Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do all the mugs in your house match?

(98 Posts)
twinkledag Wed 13-Dec-17 18:39:21

When I was younger I always envisaged having matching mugs/cups for tea when I grew up (I had a sheltered childhood!). I’m now 38 and a grown up, I suppose. So should I chuck out all my mismatching crockery and buy a lovely set of matching cups?

PeaceLoveAndDixie Wed 13-Dec-17 18:40:11

It depends how nice all your mismatched ones are!

Lostflipflop Wed 13-Dec-17 18:41:53

I used to, but then I realised there was more to life than having matching mugs.

Mine are all different and have been collected over the years from various places we have visited. I think it helps provide a talking point when people come over.

MrsBadger Wed 13-Dec-17 18:43:20

Yes, but I have a box of all the mismatched ones in the utility room for using when gardening / painting / having a street party.

megletthesecond Wed 13-Dec-17 18:45:19

No. That would be weird and anal.

DancingHouse Wed 13-Dec-17 18:45:33

No, none of the crockery matches in the slightest.

AvoidingDM Wed 13-Dec-17 18:45:36

I have 2 sets, and a bunch of miss matched ones.

Tidypidy Wed 13-Dec-17 18:48:14

You need different cups for when you fancy a large cup of tea, a small latte, a lemsip, a big hot chocolate etc. None of mine match!

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Dec-17 18:49:30

Some mugs match but most don't. If they're all the same you don't know whose it is when doing a refill.
Other crockery is plain white so breakages can be replaced cheaply.

Scabbersley Wed 13-Dec-17 18:49:56

Lol.

No.

HuskyMcClusky Wed 13-Dec-17 18:50:25

Umm. Yes. blush

Parsleyisntfood Wed 13-Dec-17 18:53:37

When I was growing up all the cups matched and were switched completely every couple of years. I actively avoid matching cups now but whenever my mum changes hers she brings the 8 old ones to me “so I have a matching set”. I only use them when she’s here. Tiny teeny rebellion.

Whinesalot Wed 13-Dec-17 18:55:52

I have a nice set of matching mugs and then a motley collection of "character" mugs and tons of the ones that come with the easter eggs Trying to reduce those by stealth.

Changebagsandgladrags Wed 13-Dec-17 18:57:59

I have matching set of 6 mugs that say 'I love Kiddiecare'. They came free with a pram. 8 years ago blush

honeysucklejasmine Wed 13-Dec-17 18:59:04

They are all from Whitards of Chelsea, but two different patterns. All my crockery is Whitards, it's my favourite. Don't buy tea or coffee from them though! Because who doesn't want rainbow coloured stars?! I hear Nigella was pushing stars this week so clearly I am vair stylish and sofis.

cosmonautkitten Wed 13-Dec-17 19:01:56

They don't all match (although do have 5 of the same design), but they're all the same shape from the same company, so they're cohesive. I've never wanted them all to match - that's reserved for plates imo!

Medicaltextbook Wed 13-Dec-17 19:01:58

No - some I have a pair, a few are holiday souvenirs or presents and a couple are special as they are from a couple of people that have since died.

nothanksbyenow Wed 13-Dec-17 19:02:08

I used to always have a matching set but now I like to buy mugs 2 at a time- so a few ‘couples’ that look similar but not matching.
I like to overthink my kitchen stuff fblush

honeysucklejasmine Wed 13-Dec-17 19:02:27

My plates are blue stars or green with stripes, side plates are red or green stars, bowls are blue or red stars (pasta bowls) or green or orange and multicoloured stars (cereal bowls). Mugs are either green geometric (match the stripey plates) or orange and multicoloured stars.

My husband says I am a child. 😂

crackerjacket Wed 13-Dec-17 19:03:02

Of course not.

I'm normal.

Allthecake Wed 13-Dec-17 19:04:44

We have about 3 matching sets then odd gift ones. Agree you need different sizes for different needs (DGran always insists on an espresso cup for normal coffee, DMIL and DFIL need barrel-sized mugs) and yep it helps with refilling too. Love buying new mugs though saddo

DustyMaiden Wed 13-Dec-17 19:05:18

All the ones I ever purchased do, there are a few from Easter Eggs or gifts hiding.

I am weird, OCD, it makes me happy.

HuskyMcClusky Wed 13-Dec-17 19:06:27

They don't all match (although do have 5 of the same design), but they're all the same shape from the same company, so they're cohesive.

Oh yeah, that’s mine too, actually. Not matching as in identical!

Feel more normal now.

CaptainHammer Wed 13-Dec-17 19:06:59

None of mine match

DotDashBeep Wed 13-Dec-17 19:07:14

None match. We've got cats, birds, owls, unicorns, t-Rex, donuts, seaside scene and a sweary grammar mug. Have to hide that one when the ladies group come over grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now