I think social media has decreased the need - I stay in touch with the far-flung family and friends that way, whereas a few years ago Christmas cards were a very key point of connection. And saving that postage cost doesn't hurt! I know sending ecards/greetings on social media has an environmental impact too, but so much less.

IrritatedUser1960 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:16:26

Well yes about half here but then I have stopped sending cards to people I never see anymore.

Viviennemary Thu 14-Dec-17 14:18:55

We've not had many yet thank goodness. I have cut down again this year. Hope the wretched business dies out altogether soon. Bah humbug.

AnnabelleLecter Thu 14-Dec-17 14:21:22

We've had 12. Used to get 60+. I've cut down but still like to send a choice few.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now