Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

RFID - how to tell if genuine

(9 Posts)
LisaMed1 Thu 14-Dec-17 12:18:54

I'm thinking about getting a new purse and I've heard all the hype about scammers taking money from your cards while they're still in your pocket and that you can get RFID protection.

The first place I looked was eBay, but how would I know if it was genuine?

(btw most I have ever spent on a handbag is £20, so I am a cheapskate when it comes to this)

cjt110 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:04:57

Whats RFID?

soupforbrains Thu 14-Dec-17 13:06:36

RFID is Radio Frequency Identification. It's the technology that makes contactless payment on your cards, Apple Pay, oyster etc work.

DoneAdulting Thu 14-Dec-17 13:06:44

You say you've heard all the hype, but have you ever actually heard a first hand experience of this happening?

LisaMed1 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:21:07

DoneAdulting I've never heard of anyone having this happen, but then again, I am effectively housebound and most of my real life conversations are with my ten year old. I literally don't get out much.

However I wasn't sure about it as scare stories come and go but the world keeps turning.

sparechange Thu 14-Dec-17 13:51:02

I have a friend who works for Visa and he says it is impossible. This is a nearly-cut and paste of what he said in reply to a Facebook post warning of scammers going around train stations with machines taking contactless payments from cards in bags and pockets:

For someone to be able to take payments from a card using contactless, they have to be set up as a merchant
This requires proper paperwork and an associated business bank account all of which require set up fees.
When a payment is taken from a card, it goes to the bank account of the payment processor where it sits for a couple of days and then gets forwarded on to the merchant's account

If someone got hold of a contactless payment machine and just went around busy areas taking money, it wouldn't just appear in their account.

At worst, they would get away with it for a day until fraud systems spotted something. By this point, the money is more than likely still with the payment processor so would be refunded easily. If it has been forwarded to the merchant account, it can be stopped.
And their merchant account would be shit down immediately to stop the scammers. So all in all, it would be a very inefficient way of people trying to take money

Basically, the chances of this ever being a successful scam are so vanishingly small, you're much better off worrying about pick pockets

idontlikealdi Thu 14-Dec-17 14:32:27

You can get an RFID sleeve to prevent card clash so I assume it would block if this were to ever actually occur.

LisaMed1 Thu 14-Dec-17 15:40:52

sparechange thank you for posting that. I know I'm clueless when it comes to this, and I'm really grateful for help.

idontlikealdi I suppose I could if I was worried, but thinking about it, I only leave the house about twice a month so I suppose it isn't a very active risk.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 14-Dec-17 15:52:30

I keep my debit card in one of these

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now