Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Book recommendations for non-native speakers

(6 Posts)
AwakeCantSleep Wed 13-Dec-17 17:25:15

I would really appreciate some help with this. I've been tasked with buying books as Christmas presents for my (German) cousin's children. Both children are learning English at school, and the books should be in English.

Girl: 14 years old, has been learning English for four years. She is really into fashion and makeup, is sporty and a real "social animal".
Boy: 10 years old, and it's his first year learning English. He is into Star Wars, football, and playing the drums.

The books should be age appropriate, but also the language can't be too difficult, obviously. I'm worried that most books aimed at children and teenagers may be too challenging in the vocabulary. Any ideas??!?

Oh and some magazines would be nice for them too, if anyone has a recommendation. Many thanks.

bearhug Wed 13-Dec-17 18:17:40

For the 10 year old, books like Diary of a Whimpy Kid would be good. Lots of pictures will make these easier to understand. I am reliably informed that small boys love the humour...

Sludgecolours Wed 13-Dec-17 18:29:53

I always recommend David Attenborough DVDs in these circumstances. The Blue Planet II would be ideal if it has been published yet. Obviously, there are the spectacular visual clues +audio commentary and Attenborough's scripts are excellent; you couldn't get better English, spare and clear.

Sludgecolours Wed 13-Dec-17 18:30:22

And easy to post!

AwakeCantSleep Wed 13-Dec-17 19:12:43

Thanks all. I'll check out the suggestions. I'm a big fan of Blue Planet myself etc but I've been specifically asked to bring books. Sigh. They are someone else's presents too; the lovely relative has simply outsourced the choosing, buying and transportation to me....

AwakeCantSleep Wed 13-Dec-17 20:06:14

Has anyone heard of the treehouse books? I'm thinking this may be something for the 10 year-old:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/13-Storey-Treehouse-Books/dp/1447279786/ref=sr11_22?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1513195248&sr=1-22

(I'd like something that he has a chance of being able to read by himself.)

Still no idea for the girl....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now