Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Erm..... so when a hamster dies......

(72 Posts)
BackforGood Wed 13-Dec-17 21:17:48

How should I dispose of the body?

We've never had pets, but ds bought a hamster at University, but is now living at home...... she's getting on a bit now, you can just tell to look at her. He's going to be devastated when she goes, but I genuinely don't know what I am supposed to do with the body blush

I think I missed this lesson in the parenting manual but I know he'll expect me to know sad

hannamai Wed 13-Dec-17 21:19:12

Do you have a garden that the hamster could be buried in? Maybe plant a flower on top in the spring

guineapig1 Wed 13-Dec-17 21:19:23

Do you have a garden? Small deceased pets get a buriel here!

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Dec-17 21:19:56

Have you got a garden? We used to bury our dead hamsters deep in flower beds in cardboard box coffins.

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Dec-17 21:20:29

X post!!!!

I think vets will cremate pets for you too.

RedPandaMama Wed 13-Dec-17 21:20:35

We buried mine in the garden and planted a bush on top of her. I like to think she's grown into something else - cheesy I know but my hamster came through uni with me too and I had a really hard time so I loved her to bits.

expatinscotland Wed 13-Dec-17 21:22:11

We have no garden, but we live on open water so our hamsters have a sea burial.

newtlover Wed 13-Dec-17 21:22:37

stop, wait! Has no one mentioned the Lazarus hamster yet?
Before you bury the poor thing (as described by PP), put it in a non airtight box in a warm room....you may be surprised.

SingaSong12 Wed 13-Dec-17 21:24:28

Is DS an adult? Discuss with them what they wamt to do - maybe bury?

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 13-Dec-17 21:27:42

I’m guessing the DS IS an adult considering he bought the hamster when he was at university grin

Agree with everyone else, bury it in the garden but if you don’t have a garden, vets do provide a cremation service.

BackforGood Wed 13-Dec-17 21:53:18

well.... you say adult grin

He's 21, so technically yes.

Thank you. Yes, we do have a garden. I didn't know if it was 'allowed'. Am also a bit worried about a fox digging it up ?

GrooovyLass Wed 13-Dec-17 21:55:42

Back garden. I have lived in my house since I was a small child. One day, when I've moved out, someone will dig the garden over and find the skeletons of (so far) 3 rabbits, 6 hamsters and 6 guinea pigs...

3luckystars Wed 13-Dec-17 21:58:37

I thought the hamster had been to university and was thinking it really was old.

MaidOfStars Wed 13-Dec-17 22:00:05

Hamster 1: hole in back garden, covered in handful of his food, sunflowers grew, I ate the seeds #circleoflife #weirdstudent

Hamster 2: vet disposed, possibly in same fashion.

3luckystars Wed 13-Dec-17 22:02:31

Or you could fill a wheelie bin up with cement and put it in there and hide it in a shed.

WatchingFromTheWings Wed 13-Dec-17 22:04:10

@3luckystars 🤣🤣🤣🤣

TheFairyCaravan Wed 13-Dec-17 22:06:55

We bury ours in the garden. There’s 5 under the apple tree so far.

Creambun2 Wed 13-Dec-17 22:07:18

Down the loo if the current aibu thread is to be believed.

PersianCatLady Wed 13-Dec-17 22:07:49

My Dad used to out my pets into shoe boxes (for rabbits) and bury them in the garden.

Putting a big rock or paving slab on top stops them getting dug up.

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Wed 13-Dec-17 22:08:35

Bury it and put a rock over the top to deter foxes. That’s what we did with out uni hamster. Bless his little heart he was old for a hammy.

WorraLiberty Wed 13-Dec-17 22:09:08

Yes, dig very deep OP.

Our old hamster got dug up by a fox or something about 2 weeks after we buried him.

WorraLiberty Wed 13-Dec-17 22:09:35

Ohh good advice about the rock/paving slab!

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Wed 13-Dec-17 22:09:52

He was cheeky too. There were four of us living there and each of us thought the others weren’t feeding him because he played up so much whever one of us went in the kitchen. Took us ages to work out he was playing us all.

GypsieQueen Wed 13-Dec-17 22:14:07

It's possible that the hamster might be hibernating, so please don't bury him without checking this first.If he is hibernating, increasing the temperature in the room should wake him up.

QueenOfCatan Wed 13-Dec-17 22:14:22

Deep in the garden if you're going that route!
We get our rats cremated, I think it costs around £30 a time though it's significantly more if you want them done separately and they will offer ashes but realistically you won't get much of a small furry back so we've never done that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now