Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Having a challenging child to play

(11 Posts)
RoganJosh Wed 13-Dec-17 19:32:53

DS has a friend who has ADHD and is a bit of a handful. I want to have him over but also want to make sure they have fun but limit damage to things/my other children.

Any ideas of how to keep them amused? I think I need an activity. They’re both 10. Friend is quite cool.

I can’t even let them out in the garden as we currently have a pond and DS says if I point this out then the friend will be in it.

MrsZB Wed 13-Dec-17 19:36:18

Decorating pizza? All kids seem to enjoy that.

MrsZB Wed 13-Dec-17 19:36:33

Take them to the park?

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 13-Dec-17 19:37:41

Take them to a trampoline park if you can afford it.

RoganJosh Wed 13-Dec-17 21:00:07

Thank you. I may well try and do a mixture of park and then home to decorate pizzas. Trampoline place doesn’t really work with my other children but otherwise would be a great idea. If a bit nerve racking maybe!

TheCrossKeys Wed 13-Dec-17 21:29:24

I was going to suggest park but it's already been done. I'd ask his mum/dad if they have any advice that might be helpful, such as things to avoid or quick tricks to help calm him if he starts getting out of control. Thinking of my own DS, heavy work helps to 'reset' him such as pushing/pulling (the hoover is great for this), getting the Playdoh or the silly putty out for him to knead, or trying to beat his own record at pushups. Five minutes of heavy work is usually enough to regulate him for a little while.

TheCrossKeys Wed 13-Dec-17 21:33:05

Can I just say too how nice you are to invite this boy round to play. I get that he can be full on and you'll probably be thankful for blessed silence when he's gone but I bet it will mean a lot to him to have been invited. DS never gets invited anywhere, ever. He hasn't had a party invite in over a year, has never been asked to someone's house to play, and most of the kids in his class have started to actively avoid him as they get older and the behavioural gap between them widens.

paxillin Wed 13-Dec-17 21:36:54

Ask the parent what to do when it all gets too much. In a similar situation, I was told by the mum to tip the Lego on the floor and leave him for a bit if he gets wound up. Worked a treat.

MomToWedThorFriday Wed 13-Dec-17 21:38:33

What TheCrossKeys said. DS is only 6 and never gets party invites/invited to houses and people have avoided when I’ve invited them/their DC. He has ASD and it upsets me (doesn’t bother him mind!). Thank you so much for being kind.

littlemisscomper Wed 13-Dec-17 21:41:21

How about a homemade obstacle course? Or an indoor disco, with flashing fairy lights, glow sticks, the lights off, curtains drawn and the cheesy music turned up high.

RoganJosh Wed 13-Dec-17 22:10:41

These are great, I’ll plan some to use and some to keep up my sleeve!
I do feel really sorry for him. He’s really lovely but just so impulsive. I really want him to have a good time. And not do anything terrible, so that we can have him over more.

It’s really interesting and helpful to think about little diversions to change the mood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now