Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Urgent weight loss help needed!!

(48 Posts)
NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 11:43:13

I've put on a lot of weight this year. Over 2 stone to be exact. Stress from various ongoing matters led me down the ' eff it' route and I stopped being careful with my eating and drinking.
I've now discovered that DH has booked a winter sun holiday as a surprise for the end of January!
I feel sick. No way do I want to go to a hot country laden with my additional jelly rolls! I also do not want to invest in a new holiday wardrobe for my increased size.
I had planned to get things under control once Christmas over, but I obviously need to start now and I need a quick a fix as possible.
Can anyone share their best advice on quick weight loss?

ComtesseDeSpair Thu 14-Dec-17 11:52:04

In the short term to lose the weight - eat mostly protein and vegetables. No mindless snacking - before you put anything in your mouth ask yourself if you're actually hungry or just eating because you want to. No processed foods, no sugar - once you ditch the processed carbs and sugar you stop craving them. Cut the booze down or right out - appreciate difficult at this time of year. Don't buy lots of Christmas treat food - again, this. Again, can be difficult at this time of year. But you do need to be really disciplined.

Longer term to keep the weight off - find the diet and lifestyle that works for you. This might be low carbing, or just becoming more aware of what, when and why you eat what you do.

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 12:08:38

@Comtesse
Thanks for the good advice!! Yes, mindless snacking/comfort eating has got me where I am. I'd recognised I needed to break the cycle but thought it was a New Year plan, not bluddy right now!! shock

MrsHathaway Thu 14-Dec-17 12:14:21

1. Don't drink calories. In particular, ditch any milky coffees, wine, etc. This can make hundreds of calories' difference per day.

2. Give up refined sugar today. The next few days will be weird (like a hangover) but drink plenty of water and try to avoid diet drinks which will make you hungry. If you want to indulge at parties, try to stick to savoury rather than sweet.

3. Find stuff to do with your hands in the evenings that will keep you away from mindless snacking then. It's a good time of year for that though tbh with card writing, wrapping, deep cleaning etc. Even a fidget spinner would help!

4. Related to 3, try not to sit down, if sitting down is where you snack. If you snack standing up in the kitchen, try to stay out of it.

Hope you have a fabulous holiday. You can't safely and mustn't try to lose two stone in seven weeks but you can make positive changes now to lose the first part and ensure you don't put on any more over the season.

mummaavocado Thu 14-Dec-17 12:14:43

I've lost 17lb since Halloween doing the 'no s diet' hoping for another 2 lb this week. So you've definitely got time to make a good start on your weight loss before your holiday!

You need low/no sugar, low carb & low/no alcohol and make sure your having protein at every meal. Protein and healthy fats are going to keep you feeling more satisfied between meals and less tempted to snack.

Don't worry massively about working out, just keep moving through the day.

Your main objective to weight loss is creating a calorie deficit.

MrsHathaway Thu 14-Dec-17 12:20:01

BTW do you have DC at home? I think they can make it very difficult because you have to try not to model dieting behaviour! Obviously a healthy diet is good for everyone but if you have biscuits in for quick after-school snack you could consider getting a type they like and you don't so you're less tempted to eat the broken ones...

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 12:24:12

@MrsHathaway
Great tick list for me to have as a guide!! Thank you!
Yes, I do drink calories so that needs to go.
Yes, after years of being without diet drinks, I got back onto them this year! And crappy refined sugar cakes which I used to avoid like the plague! blush
I'll have to keep myself busy in the evenings. I could well need a fidget spinner to boot.

Cailleach Thu 14-Dec-17 12:25:52

No snacking, portion control (weigh and measure everything) no sugar in tea or coffee, switch to skimmed milk, get a Fitbit and walk a minimum of five miles a day, cut out all bread, pasta and rice as far as possible, learn how many calories are in what you eat and stick to a "budget" of 1200 a day.

Job done!

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 12:26:19

No DC but a very sweet toothed - and slim- DH. His treat cupboard used to be out of bounds to me, but for last year.....nope! I've claimed rights to it too! Ugh.

Copperkettles Thu 14-Dec-17 12:30:49

Do a Whole 30! They're amazing. The Whole 30 changed my life. All the info you need is online

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 12:34:35

@mumma
That's a great loss!! You've given me some hope!
@Cailleach
Good idea to replace my fitbit! It went wonky and I gave up on it. No doubt that has contributed to my taking eye off the ball too.
So....low sugar low carb high protein?

MrsHathaway Thu 14-Dec-17 12:39:14

If you don't have a history of eating disorders then My Fitness Pal could be very useful to you so long as you use it faithfully. Some things have surprising calories in. You can also use it to "save up" for parties etc so you indulge but only sensibly and don't blow a week's hard work on one plate. As pp points out, it's overall calorie deficit that leads to weight loss, so you can combine it with low carb (it gives you macro counts as well as calorie counts) or other plans.

If DH has a nice snack cupboard then could it be stocked with things only he likes?

An introduction to Whole 30, one of the top hits on Google.

MrsHathaway Thu 14-Dec-17 12:43:39

I find it helps to think of foods as doing jobs. Eggs give you protein AND energy; chips only give you energy; baked beans give you protein AND energy AND fibre AND vitamins etc. You're trying to pack as much nutrition as possible into fewer calories, so processed carbs are a waste of calories which could be doing another job. It's why not all calories are equal so 100cals of grilled chicken is better than 100cals of flapjack which is better than 100cals of chocolate buttercream straight out of the tub.

There's also science about sugar levels and how the body processes it but I Don't Understand Any Of That.

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 13:08:56

Over the years I'd got used to viewing food as fuel. If it pretty much empty fuelwise, I'd leave alone. My main concession was wine as that was a genuine hobby.
I began to lose that mindset a couple of years ago and this year it has completely gone out the window and headed for the hills as if the hounds of hell were after it.
Combined with an early menopause - which I'd just about managed to stay on top of until then- it's easy to see why I've gained.
What's not so easy is resetting my mindset. But it has to be done. And quickly!

VladmirsPoutine Thu 14-Dec-17 13:11:58

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

specialsubject Thu 14-Dec-17 13:25:55

Quick fixes never work, that's why sugar shake dieters end up fatter.

Follow all the common sense advice and be patient. No one will care on the holiday.

tectonicplates Thu 14-Dec-17 13:28:01

I agree that ditching liquid calories is a good start. Water only from now on, and buy some fancy herbal tea as a nice treat.

Also, just as a general social comment - obviously get started right away, but also, losing weight in January generally feels very positive because lots of people will be doing it, so lots of people will be in it together and will be supporting each other. smile

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 13:55:18

@VladimirsPoutine
Big sigh.....I'm 5 ft 2 and I'm hovering at 10st 12lbs. I usually kept my weight between 8 stone and 8 stone 7lbs. Once above that, I'd clamp down.
I'd bargained on baggy jumpers till Easter time !

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 14:03:06

@tectonicplates
Good point about January!
@Specialsubject
I know no one else will care- but I will! I know I'm not going to get all the weight off by then, but I need to make a determined effort to at least get somewhere on it and then use the holiday as an opportunity to carry on, but with a bit of sunshine! smile

kmc1111 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:10:10

Lots of veg. Cut down on sugar as much as you possibly can. Track your calories, and if you're average height or lower, stay around 1200-1500. No (or very minimal) booze.

Eat what you want on Christmas Day, but keep it to Christmas Day, don't let it become a week of feasting.

Closer to the date going ultra low carb and low salt will help shift some water weight fast, getting rid of any bloat.

As far as exercise, you have long enough that if you really stick to a diet as well you could get a bit toned if you do something like the 30 Day Shred, or better yet free weights at the gym. It won't work miracles but it'll make a difference.

Babymamaroon Thu 14-Dec-17 14:28:53

Something that has worked for me is fasting for as long as possible in the day (16:8).

By not eating breakfast it seems to not trigger my hunger, so I kind of forget about food.

Dinner is high fat and low carb generally.

It's worked a treat and I've dropped 2 dress sizes.

Also, if you can work out with weights that will change your shape.

Don't bother with scales.

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 14:50:54

@babymamaroon
2 dress sizes over what time period?

Just thinking ahead, other than Christmas, I have wedding anniversary next week and then birthday. Then it's New year.
The ' surprise' will be sprung on me New year's day ( I've seen the card!)
Champagne or wine will be involved those 4 days. I cant think of any excuse not to drink on those occasions that won't alert DH I've ruined his surprise.
Oh, and I have 5 Christmas Cakes coming my way as gifts!!
I need a plan to get through this without being too bluddy obvious! confused

tectonicplates Thu 14-Dec-17 15:15:10

On the days where you know you'll be eating/drinking a lot, prepare for that in advance by being very healthy beforehand, and the next day to mitigate it.

NoCanoe Thu 14-Dec-17 16:31:38

I hate bluddy surprises!!
And I've completely confuzzled myself by going onto Google.....!
The Sirt diet , anyone? 28 day juice? confused

FrankensteinsSister Thu 14-Dec-17 16:57:20

First of all, diet drinks won’t make you hungry!
You need to create a calorie deficit. This is achieved pretty nicely by upping protein for increased satiety and upping veg for low cal volume. You still need carbs or you’ll feel like crap, but maybe stick to a couple of servings of grains per day.

Read or listen to Lean Habits by Georgie Fear. It’s life changing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now