Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

May I have a quick opinion please?

(23 Posts)
Tipsntoes Wed 13-Dec-17 22:02:04

I have been in my job c 6 months and have 21 line reports.

I don't know what usually happens at Christmas but it feels like the kind of place where a small gift would be bought by managers for the staff they manage, although most don't have such a large team.

Anyway, a proper thoughtful individual gift is out of the question in terms of both time and money, so I was thinking of a very small token.

I'm concerned though that it would be better to do nothing than something that makes people feel "is that it?"

I'm thinking along the lines of a "fun" selection box, but I'd love any better ideas.

WWYD?

letitsnowsnowsnow Wed 13-Dec-17 22:07:25

wow! thats a lot of people to buy for. I was going to suggest a selection of breakfast pastries......but even that will work out expensive for 21 people. How much were you thinking of spending? if you have a night out you could contribute to the bar bill, but I'm thinking you are thinking £10 not £50. are you any good at baking? Make and decorate some christmas cookies...or just make a couple of cakes and decorate them with edible christmas decorations.

ferriswheel Wed 13-Dec-17 22:11:00

I think you shouldn't do it. They're paid to work. So are you. A box of chocs by the kettle or such like but I think it's not your job to do that. Very nice but some mince pies or something is more than enough.

NC4now Wed 13-Dec-17 22:12:42

Bring in food. A box of chocs each, or Krispy Kremes for the department.

anotherchange111 Wed 13-Dec-17 22:17:20

'It's not your job to do that'

Completely disagree. You should absolutely do something - part and parcel of being a manager, to show thanks to your team for all of their hard work over the year

Do you have a team meeting between now and xmas? If so I would make it a fun meeting with food and drink, and depending on the culture of the organisation and yours and their seniority maybe games/a quiz/something. Mince pies/pastries/cakes/pizza/whatever and coffee/mulled wine.

It's too many presents to buy but definitely do something. And write a card to each one.

HandbagCrazy Wed 13-Dec-17 22:17:54

Something a manager did for me and the rest of the team (which I have since stolen) was to do a tea / coffee run and supply biscuits / cakes.
Was always nice to see someone 'higher' making the tea, and food it always appreciated.

anotherchange111 Wed 13-Dec-17 22:18:32

And I think it's important to do something and be together - not just chucking the mince pies by the kettle. That is shit leadership

anotherchange111 Wed 13-Dec-17 22:19:14

As a side note - 21 reports?! Way too many

Wisteriastreet Wed 13-Dec-17 22:19:30

Defo defo do something. Perfume shops will often do you a great deal on bulk orders and they’re easy to wrap too.

RedPandaMama Wed 13-Dec-17 22:19:41

Surely they'll understand with there being so many of them that a high value gift is out of the question! I'd do a nice handwritten card each, a few boxes of chocolates/biscuits to share and maybe say first round on you at the staff do or at the pub. X

isthistoonosy Wed 13-Dec-17 22:20:04

Scratch card inside a nice Xmas card 🎅 🤶

anotherchange111 Wed 13-Dec-17 22:22:32

My boss hands out the secret Santa presents. She puts on the Santa beard and gets lunch in for her reports and admin team (she's v senior and on £kkk)

Sludgecolours Wed 13-Dec-17 22:24:15

That's a lovely idea Handbagcrazy!

I was going to suggest making Nigella's cranberry and orange muffins. They are delicious and easy to make! Set up early in the morning as everyone arrives with good quality tea and coffee available?

LeeRorr Wed 13-Dec-17 22:27:52

I still find it very odd people expecting their boss/manager to buy them presents at Christmas - Our boss does (well his wife picks them) but there are only 8 of us, but I still think he shouldn't feel he needs to. I'd be happy with a box of chocolates in the staff room. My other places of employment did Secret Santa which included the manager.

MrsAHotch Wed 13-Dec-17 22:29:04

I have a very new manager who has opted to buy us all a bacon/sausage/whatever breakfast contents sandwich on our last day in before the holidays. Everyone loved the idea. I was almost a tad disappointed when I realised I’d already booked the day off grin

Wisteriastreet Wed 13-Dec-17 22:30:01

Depends on the industry I guess but if you’re managing a team where you also have to lead and motivate rather than crowd control, not making a gesture at Christmas/weddings/birthdays can cost you dear.

NC4now Wed 13-Dec-17 22:32:04

At my old company, the M.D. put on a pinny and a Santa hat and served Christmas dinner in the canteen on staff Christmas dinner day.

BackforGood Wed 13-Dec-17 22:32:26

Another vote for a box of nice chocs in the staff room / by the kettle.
I wouldn't expect my manager to buy 21 gifts. That would probably take away the small amount extra she gets paid more than the rest of us!

NotEnoughCushions Wed 13-Dec-17 22:43:51

My boss once did a team awards ceremony. We had cakes, tea and a glass of fizz. She made a speech thanking everyone for their hard work and successes through the year and then presented lots of certificates in a number of categories but all very inclusive and positive. There was a handwritten card for everyone thanking them for specific things over the year.

One year we all got a 'duvet day' voucher to be cashed in through the year. That was appreciated.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 13-Dec-17 23:10:11

If you're not having a meal out or anything, I'd at least buy some sweets and stuff.

cakesonatrain Wed 13-Dec-17 23:21:14

We get a bacon butty on the morning of the Christmas meal, and drinks at the Christmas meal, but this is between the handful of senior managers for about 10 of us. A gift would be odd.
I would ask around what the done thing is.

eastlondoner Wed 13-Dec-17 23:33:16

Maybe buy lots of mince pies or treats for everyone to share? Just an impromptu treat. It will cost less but look more generous than a selection box each.

KeepServingTheDrinks Thu 14-Dec-17 00:01:49

I think a card with something personal written in each would be lovely. No one's going to expect you to get 21 different presents. 21 different cards is a quite a big time commitment and if you can say 21 different things (I love it how you're always smiling/you're the snazziest dresser in the team etc) I think it would be appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now