Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you think school uniform is a good thing?

(127 Posts)
IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Wed 13-Dec-17 14:55:57

http://www.bfmtv.com/societe/l-uniforme-a-l-ecole-ne-fait-pas-l-unanimite-1325194.html

Was seeing in French media that they are considering introducing uniforms at school. It is rare in Europe generally but common in Japan and Australia for example.

Was pondering whether I would be in favour or against if we didn’t already have it here?

Mine have been allowed to wear ordinary smartish clothes for sixth form and it has been no problem. When they are 16-18 it seems weird to all wear the same, but I suppose many adults wear uniform in work.

What do others think?

Wheelywheel Wed 13-Dec-17 14:57:35

I like them. It keeps things simple and stops competitive fashion wars.

catlovingdoctor Wed 13-Dec-17 15:00:02

Yes, I think they are good. I always really liked wearing mine; I think it helps instill a sense of pride in appearance and professional image. It prepares you for the world of work, and as mentioned also stops school children being made to feel inadequate/superior based on what clothes brands their parents can afford.

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Wed 13-Dec-17 15:01:00

I don’t like it when it has to be badged and is only sold at one shop at inflated prices. And not even good quality. State school, too.

Tinselistacky Wed 13-Dec-17 15:01:37

Oldest dc is 28 and over the years (lots of younger siblings) the uniform has been much appreciated in terms of financial sense and the hassle of selecting items every day!!
IF ONLY the school wouldn't decide of late to make adjustments during the school year - for example despite ds having trousers from the school uniform section of a popular supermarket, school have now decided they are unsuitable for school - suggested to ds they were his Saturday night out ones - he is 13!!
And dd is not allowed to wear socks from January, it's tights only!!

RestingGrinchFace Wed 13-Dec-17 15:01:55

It is a good way to teach children how to dress smartly and how to take care of smart clothing, polishing shoes, ironing shirts, caring for blazers etc.

paxillin Wed 13-Dec-17 15:02:41

I don't really care. I said that once in RL, I was the only one who didn't care.

Babymamamama Wed 13-Dec-17 15:04:44

It's good. It's a social leveller. It reduces wardrobe dilemmas. I like how you invest in school shoes and know they will be worn until they are too small. There's too much pressure on children to have the right stuff and I'm glad to keep it out of the classroom.

AuntLydia Wed 13-Dec-17 15:05:33

I'm with pax. I'm not massively interested in clothes and fashion so as long as what they have to wear is appropriate/warm and not too expensive or hard to get hold off I don't care really. My eldest is in secondary and her uniform is a hoodie and she wears skinny black trousers with it. She'd probably just wear different coloured hoodies and trousers if there wasn't a uniform!

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Wed 13-Dec-17 15:07:21

Yes, mine aren’t Interested in clothes particularly so it would be cheaper to get them casual stuff. If you have brand aware or fashion conscious dcs it would be more expensive.

Crackednips Wed 13-Dec-17 15:08:40

My nieces and nephew went to the Lycee Fraincais here in London. All of the have flat feet, their mother says as a result of never being forced to wear leather shoes. They wouldn't listen to her and the school let them wear what they liked..

presentcontinuous Wed 13-Dec-17 15:09:00

We've lived in France and the UK, so my children have had uniform and no uniform and they all prefer uniform. DD has a simple one in her 6th form and it makes life miles easier and cheaper. They used to spend ages choosing the next day's outfit as young teenagers, it was a monumental and constant expense to keep them in acceptable clothes.

Uniform is not part of French culture at all though, never has been, not in professional life either (bank staff, postal workers etc all wear their own clothes in France) so it'll be a tough one to implement.

TangledInTinsel Wed 13-Dec-17 15:11:05

No, I think it's totally impractical and am very glad my DC don't have uniform. When it rains, they go to school in rain gear, when it snows, they go in ski clothes. When its sunny, they can wear sun hats. They can wear well-fitting, waterproof shoes. Even the girls! No having to worry if the eyelets are the right colour and being stuck with flimsy, non-weatherproof shoes because they're the only ones which are black. No freezing becuase they have to wear tights, thin jumpers etc all year round. If its cold they can wear vests under their long sleeved t-shirts.

My DH and everyone at work went to school without uniform. They still manage to get dressed to come to the office. Really not sure how having a uniform as a child would help an adult get dressed.

ProperLavs Wed 13-Dec-17 15:12:37

It's much better. Stops the angst over looking good and buying the latest clothing. It's simple and easy to get dressed and most uniforms are pretty cheap ( state schools).

Dd1 is in junior school and wears no uniform. I see the arguments on either side but generally prefer no uniform.

It allows a bit of self-expression and individuality , encourages children to select clothes fit for weather and task and means they get a decent amount of use out of their normal clothes.

Dd is almost 8 and while I have never yet heard of anyone being picked on for old or unfashionable clothes, I expect that generally starts when they are a bit older.

Do unifirm kids never tease or be teased over shoes/coats/bags etc? Surely children can almost always find something to pick on. It’s best, in my opinion, to teach them from day 1 that this sort of teasing isnt on, and that clothes and wealth are not the be-all and end-all.

The children in dd1’s school have a strong sense of belonging and take pride in their school. Uniform is not the only way to instill that.

Eolian Wed 13-Dec-17 15:14:33

No. I am a teacher and used to be in favour of uniform but have gradually changed my mind.
Imo the only possible justifucation for it is the theory that it prevents competitive fashion, but I'm totally unconvinced by this.

Firstly, is there any indication that uniformed British kids are any less competitive about fashion than their non-uniformed European peers? I doubt it. In fact I've heard several French and German people say the reverse is true.

In any case, in the absence of actual outfits to be competitive over, kids just obsess about who's got the coolest bag, pencil case, trainers, phone etc. Or who wears the most make-up or rolls their skirt up the highest. Everyone knows who the cool kids are. Kids will create that hierarchy out of whatever is available.

All the other arguments in favour - pride in your school image (yeah, right!), cost (read the many threads on here complaining about uniform cost!) are nonsense imo.

The biggest con of all is the idea that uniform, in and of itself, improves behaviour. Not true. A formal, traditional uniform might attract more aspirational parents with well-behaved dc, but it doesn't actually improve behaviour in the school. It just wastes teachers' time by giving them trivial things to discipline kids about, and it pisses off and alienates kids, who quite rightly think "Why can't I do my maths just as well with trainers on?!"

Finally... why 'train them to dress for the workplace' hmm when loads of them will be going off to university where they can wear whatever they like or a job with smart clothes but no uniform?

Apologies for the essay. grin

RandomUsernameHere Wed 13-Dec-17 15:21:15

I'm against uniform. When children are really little they have no idea how much things cost anyway and when they are older it's going to be obvious whose parents are rich and whose are poor regardless of whether they wear uniform.
I've just shelled out hundreds of pounds for uniform which is horrible, all acrylic and polyester and really stiff and uncomfortable. There wasn't a choice to get it elsewhere as the items have a logo or are very specific.

RandomUsernameHere Wed 13-Dec-17 15:26:22

Also, it doesn't save money as you still need to have quite a few non-uniform outfits for them in the holidays, unless you want to be doing laundry every day.

ShovingLeopard Wed 13-Dec-17 15:29:21

What Eolian said ^

Sirzy Wed 13-Dec-17 15:29:23

It makes getting ds who is autistic ready for school much easier!

His school in sensible though and are relaxed and reasonably priced

Madamfrog Wed 13-Dec-17 15:33:42

It is only for primary school and the uniform is likely to be the 'blouse' ie a sort of big painting apron with sleeves, as worn here in primary schools until the 70s. Not at all the same as uniform in the UK. We have never had uniform in lycée and I don't see it happening.

reetgood Wed 13-Dec-17 15:35:20

I think it’s a total waste of time, for all the reasons helpfully laid out in @eolian’s post!

Crackednips Wed 13-Dec-17 15:39:17

They said for boys at the Lycee it was all Abercrombie and Fitch at that time [4/5 years ago] and very expensive 'Vans' training shoes.

Anyone who wore anything other than, was considered a bit of a "Chav"..

LondonLassInTheCountry Wed 13-Dec-17 15:44:21

I think its a good idea.
Parents havent got money for all the latest trends and it can cause bullying i believe.

Smart dress every day is also alot for parents to fork out on , thst not everyone can afford

Crackednips Wed 13-Dec-17 15:45:14

I agree

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now