Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Oh god I just forgot my child!

(16 Posts)
soupforbrains Wed 13-Dec-17 19:39:21

I just forgot where my child was to the extent that having got stuck in a meeting and got out of work late I then proceeded to my parents house to collect DS but was instead greeted with a surprised "Hello Soup! Where is DS?" shockconfused

I stared at them blankly in confusion for a good half a minute before muttering, "Today is Wednesday..." hmm

Then I had to hotfoot it to the other side of the village to the childminder to fetch DS.

Obviously I apologised profusely to our lovely lovely childminder for a) being so very late and b) not letting her know I was going to be so late.

I feel like such an utter moron/terrible parent confusedsad

Please tell me I'm not the only person to do this sort of thing?! Please....

allegretto Wed 13-Dec-17 19:41:14

You didn't forget your child though just the location of child so don't feel bad!

cafeaulaitpourvous Wed 13-Dec-17 19:42:07

Don't beat yourself up!

I am a cm and I have had parents forget children or have turned up when child isn't here.

When children are picked up late a bunch of flowers and a big apology alway helps...wink

soupforbrains Wed 13-Dec-17 19:46:23

Café i didn't have a chance to get flowers in my dash across the village but I did apologise a LOT and will pop an extra bottle wine in the CM's Christmas gift too.

BertieBotts Wed 13-Dec-17 19:48:14

Ah never mind, at least he was safe and not abandoned somewhere! smile I'm sure CM would have phoned you if she was really worried.

gobbin Wed 13-Dec-17 20:17:33

I did that once when DS went home with a friend on a pre-arranged tea time playdate. Went to the wrong friend’s house to pick him up - they were very bemused and had a good laugh as they had four kids to keep an eye on and I only had the one! Took me a while to recall which friend’s house he’d actually gone to 😂

cafeaulaitpourvous Thu 14-Dec-17 08:18:09

@soupforbrains sounds perfect !

TBH if I was your cm I would chalk it up as a funny incident - we all make mistakes. We are all human.
I always say to new clients to drive slower and safer and be a bit late than drive fast to get to me on time and put themselves in danger.

Xxx

soupforbrains Thu 14-Dec-17 09:07:11

Thanks cafe our cm is the most lovely of ladies and she's looked after DS since he was 6 months old. She was very nice when i got there and said it's was fine and that it was nice to get some time with just DS these days as next year he'll be off to secondary school and she won't see him anymore.

I'm feeling much better about it all now and ca see it is just 'one of those things' it was just last night i felt like a guilty idiot.

smurfy2015 Thu 14-Dec-17 09:22:12

Glad it all turned out well, dont worry you arent the only one who has ever forgot your child

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18391663

David Cameron forgot his then 8 year old daughter and left her in a pub in Buckinghamshire in 2012 and he was in charge of running the country at the time fconfused

soupforbrains Thu 14-Dec-17 12:45:42

Haha yes smurfy that's infinitely worse.

Onlyoldontheoutside Thu 14-Dec-17 12:59:48

It's a long time ago but my mum apparently came home after shopping and had a cup of tea before realising something was missing.Those were the days when a pram left outside a shop would attract nothing more sinister than a group of women making a fuss if a baby.

TheSecondMrsAshwell Thu 14-Dec-17 13:04:42

My DGM left my DM outside the butchers once - got her shopping, walked straight past the pram and went home. She was pottering about and thought she'd "get on with X until the baby wakes up for her feed and.... then.... Omigod, where's the baby?"

Dashed back to the shops, the butcher's wife was keeping my DM amused till my DGM came back.

I mean, that was during the war and there other things to worry about, but still, it's pretty special.

frostyfingers Thu 14-Dec-17 13:19:17

I used to share a school run with a family who had quite a few children. One afternoon he arrived at mine with one of his missing, and when I asked ”where’s .... ? he went pale and realised that he’d left one of his behind. He didn’t live that down for quite a while - the child in question was a little vague and hadn’t even realised that his dad had been and collected his siblings and not him!

Callmecordelia Thu 14-Dec-17 14:00:13

There are five years between my DC, and one afternoon the baby napped at a time that was unusual. DD was at a club at school, so I made myself a tea, read a magazine and there was just peace and quiet. I was really enjoying myself, until I got a call from the school. I had forgotten to look at the clock and go and pick up DD. Dashed to get her, where the office staff had a really good laugh at my expense! blush

haya130 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:12:57

My Dad has never been able to live this down, he only had to collect me from school (primary) once and he forgot!!
I was about 5 or 6 and then teachers didn't watch for who had been picked up like they do now, and I waited until all my friends had gone and then walked to my grandparents house and knocked on their door!!

My mum went ballistic and dad's never been allowed to forget it!

I have gone to the wrong place to pick up our DD on several occasions - don't worry he was safe [smile}

Zubrowka Thu 14-Dec-17 15:16:08

My mum is a CM and this happens more often than you'd think. Quite often one parent thinks the other one is picking the child up, and vice versa. It's funny, don't worry about it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now