Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Need a chocolate sponge recipe for a birthday cake

(11 Posts)
hudyerwheesht Wed 13-Dec-17 17:51:52

Apologies - I know this has been done before but Google not coming up with anything well-rated.

I need to make a birthday cake which is to be chocolate sponge and will be covered with buttercream, followed by a chocolate ganache drip with various chocolate stuff(mini bars of chocolate,etc) piled on top.
So, I'm looking for a decent chocolate sponge recipe that will be firm enough to take all that but without being too heavy.

Does such a thing exist? Anyone got any recommendations?

It needs to serve 7 people so average sized but quite tall, I guess in order to do the drip effect.

Chocolatear Wed 13-Dec-17 17:55:23

Jamie Oliver's party cake always works well for me. I don't put the nuts in the sponge mix. It always rises well. I'll find a link.

Chocolatear Wed 13-Dec-17 17:57:38

This one without the oranges. The topping is good as well.

AdmiralJaneway Wed 13-Dec-17 18:34:00

I like Mary Berry’s all one one recipe.

TittyGolightly Wed 13-Dec-17 18:38:43

Nigella’s chocolate fudge cake.

hudyerwheesht Wed 13-Dec-17 19:57:09

Thanks all - will look I no those.

I see a quite a few recommendations for Nigella's recipe - would that be too soft to take everything on top?

The picture is an example of what I'll be doing so it's got to be sturdy but also taste good.

TittyGolightly Wed 13-Dec-17 19:57:58

Nope. I made a 5 tier version of the chocolate fudge cake for a wedding.

hudyerwheesht Wed 13-Dec-17 19:58:21

Thanks all - will look I no those.

I see a quite a few recommendations for Nigella's recipe - would that be too soft to take everything on top?

The picture is an example of what I'll be doing so it's got to be sturdy but also taste good.

hudyerwheesht Wed 13-Dec-17 19:59:50

Ah ok, so when you get the "post failed - try again?" thats apparently not true. hmm

WhenDoISleep Wed 13-Dec-17 20:11:46

I like this one.

queenofthemountains Wed 13-Dec-17 20:17:19

I second Nigellas chocolate fudge cake, it is delicious and stacks really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now