Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How often did your ebf baby poop?

(10 Posts)
ConjugalHoliday Wed 13-Dec-17 15:06:06

Asking because my ebf four month DD only poops every 3-4 days. Once it was 5 days! She seems fine, when it comes it's soft and she doesn't seem to struggle to get it out. I spoke to our GP over the phone and they said ideally a baby should go every day. DD has never done this! GP suggested Laculose but I'd prefer not to give anything unless she really needs it.

Does everyone have their own 'normal' or could this be something to be concerned about?

dragonmummy17 Wed 13-Dec-17 15:17:57

It's totally normal for a ebf baby to go up to 10 days without pooing, as they are just using the milk efficiently for their needs. Equally some ebf babies go daily or several times a day. Constipation in babies looks like rabbit droppings. Babycentre has a poo gallery with pictures that you can look at to check...

BringOnTheScience Wed 13-Dec-17 15:21:46

DS was like this. Once a week poonami. We had a trip to NZ and I was praying that he had a clear out the day before the flight 😂

lorelairoryemily Wed 13-Dec-17 15:23:12

When I was breastfeeding ds every single nappy was dirty!

Ifitquackslikeaduck Wed 13-Dec-17 15:23:21

10 days was the record for one of mine. Only once or twice a week was normal for her with no constipation or anything.
My friend's baby would be going every 5 minutes (or so it seemed when we were trying to go out smile )

sophie150 Wed 13-Dec-17 15:35:39

Your gp is talking nonsense! Both of mine went once every 5-7 days. Neither were distressed about it. Although current dd is farting furiously (and stinkily) and gets progressively worse up until her weekly poo.

strongandlong Wed 13-Dec-17 15:37:11

Every 5 days like clockwork. They were huge when they arrived!

QueenAravisOfArchenland Wed 13-Dec-17 15:37:49

Your GP is talking rubbish and/or using the yardstick of formula fed babies. 10+ days between poos is acknowledged as totally normal in ebf babies.

Mine went every 3rd day as rule, although he went up to 6 days at times without ever being constipated or uncomfortable.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Wed 13-Dec-17 15:38:46

Both mine were EBF. DD was about once a week and DS was slightly more frequent. Lots of wet nappies though and no discomfort when they did produce their explosive and soft verging on runny dirty nappies.

ConjugalHoliday Wed 13-Dec-17 15:41:38

I feel much better knowing this isn't unusual. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now