Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

BREXIT - does anyone have any optimism?

(80 Posts)
highashormones Thu 14-Dec-17 12:29:08

I am really grasping for one glimmer of positive outcome that hold on to because at the moment it just gives me palpitations.

Having just googled 'positive outcomes for Brexit' - I was met with number of optimistic news articles and editorial up to about July this year. Then... radio silence. And, to top it all, even The Express seem to be turning.

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/891217/Brexit-news-latest-Rand-corporation-Brexit-update-UK-economy-gdp-EU-European-Union-video

Can anyone give me anything positive to hang on to?

Draylon Thu 14-Dec-17 12:50:37

I genuinely try not to think about it, there aren't any postives. sad

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 14-Dec-17 12:53:54

I have optimism!

I am optimistic either that somehow we end up revoking A50, or that Scotland leaves rUK (and joins EU)

There is no optimism to be had if we do Brexit though.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Thu 14-Dec-17 13:37:18

I’m am optimistic about the fact I spent this summer clearing out my cellar to stockpile essentials. That’s about it.

Anymajordude Thu 14-Dec-17 14:16:38

I'm more optimistic today than before since that vote. I'm hoping 2018 will turn the tide and sensible people will be in charge.

squoosh Thu 14-Dec-17 14:17:51

I have a smidge more optimism since last night.

Trying2bgd Thu 14-Dec-17 14:22:17

With regards to Brexit, very little but after yesterday's vote I have a little hope that we will be allowed to have a vote to choose either the deal we are actually offered or to stay in the EU.

restbiterepeat Thu 14-Dec-17 14:25:34

Yes, I'm optimistic. That counts for shit though. I also play the lottery and assume I'll exercise off every empty calorie I eat.

Allthebubbles Thu 14-Dec-17 14:38:56

No not really, it's done massive damage already even if it miraculously gets called off.

highashormones Thu 14-Dec-17 19:13:10

I can't see that it will be called off but I hope it does

HirplesWithHaggis Thu 14-Dec-17 19:19:33

Yesterday's vote means very little. Parliament can say "yes" to whatever Mrs May presents, or we leave with no deal at all. Not much of a choice, is it?

SnowGlitter Thu 14-Dec-17 19:20:23

No. No optimism.

lolaflores Thu 14-Dec-17 19:24:02

In a wide circle...since Roy Moore lost in Alabama, I have a feeling sense is begining to get a foothold int he world at large once mroe and maybe this nightmare is going to get shut down.
Look at it this way. If Brexit came about out of utter chaos and total, flabber gasting circustances, then what is to say that it can't disappear the same way?
Yes. The damage has been done, in so many ways, and it will take time to put that right but I believe in my heart of hearts that the point will come where the pressure of Brexit will simply prove too much for anyone to take and then the grown ups will take over and make nice with Brussels once again, smooth over the ruffled feathers and make something sensible.
Thats what I think, but i was born a Roman Catholic and am capable of believing pretty much anything.

Camomila Thu 14-Dec-17 19:39:17

I won't feel optimistic until I have my official settled status piece of paper in my hand (Italian. Been here since I was 5)

Kursk Thu 14-Dec-17 19:41:22

Nope, so glad we left the UK when we did. I have no hope left for the UK.

RestingGrinchFace Thu 14-Dec-17 19:42:32

Not for at least ten years-goes to get dual citizenship for children.

I'm kidding of course. I don't expect it to be good, not for, like I said, ten years but I am hardly expecting disaster.

Andante57 Thu 14-Dec-17 19:46:14

Yes I am optimistic

maxthemartian Thu 14-Dec-17 19:59:06

No optimism whatever about Brexit.

lljkk Thu 14-Dec-17 19:59:59

On a good day I don't think much will change, that's my optimism, we end up with Norway.

If things do change, I don't feel awful about the future. Still, Brexit is just such a pointless wasted exercise with very few benefits. In 10-20 yrs, I reckon UK situation will be like today, but with these aspects in spite of or due to Brexit:

*We will still get to travel to Europe
*We will still trade A Lot (vast majority) with Europe
*Immigration will still be considered too high (we need it to be!)
*Immigration will be hugely less than it was from EU and a fair lot more than it was from non-EU (hoorah! More brown people, coz that's what all the Leavers voted for, right?)
*Anti-immigrant sentiment will still be high sad New scapegoats.
*Public services will be reduced compared to today, due to lower corporate tax revenue, right when demand soars & the ageing population need more services
*Explicit rationing of NHS services, much more basic services, no more NHS dental, etc.
*Security type research & industry will boom -- in accordance with the Us vs. Them attitude to rest of World
*UK will have declined influence in world, plenty comments from the likes of Putin about little island in the Atlantic
*There will be fewer jobs that rely on intellectual capital, expertise and years of training
*More people will be net non-contributors: both more low skilled on benefits and more retired folk
*Food more expensive and there will be lower food safety & product standards
*The emigration business will be doing well

Kittykatmacbill Thu 14-Dec-17 20:00:23

No. It’s all bad. Except the 2 fantasies fine suggested.

holasoydora Thu 14-Dec-17 20:02:33

No.

MiddlingMum Thu 14-Dec-17 20:05:37

No, none at all.

Smitff Thu 14-Dec-17 20:08:36

In the near and medium term, there will be tough times.

But I’ve always thought that Britain, and British people (especially the Welsh, Scots and northern English) are brave and resourceful people. British people are capable of being innovative, creative, hard working, and world leaders in the fields they choose to devote resources too (medicine, certain parts of tech, certain elements of aeronautics, tertiary education, cultural propaganda, dramatic arts, manufacturing (every diminishing but there are vestiges), culinary arts etc etc etc). They’re also very capable of being miserable, pessimistic, moany, backward-looking.

Post-EU Britain will be a very different place. But it will be what the British make of it. Current EU leaders have a huge vested interest in (being seen to be) punishing the UK, because there is grass-roots trouble fomenting elsewhere within the EU.

I prefer to see this as an opportunity. The world is much, much bigger than the EU. From outside the EU this is much easier to see (I live in the US).

Frith1975 Thu 14-Dec-17 20:08:41

No. Complete pile of bollocks.

specialsubject Thu 14-Dec-17 20:10:25

We might realise that if the only people who will harvest our food are those prepared to accept near slave wages, then we need to pay more and waste less, and not whine to eat strawberries in December.
We might realise that as all those immigrants are staying , a country of 70 million with infrastructure for 50 needs to pay higher taxes and spend them wisely.
We might realise that nuclear power is the answer, not wind farms.

None of which is entirely the fault of the EU but a lot of idiocy may now have to be sorted. Pity it could not have been done by negotiation from within, but there are arseholes running the EU too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now