Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

14 years ago, aged 17, I was earning the current minimum wage!

(16 Posts)
DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 14-Dec-17 11:59:04

Why did I ever leave that job?? shock (I hated the people I worked with <stupid stupid stupid>) I went from earning £3/hr in a shop to earning over £14,000 a year in a bank. I thought I was rich. Im now a single Mum working part time on minimum wage paying £££ in private rental with government assistance. I wonder what my salary would be now if I had stayed in that job. I’d probably have a mortgage and be on my way to Home ownership!

Draylon Thu 14-Dec-17 12:51:57

Hindsight!

RaindropsAndSparkles Thu 14-Dec-17 12:56:43

Well you are only 31 and there's no point looking backwards, you can only change the future. You have 37 years of work ahead, lots of time to forge success. Start planning for it.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 14-Dec-17 12:59:47

Oh I am working on it now. It was just something that came into my head via another thread and got me thinking how lucky I was then and didn’t even realise it.

ReinettePompadour Thu 14-Dec-17 13:06:31

When the NMW came in I was earning £9.50 ph working in hospitality. When I left my role they employed someone and only paid them the NMW at £2.25ph (They were under 21). hmm

Prior to that when there was no NMW I had worked as an office cleaner in the evenings while I was at high school so around 15 yrs old. I was paid £7.50ph. I still have some of those wage slips now.

It shocks me that I now still earn the same wage per hour as I did when I was a cleaner when I was 15, I'm heading towards 50 years old shortly shock I often think I should have carried on in my job in hospitality all those years ago.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 14-Dec-17 13:21:11

shock that’s mad to think about isn’t it? As draylon says, hindsight!

Janetjanetjanet Thu 14-Dec-17 13:22:46

What's the minimum wage atm?

ReinettePompadour Thu 14-Dec-17 13:32:35

What's the minimum wage atm?
Currently its as below, but its going up in April by another 20p ph I think.

25 and over £7.50

21 to 24 £7.05

18 to 20 £5.60

Under 18 £4.05

Apprentice £3.50

crackerjacket Thu 14-Dec-17 14:11:08

In 1998 when I was 16 I earned 4.20 pounds per hour.

So twenty years ago, people earned 15p more per hour.

It's a total scandal, it really is.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 14-Dec-17 14:17:29

That’s just madness! How have we gone so far backwards?

ReinettePompadour Thu 14-Dec-17 14:25:03

They brought in the NMW thats what happened.

Companies used to pay people what they thought they were worth. They paid more for people because they knew their reputation was on the line if they paid a pittance. The NMW basically gives businesses the excuse to not pay a decent wage because as long as they pay NMW theyre doing what they need to do.

I understand why it was brought in as some people were being paid £1 per hour which you couldnt live on. (Usually vulnerable and immigrants). But the downside is that hundreds of jobs that used to offer a good wage no longer do because they only need to pay NMW now.

idontlikealdi Thu 14-Dec-17 14:34:56

I was on £2.90 an hour in my student bar job in 1997!

Twinkletowedelephant Thu 14-Dec-17 14:37:39

First job at 16 in the co-op £2.22 an hour...

Still remember the barcode number for a cucumber smile bastard things never scanned

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 14-Dec-17 14:39:58

DS17 is on £7.50ph in his part time job. DH is 60 and earns £7.90 per hour. He works 84 hours a week to bring in a reasonable wage overall. It's a scandal how low the minimum wage is.

ZigZagandDustin Thu 14-Dec-17 14:44:33

The greatest advantage a young person can have in life is an understanding of how the jobs market works. I was lucky but a bit clueless when I started out. I did go wherever I saw the money to be but my understanding was limited. My first boyfriend was an entrepreneur, older than me and a good businessman. I'll never forget him saying to me 'you have no idea where money comes from or how hard it is to make it. Every £10 you earn is not £10, it's probably £5.' It always stayed with me.

I had considered in my youth teaching, nursery school worker, hairdresser, interior designer, nurse etc etc but thank fuck I never actually went any of those directions. Especially as a woman who wanted kids. I don't think people have any idea of how much their future is decided the moment they choose their first few jobs.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 14-Dec-17 15:33:52

Still remember the barcode number for a cucumber smile bastard things never scanned

grin brilliant! I still remember some of my old customers account numbers. They’re probably dead now! shock

zigzag very true!!

My previous manager has been with the company 12 years and works herself into the ground for them. She is on £7.60 an hour. I think that’s a fucking disgrace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now