Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can anyone else not be arsed with Christmas day?

(17 Posts)
BornAgainFem Wed 13-Dec-17 20:55:26

DH will go to his parents and I'll go to DM's with DD (4months) , then DM, DD and I will go to DH's parents for dinner.
I know I'm probably being a scrooge but I can't be bothered. I'd much rather it was DH and I, or DM and I. Having to deal with DH's family dynamic is so stressful! I want to just lock myself in and turn my phone off.
Is anyone else not looking forward to it or am I a lonesome scrooge?

lastqueenofscotland Wed 13-Dec-17 20:57:35

We literally just have it with me, my DM my DSIS ands local lady in her early twenties who has sadly lost both parents.

It's lovely, proper slummy, no one gets dressed we have a half assed but delicious Christmas dinner and everyone is slightly tipsy from about 10:30 am

rcit Wed 13-Dec-17 20:58:40

Next year why don't you tell all the extended family that you, DH and DD will just be spending christmas at your own home alone.

julessussex Wed 13-Dec-17 20:59:26

This sums up how I feel about the whole thing ...

myfamilyhomeblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/how-to-survive-christmas/

Yambabe Wed 13-Dec-17 21:13:10

Opting out completely this year.

Tired of the arguments about who goes where, who gets to see the GC open their presents, who gets invited to dinner etc.

So this year DH and I are flying to Germany on the 22nd and staying til 28th. Christmas dinner is booked at the Hard Rock Cafe cos it's the only place open I think! We're going to explore on foot and public transport, indulge in food someone else has prepared all week, use the hotel indoor pool frequently, take a well-stocked Kindle each and just chill out.

DS (30s, still lives here) is working so will petsit for us and have a couple of mates round. When we get back my siblings will get together for a big family meal. All the squabbling on DH's side of the family (2 DC, both have children with exes as well as current partners, several sets of competing GP over who gets to see them most) will be sorted and we can have a day with each to spend some quality time with the GC.

Then for once we have arranged to go Out out on NYE so will be celebrating seeing the back of what has been a pretty shit year for us with live music and good friends.

It's going to be bliss! grin

Balfe Wed 13-Dec-17 21:13:59

With a 4 month old you are totally entitled to doing feck all.

MissBax Wed 13-Dec-17 21:15:15

rcit - I wish we could do that. MIL would have a breakdown and although I'd be willing to deal with that, DH wouldn't hmm

lastqueenofscotland - that sounds lovely - before I met DH, DM and I used to go for a walk and a curry every year just the two of us. I really miss that.

julessussex - Perfect summing up! grin

BornAgainFem Wed 13-Dec-17 21:18:28

Oooops namechange fail... Oh well...

Yambabe - that sounds incredible! Enjoy your getaway and here's to a better 2018 wine

Balfe - perhaps too late to cancel now?

Helpmeltb Wed 13-Dec-17 21:27:56

Me. All alone this year - dc are with exh (he was a twat about Xmas last year and refused to see them Xmas day so says this year it's his turn angry). Can't be arsed cooking just for me. Will be waiting for boxing day to open presents with kids.

BoldMcCoo Wed 13-Dec-17 22:27:27

Honestly, a newborn means you can say "I'm sorry but it's a bit too much for us this year so we're going to have a quiet one just visiting my mum, thanks though"

MadisonAvenue Wed 13-Dec-17 23:44:42

We're having a change from what had become our usual Christmas Day this year. One year I invited my parents for dinner and they just assumed that from that year on they came to us and it's been at least 10 years. They're in their 80s and, although fit and well for their ages, they're very stuck in their ways (and always have been so age isn't the reason) and Christmas Day is like Groundhog Day. Every year it's the same polite, safe chat and the same questions asked, and honestly I can't do it again this year. Plus my husband can't have a drink as he has to collect them and take them home again (I don't drive). Every year I get to the point where I can't be arsed and just want it over and then never really enjoy the day itself.

I've said that this year it's just going to be the four of us, five counting the dog, and for a change I'm actually looking forward to it.

gillybeanz Wed 13-Dec-17 23:49:46

As soon as we had kids we decided to spend xmas day as a family, our own that certainly didn't include other family members.
We saw my parents and dh either xmas eve or boxing day.
It's so much easier.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 14-Dec-17 10:09:00

We're off to son-out-law's family, where I can avoid all the bollocks with SIL. Then it's MIL's birthday for which I'm doing Chinese buffet. Chuck it in the oven, chuck it on the table, chuck em all out at 6.

cjt110 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:45:52

We used to have thw whole issue over traipsing around. Til we made a rule that Dh and I (and later on DS) had Xmas day at home. My parents come here boxing day and we go to his parents at new year. Its still a pain but there's no room for arguing

TonicAndTonic Thu 14-Dec-17 10:53:50

Barring any early arrivals I'm going to be 36 weeks pregnant with DC1, so I'm not really feeling the festive spirit!

PILs tried to get us to go and stay at theirs in the middle of nowhere, MIL said to me 'at least then you won't have to cook'. I told her that I had zero intention of cooking xmas dinner anyway whilst that pregnant! It took a bit of flat refusal negotiating, but PILs are now coming to us, bringing the christmas dinner with them and cooking it while I lie on the sofa and DP makes sure everyone has a drink. grin

I do have to have the PILs staying and be sober though... confused

BornAgainFem Thu 14-Dec-17 18:19:19

Chuck it in the oven, chuck it on the table, chuck em all out at 6

Ha! Brilliant!

ForalltheSaints Thu 14-Dec-17 18:36:23

I may be celebrating it with family, but no-one should be forced to, it should be a choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now