Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you tip the postman?

(19 Posts)
gingeranium Wed 13-Dec-17 17:02:22

Do we just stick an envelope on the door labelled ‘postie’? I don’t know his name!

I’ve never done it before - this is the first house we’ve had a regular guy that I’ve gotten to know. He was really poorly October - January last year and I really missed him! Our house is a bugger to get to, and he does it without complaint, with a cheery smile every day.

I just want to say thank you really. How do we go about it, and how much do people normally tip?

Tangfastics Wed 13-Dec-17 17:03:59

I stick a tenner in a card labelled ‘our postie’ and then prop in in the wreath on the front door.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:05:04

I put a tenner in a Christmas card and sellotape it to our post box. I know his name so put that on.

HildaZelda Wed 13-Dec-17 17:05:57

We seem to have a different one every 5 minutes so I don't do anything.

Tangfastics Wed 13-Dec-17 17:07:24

I also tip the bin men.

gingeranium Wed 13-Dec-17 17:17:05

Hilda I’ve always had that kind of thing too, I think that’s why I appreciate this one so much now

gingeranium Wed 13-Dec-17 17:18:11

A tenner was what I was thinking so that’s good!

crisscrosscranky Wed 13-Dec-17 17:57:09

This is so much more civilised than AIBU where you would be aiding and abetting a tax dodger 😂

I've never tipped our postie. I'm 29; is it a generational thing?

6demandingchildren Wed 13-Dec-17 18:10:16

I always write in the card to the postie that they can always knock if they need to use the loo.
My daughter is a postie and it's horrible holding on for so long.

Madbengalmum Wed 13-Dec-17 18:12:03

Usually get him a gift tbh.

gingeranium Wed 13-Dec-17 18:49:48

criss I’m the same age as you!

6 that’s a lovely idea. I would hate a job on the road with no access to loos.

retainertrainer Wed 13-Dec-17 19:03:54

My DH is a postie,he’s had the same round for 8 years now and people are so kind and generous. He made £300 in tips last year plus numerous bottles of wine and chocolates. DS even had a few gifts.

Pop the tip in a card and hand it to him or leave it somewhere he’ll see it. It’ll be very much appreciated.

Bubblebubblepop Wed 13-Dec-17 19:04:59

No because we never have the same one but I would if we have a regular

Hauntedlobster Wed 13-Dec-17 19:05:59

My tip for my postman is when he’s filling in a wee card he should tell me which neighbour he’s given my stuff to....

Pinkitis Wed 13-Dec-17 19:07:45

That’s a good idea. I will tip my postie a tenner as my redirection ran out but he still posts anything I have forgotten to redirect.

Cabininthewoods69 Wed 13-Dec-17 19:12:57

How do I go about tipping him men? Sorry please don't feel I'm taking over or trying to change the thread. It's just I read that someone does already

CarolineForbes Wed 13-Dec-17 19:16:52

Sorry if this is silly but how do you make sure it doesn’t get stolen? I live in a city centre. I’m always at work when they come so I don’t see my postie or bin men but I would like to do something nice for them (but be sure they actually get it blush )

Tangfastics Wed 13-Dec-17 19:19:34

Re tipping the bin men, there’s no where practical to leave it so I just run out with a card for them.

gingeranium Wed 13-Dec-17 19:24:04

Ah yes, I wonder how people in city centres manage to do it? We live at the top of a hill away from the road (hence why the poor bugger deserves a tip!) so sticking it on the door would be fairly safe. I might try and catch him though. I really ought to learn his name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now