Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why Do People Buy Bottled Water ?

(373 Posts)
Unreasonablebagrage17 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:21:14

Every time I go to the supermarket I am shocked by the amount of bottled water people buy. Their trolleys are piled high.

I know peoples buying choices are their own but why don’t you drink water from the tap ?

The plastic recycling is criminal

Sorry for the rant

flumpybear Wed 13-Dec-17 23:23:30

We love carbonated water I'm afraid!

DimplesToadfoot Wed 13-Dec-17 23:24:11

I've had a letter from the water board, they are flushing all the pipes in my area, we can expect to have dirty brown looking cloudy water for a few days .. you think I want to drink it?

chiaseeddisapointmentagain Wed 13-Dec-17 23:25:10

biscuit

Pikachuwithyourmouthclosed Wed 13-Dec-17 23:25:27

I buy bottled water if we're going camping...

ZenNudist Wed 13-Dec-17 23:25:35

Love fizxy wTer. Also like the taste of cold bottled water

Sprinklestar Wed 13-Dec-17 23:26:34

DH is immunocompromised and can’t drink tap water.

Unreasonablebagrage17 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:29:22

Not talking about carbonated water just still water.
I have bought a bottle of water if I’m thirsty but I’m talking about filling your trolley with bottles of water.
I know it’s unreasonable but it gives me unreasonable rage

Kpo58 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:32:04

I can understand buying a bottle of water when out and about. The only other options of bottled drinks in the UK are either filled with sugar/sweeteners or are carbonated. It's hard to find something to quench your thirst that is genuinely healthy.

BrollyDolly Wed 13-Dec-17 23:32:42

This is me! For a good while now I will only drink water out of a bottle. Mainly because I put the crate in the fridge and like to drink it cold. I'm not a big tea or coffee drinker so it's mainly all I drink. Easy to take on the go either to work or in the car. Easy to have round the house, won't have cat drinking out of it.

When I ran out I found I drank much less from a glass!

Newtothismumthing1 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:33:25

Honestly probably because for some unbeknown reason I find myself more inclined to drink water from a bottle in the fridge than thinking of getting a glass and filling it up. So I guess shear laziness. Also some friends and family say they only drink bottled water and so I like to have it in the house.
Despite my habits I agree about the plastic waste and do mentally scold myself when looking at the amount of plastic recycling we have.

AnnieAnoniMouse Wed 13-Dec-17 23:39:38

I hate the taste of tap water here (SE, UK) & it’s ‘heavy’.

I like my water icy cold & no matter what filters, bottles etc that I use, tap water has an even more horrible taste when it’s been in the fridge (any fridge). The same with water that’s plumbed into a fridge.

I feel bad about the plastic, but until there’s a better solution, it is what it is.

Smitff Wed 13-Dec-17 23:42:02

Of all the criminality in the world, including the environmental sort, this really isn’t the one to get your knickers in a twist about.

ToadOfSadness Wed 13-Dec-17 23:42:32

If you have tap water that turns brown on the white drainer or surfaces you tend not to fancy drinking it.

Snowman41 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:45:25

I buy loads of water, but as long as my teens are drinking water instead of fizzy crap I'm good with my choice.

Parker231 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:47:46

We love Pellagrino water and buy loads each week. There are a lot of things I would give up but my water isn’t one of them.

Floralnomad Wed 13-Dec-17 23:48:12

We buy bottled water mainly for when out / packed lunches etc , indoors we have filtered tap water , none of us drink water straight from the tap .

RestingGrinchFace Wed 13-Dec-17 23:48:25

Tap water is pretty gross when you think about it. Our local reservoir was built by destroying flooding a very pretty little valley including two churches-with grave yards fenvy

SilverySurfer Wed 13-Dec-17 23:51:48

I don't drink hot drinks like tea or coffee, only water and dislike tap water. I also prefer it carbonated.

HeddaGarbled Wed 13-Dec-17 23:54:33

Where on earth do you shop? I don't think I've ever seen a single person with a trolley piled high with bottled water but you are seeing all these people every time you shop? Really?

I do understand your feelings about this issue. I used to buy bottled water and put it in the fridge because I like my water cold and it's handy to take a bottle to work, put a bottle in the car etc. And I would wash out the bottles and refill with tap water and put back in the fridge to chill until I read that the plastic degenerates over time, so this isn't safe.

With all the recent publicity about the environmental effects of single use plastic bottles, I have now bought several refillable water bottles which I fill with tap water and keep in the fridge. It isn't as convenient as buying individual bottles and it takes pre-planning and I have to wash the bottles frequently because of bacterial contamination which is not a problem with single use bottles.

However, I still think you are exaggerating about these people with their trolleys filled with bottled water.

overnightangel Wed 13-Dec-17 23:56:43

I work away 2/3 days a week in an area where the tap water is minging. Gives me the runs. So for 48 hours or so I’m in an area where if I drink the tap water il be ill. Not a big tea and coffee drinker and always been one to take on plenty of fluids.
Any bottles I don’t re use are recycled.
So would say you’re being a bit silly. Unless you know people’s circumstances don’t be judgemental

Leeds2 Thu 14-Dec-17 00:00:18

I understand wanting to drink cold water straight from the fridge, so I fill up a plastic water bottle with water from the tap and keep it in the fridge. I actually have three on the go at once! I don't mind the taste of it though. Would perhaps be different if I didn't!

TooSarcastic Thu 14-Dec-17 00:01:50

Would rather see that than crates of Monster/Relentless etc

EasterRobin Thu 14-Dec-17 00:07:33

I drive for 2 hours or more a day so I keep a multipack of bottled water in the car to drink while I'm in the car (and it's also there as a back-up in case I get stuck anywhere).

LollaLaLuna Thu 14-Dec-17 00:20:48

We tend to buy bottled water occasionally, mostly for kids, they seems to like it more then tap one and personally I don't like it either it taste weird to me sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now