Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can anyone answer a menopause question for me please?

(9 Posts)
MrsWicket Wed 13-Dec-17 22:23:53

With my (poor) understanding of all things menopausal, I thought periods got more irregular? My periods are usually very regular - every 28 days or so but they seem to be every 21 days or so for the last few times. I’m 50 - does this mean I’ve started the menopause? Thanks MW

Goddamitt Wed 13-Dec-17 22:28:16

Your cycle does get shorter when you head towards the menopause. Mine were erratic pre-children. Then they went to every 35ish days. They’ve shortened to an average of 26 in the last year. I’m almost 45 and have hot/cold flushes and raging PMT these days too.

Bloodybridget Wed 13-Dec-17 22:29:07

I think it's quite common for periods to get more frequent in perimenopause. I remember mine became a lot heavier, they'd never really been heavy before that. Have you Googled?

Bluntness100 Wed 13-Dec-17 22:29:12

I think you are probably peri menopausal, meno pause is exactly what it says. Menstruation stops. It’s done. Peri menopausal is the start of rhe process, so likely you’re going through that. You can speak to your gp and he or she can run some tests to check.

This is the phase that can last for years until meno pause.

MrsWicket Wed 13-Dec-17 22:53:25

Thanks for the replies ladies. They have become heavier, Bloody. So looking likely then - what fun hmm I’ve also started to suffer from constipation even though I drink loads - not sure if that’s peri-menopausal or I need to eat more fibre wink

Bloodybridget Wed 13-Dec-17 22:58:38

Well, you know, not all women have a horrible time going through menopause. All I remember was having some hot flushes that weren't even that hot - warm flushes, you could say! So I hope you'll be lucky too.

Goddamitt Wed 13-Dec-17 22:59:23

Mine have also become much heavier and clotty (tmi sorry) I was told soya could help with symptoms so I switched and it seems to have helped a bit.

AngelOfMusic Wed 13-Dec-17 23:03:24

I'm 25 and have early menopause (diagnosed 3 years ago so I was 22) all I had were hot flushes and one very light period and nothing after that. I went to the GP who performed a blood test where they discovered my hormone imbalance due to the menopause and that was that.

You could always ask for a blood test, that would give you an indication whether you're menopausal.

lovestea Wed 13-Dec-17 23:09:07

I think everything changes in menopause. Periods can get longer, shorter, more heavy or less heavy. It is all normal.
Constipation is horrible. Honestly, try prunes or a senna tablet at night. You are already drinking more water - a good thing. More fibre also.
Good luck, it's wretched but it pass.
Another thing that helped was black kohosh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now